Jump to content
,

Sitka Fortress of the Bear


masspector
 Share

Recommended Posts

We used a shuttle bus in 2017 that ran from the Visitor Center in downtown to Fortress of the Bear, the Raptor Center and Totem Park then back to the Visitor Center every hour. It was $ 10 pp roundtrip. I’m not sure if it is still operating or not. 
 

It looks like you can take the Blue Route on TheRide public bus to the Gary Paxton Industrial Park stop and Fortress of the Bear is a 5-6 min walk:

 

https://moovitapp.com/index/amp/en/public_transit-Fortress_Of_the_Bear-Sitka_AK-site_17106539-4614

 

https://ridesitka.com/the-ride/

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, masspector said:

Cruise is in May 2023.  What is the most efficient, most affordable way to get back and forth from the dock to fortress of the bear?  Uber? Taxi?  Thanks

We rode bikes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for the replies.  I will check public transport early next year to make sure still running and schedules.  Bikes sounds interesting too.  Will check that also.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Take the ship shuttle from the dock into town.  At the Visitor Center/Convention Center you should be able to take the bus mentioned above by @JT1962.  The bus does a loop that will take you to the Fortress of the Bears and to the Raptor Center and returns to the Visitor Center.  It’s like a hop on hop off.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, oaktreerb said:

Take the ship shuttle from the dock into town.  At the Visitor Center/Convention Center you should be able to take the bus mentioned above by @JT1962.  The bus does a loop that will take you to the Fortress of the Bears and to the Raptor Center and returns to the Visitor Center.  It’s like a hop on hop off.  

Thanks...Was looking for this option for our extended family port stop in Sitka in September.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, oaktreerb said:

Take the ship shuttle from the dock into town.  At the Visitor Center/Convention Center you should be able to take the bus mentioned above by @JT1962.  The bus does a loop that will take you to the Fortress of the Bears and to the Raptor Center and returns to the Visitor Center.  It’s like a hop on hop off.  

I havent seen any reference to this shuttle in the last couple years, any confirmation it still is running?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, maranelloboy05 said:

I havent seen any reference to this shuttle in the last couple years, any confirmation it still is running?

OP is asking about May 2023 and I’m hoping tourist opportunities return to normal by then.  May is early in the tourist season.  I would contact the Fortress of the Bears in early May to see if things are getting back to normal!  In 2022 it seems to be open on certain days.  People at the visitor center should be able to advise how to best get there.  You can walk to the Raptor Center through the Totem Park but the Fortress of the Bears would be a long walk.  

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Ashland said:

Thanks...Was looking for this option for our extended family port stop in Sitka in September.

It looks like Fortress of the Bears is only open on certain days in 2022.  September is late in the cruise season so ????  Ask at the Visitor’s Center if it’s open and how to get there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, oaktreerb said:

It looks like Fortress of the Bears is only open on certain days in 2022.  September is late in the cruise season so ????  Ask at the Visitor’s Center if it’s open and how to get there.

Yes...I know it's late in the season as we usually go mid to late May but schedules with the extended family and us being heavily booked on cruises this year only gave us this option.

Thanks we'll check at the VC when we arrive.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, maranelloboy05 said:

I havent seen any reference to this shuttle in the last couple years, any confirmation it still is running?

 

Have you contacted the Sitka visitors center to ask?  I suspect their e-mail address is in the helpful thread titled "2019 resources ...."

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/18/2022 at 11:28 AM, JT1962 said:

We used a shuttle bus in 2017 that ran from the Visitor Center in downtown to Fortress of the Bear, the Raptor Center and Totem Park then back to the Visitor Center every hour. It was $ 10 pp roundtrip. I’m not sure if it is still operating or not. 
 

It looks like you can take the Blue Route on TheRide public bus to the Gary Paxton Industrial Park stop and Fortress of the Bear is a 5-6 min walk:

 

https://moovitapp.com/index/amp/en/public_transit-Fortress_Of_the_Bear-Sitka_AK-site_17106539-4614

 

https://ridesitka.com/the-ride/

 

Best to check a little before your trip.  Found this from 2020

 

As part of the restart, we revised the Blue Line schedule and it no longer includes the Gary Paxton Industrial Park. For now, the Blue Line will turn around at Whale Park.

 

Also it looks like the bus does not run on the weekends.  M-F only.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: Experience more Co-op Holidays
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...