Dublin - Dun Laoghaire

Curious as to what everyone's plans are for Dublin.  It appears that there is an Irish Rail station not far from the dock, and the train ride into Dublin is around 20-30 minutes or so.  Thinking about getting on a Ho ho bus and just riding around the city, maybe stopping at St. Patrick's and the Guinness Storefront.  We have several shore excursions planned, so I thought it might be nice to do Dublin a bit differently.  

• Like 1

Did a quick search and it seems the station is very close to where the ship docks, trains seem to run every 15 minutes or so, the journey is only about 20 minutes and the price is around 10 euro return.

Seems a good alternative to the Princess shuttle---anyone know how much they charge?.

• Like 1

Most ships do not dock in Dun Laoghaire, it is a tender port. Only the smallest ship actually dock.

The map shows  (red X) where the tender will drop you and the train station (dart station) is underlined in red.

Dun Laoghaire Tender.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

On 7/26/2022 at 10:14 PM, nini said:

After tendering, we walked a bit and bought train tickets to Dublin. Our stop was close to Trinity College and worked well as we had tickets for The Book of Kells.

We too booked tickets online for Trinity College to avoid lines. The Books of Kells was very interesting and the The Long Room is stunning!  After we walked along the River Liffey to the Temple Bar area and had an Irish Coffee. Then, we stopped in at Christ Church Cathedral and St. Patrick's. Great day.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WESTEAST said:

We too booked tickets online for Trinity College to avoid lines. The Books of Kells was very interesting and the The Long Room is stunning!  After we walked along the River Liffey to the Temple Bar area and had an Irish Coffee. Then, we stopped in at Christ Church Cathedral and St. Patrick's. Great day.

The Long Room was HEAVENLY!

• Like 2

Train station is quite close to where the tenders dock (as you can see on the map).  It's a good idea to look at the train website and be ready with where to go, connections etc.  You can get off quite to Trinity College and the book of Kells.

On 7/30/2022 at 12:08 PM, Nodakboiler said:

We've been to Dublin several times and are thinking about taking a train to an Irish village maybe an hour away to get a pub lunch and walk around. Anyone have any suggestions on a town to visit? TIA

We took the train to the town of Howth.  It is a very scenic town and you can do some of the Coastal Walk.  

• Like 2

I'm from Dublin, Take the Dart to Greystones direction to see the coast or opposite way to Howth or Malahide. All lovely seaside villages with great restaurants etc. Or stop off in the City , Pearse station is best for Trinity college and centre of Dublin
I actully was in Dun Laoghaire yesterday and the Dart had a 90 minute special for 2 euro. 

The DART is safe for anyone wondering - just be vigilant as you would anywhere else

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 7/30/2022 at 3:08 PM, Nodakboiler said:

We've been to Dublin several times and are thinking about taking a train to an Irish village maybe an hour away to get a pub lunch and walk around. Anyone have any suggestions on a town to visit? TIA

We'd love to know suggestions to that question too!  Thx!

When I was in Dublin I enjoyed The EPIC Irish immigration museum.  It was fascinating to see the history of immigration and the interactive aspect made it easy to stay engaged.  I am not usually a museum person, especially with all the pubs around, but this stood out.