Booked our first Princess Cruise - have many questions

Muffinz

Ok, so we’ve booked our cruise on Majestic for Feb 2023

Being a Princess newbie we’re going to have many questions before the cruise, so the first main question is – what restaurants / food / eating places are included in the cruise fare?

I’ve looked at Princess website:- https://www.princess.com/ships-and-experience/food-and-dining/whats-included/ but this doesn’t actually list all the food places that are included - it looks like there are 2 main dining rooms?

If someone can tell me what places are included in the cruise fare that would be much appreciated

Also what power / electrical outlets do they have in your stateroom?

From memory on celebrity there were 2 x USA and 1 x European power outlets

Just need to know in case we need to buy any adaptors to plug in our USB chargers

thanks in advance 😃

24 minutes ago, Muffinz said:

Being a Princess newbie we’re going to have many questions before the cruise, so the first main question is – what restaurants / food / eating places are included in the cruise fare?

I’ve looked at Princess website:- https://www.princess.com/ships-and-experience/food-and-dining/whats-included/ but this doesn’t actually list all the food places that are included - it looks like there are 2 main dining rooms?

If someone can tell me what places are included in the cruise fare that would be much appreciated

Just need to know in case we need to buy any adaptors to plug in our USB chargers

thanks in advance 😃

3 Main dining rooms.  The International Cafe.  Anything up on the Lido deck including the buffet are all free.  I don' t know about the outlets as every ship is different but they are always limited in supply.  You can bring a power strip as long as it does not have a surge protector.  I bring a small thing that has 2 regular outlets and 2 USB ports.  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Muffinz said:

thanks in advance 😃

Your ship (and but two of them) have three main DR's (two of the other ships have these split in half).  All DR's have same menus/food.  There are various versions of a buffet.  Newer ships have Worldfresh Marketplace.  You have International Cafe for small bites and coffee-related drinks.  Free food venues on deck like burgers and pizza.  This can vary some by ship as to the other venues.  You were on the right page, but also look at your ship's deck plan to get more familiar.  Basically, almost all food items are free except for the Specialty Dining restaurants. 

We always bring a non-surge-protection power cord for additional US outlets.  1-2 US outlets around desk/table and Euro outlets behind/beside bed is typical.  Some newer ships or remodels do have USB outlets near bedside (but not sure if it's even in all cabins).

• Like 1

I should mention that room service is also included. There are a couple items that have a fee but the app will tell you. And you don’t necessarily have to have it delivered to your room. They can bring it to you wherever you are 

• Like 2

There is a page (PDF) with Dining Venues Details and Hours  . Sorry do not know how to link it. But it is about half way down the page  search  Princess Dining - the story of our food .  Underneath the section  See what our chefs have cooked up.   Its a really good summary of all the ships dining options,

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies - very helpful!

I’ll download the app closer to the time 

looks like they don’t have set dining times but something called ‘dine my way’?

We’ve got so much to learn about the ship and facilities before we go, but really looking forward to it

I’m going to look for video clips of the ship on YouTube so I can get familiar with the layout 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Muffinz said:

We’ve got so much to learn about the ship and facilities before we go, but really looking forward to it

I’m going to look for video clips of the ship on YouTube so I can get familiar with the layout 

Yes. So in the app, you can make your dining reservations. Or you could even just turn up when you want to eat. 

2 hours ago, Muffinz said:

We do like that the International Cafe serves savoury items as well as cakes etc., which is a little different to Cafe al Bacio on X.

4 hours ago, robncruise said:

There is a page (PDF) with Dining Venues Details and Hours  . Sorry do not know how to link it. But it is about half way down the page  search  Princess Dining - the story of our food .  Underneath the section  See what our chefs have cooked up.   Its a really good summary of all the ships dining options,

Here's the link to the PDF.

the story of our food (princess.com)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, suekel said:

3 Main dining rooms.  The International Cafe.  Anything up on the Lido deck including the buffet are all free.  I don' t know about the outlets as every ship is different but they are always limited in supply.  You can bring a power strip as long as it does not have a surge protector.  I bring a small thing that has 2 regular outlets and 2 USB ports.  

Some items offered on Lido deck are not included...MOST are free.

4 hours ago, Muffinz said:

Be sure to join your roll call.

If you like sushi, there's the Ocean Terrace that charges for it. The menu is below. The three primary specialty restaurants that cost extra on the Majestic are the Crown Grill, Harmony, and Bistro Sur la Mer. The menus for each are posted on the Princess website. When I sailed on the Majestic last summer, my friends loved Harmony but were disappointed in the Crown Grill. Perhaps it was just an off night.

YouTube has videos of all of the specialty restaurants.

20220208_170643.jpg

20220208_170646.jpg

We book the same time at the same dinning room for the week on the app and the the first night we tell the head waiter we want the same table every night.

It works best with a later time like 7;00

Edited by scott4020

1 hour ago, geoherb said:

When I sailed on the Majestic last summer, my friends loved Harmony but were disappointed in the Crown Grill. Perhaps it was just an off night.

Funny, with us it was just the opposite.  We loved Crown Grill (as usual) but were very disappointed with Harmony.  My DW is from southern China and lived in Hong Kong so we're used to really authentic Cantonese food.  We were looking forward to Harmony since the Majestic was built for the Asian market but when they brought the ship to the west coast they Americanized the food way too much.   Maybe if you like Americanized Chinese food you'll like it but we won't go back.

• Like 1

I see some posters mention surge-protected power bars in this thread.  Are these not allowed by Princess?  Are regular extension cords allowed?  I will be on Enchanted Princess next year and I use a CPAP machine.  Will I need an extension cord to power the machine in a mini suite?

12 minutes ago, Yowman said:

I see some posters mention surge-protected power bars in this thread.  Are these not allowed by Princess?  Are regular extension cords allowed?  I will be on Enchanted Princess next year and I use a CPAP machine.  Will I need an extension cord to power the machine in a mini suite?

Elect extension cords with surge protection are specifically not allowed.   Elect extension cords without surge protectors are allowed.   

From Princess: 

"power strips, multi plug box outlets/adaptors, and extension cords without surge protectors are allowed on board when used with proper caution. However, if such devices are determined to pose a hazard they will be removed and returned the last day of the cruise prior to disembarkation."

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Yowman said:

Surge protectors are prohibited. How I understand it is that cruise ships are not grounded, like a house, so if there is a surge of electricity it can cause a fire. There are power strips that don’t have surge protection and those are fine. If you’re on Amazon search for cruise power strip. I have a nice one with USB ports that cost around $20. You are allowed to bring an extension cord or you can borrow on onboard. I tend to think it’s a good idea to reach out to princess access office just to give them a heads up about any special needs you might have. Their email is accessofficeprincess@princesscruises.com I know I reached out to let them know my aunt will have a rollator and to arrange a wheelchair embarkation, just to make it a little easier on her.

• Like 1