Sloths AND West Beach

LoungingMcCoy

Chances are we are heading back to Mahogany Bay for our next cruise.  The first time we were there I wanted to do the sloth excursion but nobody else in my party wanted to do that.  (I know...my family is lame sometimes.  lol)  I begrudgingly went on the excursion they picked which ended up on West Beach for a couple of hours.  It was a blast.  I want to do both when we are there next.

Is this possible?  Do you have to do a specific excursion just for the sloths or can we just show up and buy a ticket?

If anyone has done this advice would be appreciated. 

3 minutes ago, LoungingMcCoy said:

Chances are we are heading back to Mahogany Bay for our next cruise.  The first time we were there I wanted to do the sloth excursion but nobody else in my party wanted to do that.  (I know...my family is lame sometimes.  lol)  I begrudgingly went on the excursion they picked which ended up on West Beach for a couple of hours.  It was a blast.  I want to do both when we are there next.

Is this possible?  Do you have to do a specific excursion just for the sloths or can we just show up and buy a ticket?

If anyone has done this advice would be appreciated. 

A quick search for “sloth” in this forum brings up multiple threads and sloth locations, many of course, before cruising was halted.

However this one may be helpful

• 3 weeks later...

Update since I wrote the above in 2019  After 32 years and 60+/-, we took a break from cruising and begin traveling to Roatan for 1 to 2 weeks each year.  Last month was our 3rd year we've visited.

A few weeks ago, we visited Mayan Eden and loved it.  The monkeys roam outside cages.  The guides are sure you have plenty of time to interact with them.  You will also get to hold a sloth and large tropical bird.  There are also other animals.  It is in a beautiful jungle-like setting and has a long suspended bridge.  I think we have visted all of the places that have interactions with monkeys and sloths.  This is our favorite.  Please remember a few dollars for the guides. Also, there is lot of shade - nice on sunny days. I highly recommend this place.

This could be your timeline - Of course, I have not idea what time you arrive or depart.  From our experiences, this is how your day could go.

Arrive Roatan:  10am

Disembark:       10:30am

Meet Rony/Drive to Mayan Eden:  11am

Mayan Eden:  11am - 12pm 

Drive to West Bay - Arrive:  12:30pm

West Bay Beach:  12:30pm - 4:30pm

Drive to port - Arrive 5pm-5:15pm 

Notes:  I'd book the Freestyle tour with Rony so you can move through your day at your own pace.  He has always provided great service and has become a friend over the years.  He will make sure you day goes smoothly.

I looked at our recent photos - times tell me that we were at Mayan Eden for 1 hour and 8 minutes.  There were 9 in our group and we took tons of photos.  We have visited the monkeys/sloths at least 10-12 times at different places around Roatan.  So much fun every time!  You could have a great visit here in 1 hour.

This "timeline" allows for 4 hours on the beach.  While visiting on cruise ships in the past, 4 hours was a nice amount of time for us to spend at the beach.  For $15 per person, you could get dropped at Foster's.  They offer beach chairs and have a small pool.  The are away from the busiest part of the beach on cruise ship days. 

Just another note - we are not people who get back to the ship 2 hours ahead of departure, but  we also don't want to become Youtube Pier runners.  We usually only allow a cushion of 15-30 minutes to make the most of our port days.  So far, so good.  West Bay is about 30 minutes from Mahogany Bay.  We allow 40-45.  If you are nervous about this - you may want to allow a little more time.  That's another nice aspect of doing Rony's freestyle tour.  If it rains or you want to leave a little earlier or later than planned, they will be available on your schedule.

• Like 1