Any Craft Beers on Tap on Breakaway?

2boyzmom

We were on the Breakaway in June and I was really disappointed by the beer selection. Nothing/zero/nada in terms of craft beers. In most places, the only thing on tap was Bud Light. Maltings (next to Syd Norman's) had one additional beer on tap, but the name of it escapes me. I was only able to find one IPA (Goose Island).

I switched over to mixed drinks for most of the cruise, which is very unusual for me...

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, wil e coyote said:

We were on the Breakaway in June and I was really disappointed by the beer selection. Nothing/zero/nada in terms of craft beers. In most places, the only thing on tap was Bud Light. Maltings (next to Syd Norman's) had one additional beer on tap, but the name of it escapes me. I was only able to find one IPA (Goose Island).

I switched over to mixed drinks for most of the cruise, which is very unusual for me...

That's a problem. I recall O'Sheehans having a few decent beers in the past. I guess i will have to suffer with Patron 🙂

4 minutes ago, 2boyzmom said:

That's a problem. I recall O'Sheehans having a few decent beers in the past. I guess i will have to suffer with Patron 🙂

O'Sheehans had nothing special. We went there for a meal and asked for their draft beer list - it was short - Bud Light! I passed on that. I think I had a Stella or a Heineken.

I really think they had Boddington's ESB at O'Sheehans pre-pandemic, but my memory might be faulty.

8 minutes ago, wil e coyote said:

O'Sheehans had nothing special. We went there for a meal and asked for their draft beer list - it was short - Bud Light! I passed on that. I think I had a Stella or a Heineken.

I really think they had Boddington's ESB at O'Sheehans pre-pandemic, but my memory might be faulty.

How do you have a bar called maltings Bar and Whiskey bar with no taps? Weird.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, 2boyzmom said:

How do you have a bar called maltings Bar and Whiskey bar with no taps? Weird.

To be fair, they had two - Bud Light and the other beer I cannot remember. But I agree with your question. How can O'Sheehans not have anything Irish? Even Guinness?

• Like 2

For primarily this reason, the newer ships with District Brewhouse are our priority when booking. I feel really frivolous saying that, but it's swayed our choice of cruise vacation more than once. I don't mind the smaller, older ships, but the decor, Food Republic, and craft beer variety offered by District Brewhouse are primary reasons we choose the newer ships. It's more important to me than number of spots available on the pool deck or time it takes to move around the ship, for sure.

And yeah, it still doesn't measure up to craft beer offerings on land, but there are reasonable supply and cost issues they need to contend with. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, weltek said:

For primarily this reason, the newer ships with District Brewhouse are our priority when booking. I feel really frivolous saying that, but it's swayed our choice of cruise vacation more than once. I don't mind the smaller, older ships, but the decor, Food Republic, and craft beer variety offered by District Brewhouse are primary reasons we choose the newer ships. It's more important to me than number of spots available on the pool deck or time it takes to move around the ship, for sure.

And yeah, it still doesn't measure up to craft beer offerings on land, but there are reasonable supply and cost issues they need to contend with. 

I'm the same way. I recently went on a Bermuda cruise, and I live close to Boston, but arguably the main reason I chose the one out of NYC instead was because the Joy had DB and the Pearl didn't. While on the Joy I tried FR for the first time and it was great! It'll definitely be another venue that helps tip the scales for me.

• Like 1

You need to have a chat with the bartender in O'Sheehans as they have a lot more bottles than are listed o the menu Newcastle Brown Ale, Paulaner Weissbier, Blue Moon, Guinness and Goose IPA. 
Agreed its not a great choice but I manage on Paulaner weissbier.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, ziggyuk said:

You need to have a chat with the bartender in O'Sheehans as they have a lot more bottles than are listed o the menu Newcastle Brown Ale, Paulaner Weissbier, Blue Moon, Guinness and Goose IPA. 

That's good to know - thanks. So apparently it was our waiter who didn't get the memo...

2 hours ago, ziggyuk said:

Yes, always ask the bartenders! I remember drinking one cruise out of Celebrator Dopplebock that was on its last supply and it wasn't listed anywhere. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, wil e coyote said:

That's good to know - thanks. So apparently it was our waiter who didn't get the memo...

So true, even when I told the waiters what I wanted they looked like they didn't know what I was talking about. Best thing is have a chat with the bartender and take a picture of what you like.