Dress code Breakaway Ocean Blue question

helene109

I just got back from an Alaskan cruise.  We had dinner one night in the Brazilian steak house and we were all dressed up.  My wife had on a nice dress with sandals.  I had on a collared shirt and linen pants and dress sandals.  She was fine.  I was told I could not wear sandals.  Instead I went back and put on my dirty muddy sneakers which I had just worn ashore that day and while they looked horrible, it met their requirements.  Not sexist at all.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Or, you can dine outside along the waterfront and not worry about what shoes/sandals you're wearing.  That would be my choice!

So if you dine outside at Ocean Blue you don’t have to follow the dress code??

1 minute ago, helene109 said:

So if you dine outside at Ocean Blue you don’t have to follow the dress code??

Correct!  I enjoy dining on the Waterfront more than I do inside, anyway!

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Or, you can dine outside along the waterfront and not worry about what shoes/sandals you're wearing.  That would be my choice!

We've never dined outside at the specialty restaurants on NCL or any of the other lines.  You sound as if you've done it before.  Has wind ever been a problem?  Do you tend to eat early or late?

31 minutes ago, helene109 said:

Is it 2 separate areas? Trying to understand. Thanks 

The Waterfront Dining is right outside the Ocean Blu inside tables.  Same is true for Cagney’s and LaCucina.

It’s more like a porch area to these specialty restaurants!

23 minutes ago, PATRLR said:

We've never dined outside at the specialty restaurants on NCL or any of the other lines.  You sound as if you've done it before.  Has wind ever been a problem?  Do you tend to eat early or late?

I prefer to dine outside.  Have done so at LaCucina, Cagney’s in addition to Ocean Blu.  WInd wasn’t a problem.  At least, never a problem when I dined on the WaterFront.

Most I’ve experienced was a pleasant warm breeze.

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, PATRLR said:

We've never dined outside at the specialty restaurants on NCL or any of the other lines.  You sound as if you've done it before.  Has wind ever been a problem?  

We have had a lot of nice dinners al fresco. 

I state the obvious, but it totally depends on the weather. We were eating outside at Ocean Blue in Seattle, as soon as the ship got underway, it was so windy that things were flying off the tables and everyone got moved inside. We have been outside when it was so oppressively hot that we moved in. We have been outside when it was so frigid cold (even with the heaters) that we moved in. 

• Like 2

We dined Ocean Blue, waterfront, but on the Bliss.  We were in Alaska, so pretty much the weather dictated our dress code.  Wind was not an issue at all, because I deliberately booked a time when the Bliss was doing a scenic sailing (the ship moves very slowly on scenic sailings), but I suspect wind would not have been that bad anyway, because there were these solid screens on that deck which broke the wind.  Next time I make a reservation there, I'm going to be looking for a time in the itinerary when I reasonably expect to see land starboard side (since that is what side Ocean Blue was on).  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Two Wheels Only said:

Yes, even when there is shade, it can uncomfortable eating outdoors of a restaurant... especially when wearing sweatpants.* (j/k) 😀

LOL.  You need the very lightweight cotton jerseyknit ones with hemmed inseams.  😎  (they run about $45 a pair)

• Like 1

I can see where dining on the Waterfront might be an issue in Alaskan waters either early or late in the sailing season.

Never found it too hot, as the breeze kept things comfortable for us.  But, f there’s a wind blowing, and the ship is underway, I can see where it might get a bit windy.

All-in-all, prefer dining outside.

• Like 2

Ps I know you already mentioned it, but just confirming back in Oct last year, we saw a guy have to go back to his cabin and change because he tried to get into Ocean Blue (inside) on the Breakaway in nice shorts.  That they definitely do enforce.  The food was great by the way!

• Like 1