Vancouver airport or Seattle, then bus / train?

Kitty Ellas Mom

I tried to post this earlier in Alaska forum but it doesn't seem to have posted.  I have rebooked (for the 4th time....) my Vancouver to Whittier Alaska cruise (last time it was going the opposite direction but I chose to start in Vancouver b/c only those are showing as having Skagway on the itinerary for Majestic Princess 2023).  So, I can either arrive at the Vancouver airport from the US east coast, or go to Seattle and then take a bus or train in.  The only reason I'd consider going through Seattle is b/c I've heard so much about how the Vancouver airport is terrible, with several hours long waits for anything.  Do I need to fear this as someone coming in and staying the night?  I plan to allow 2 full days to explore Vancouver before embarkation, and to allow a large buffer in case of flight delays.  I'd love to see Seattle but probably would be very anxious about getting to my final pre cruise destination.  thanks for any advice;  this isn't until early August 2023 so I have plenty of time to figure things out.  I don't plan on booking flights yet b/c I'm deciding between this or a Canada / New England with a group on Caribbean Princess in mid Sept 23.  I'm more likely to go on the Alaska one however b/c I have kids and a long cruise in Sept will interfere with school.  

1 hour ago, Kitty Ellas Mom said:

So, I can either arrive at the Vancouver airport from the US east coast, or go to Seattle and then take a bus or train in.  The only reason I'd consider going through Seattle is b/c I've heard so much about how the Vancouver airport is terrible, with several hours long waits for anything.

Even if it still is bad (which hopefully it wont be) those delays couldn't possibly offset the time and expense you would incur getting from Seattle to Vancouver overland. Amtrak isn't up and running yet (it should be soon from what they are saying) so right now you would be on a bus. You can't even rent a car because one way drops in a different country are massive pains in the behind and expensive (if they will even let you). If Vancouver is where you need to get to, just do yourself a favor and head there. 

1 hour ago, Kitty Ellas Mom said:

I'd love to see Seattle but probably would be very anxious about getting to my final pre cruise destination.

1 night and 2 days you definitely couldn't see both adequately. Go back to Seattle on another trip. 

I never had issues flying into YVR, the current long waits are mainly related to flying out of the airport due to staffing shortages. Besides, you're talking about August of next year, it's anybody's guess.

Have you consider flying back with Alaska airline in Whittier, so you can stopover in Seattle on your way back?

The real problems at YVR were for folks flying out - understaffed security, Covid tests required by the US to board a plane, nightmare. The incoming folks did face issues when there was a covid test on arrival - an extra step that caused major lines on-site as if even one person in a group was flagged the whole party would hang around waiting for Uncle Bob to get tested!

Testing disappeared entirely, and now that it is back (on a much smaller sample size random basis) the testing has been moved to offsite labs, so the flow of pax through the airport itself is back to pretty much normal when arriving. I think there's still a somewhat increased average wait time for bags due to luggage handlers still being understaffed, but all of the staffing issues have been getting notably better this summer, by next year that aspect should no longer be relevant.

flying into YVR would be choice one but next yr when the train is running from Seattle to Vanc might also be an option.  The talk is only one train per day so till the schedule comes out we wont' know but its a very scenic route following the water for most of the way.  With two days prior you have plenty of time to enjoy the train ride to Vanc.

On 8/12/2022 at 7:08 PM, Kitty Ellas Mom said:

Thanks martincath!  I remember that you gave me a plan when I was expecting to be departing from the Vancouver airport in mid June.  That was a much more scary prospect than coming into it. 

Even departing from Vancouver, the problem fundamentally is the contractors used by CASTA (our equivalent to TSA in the US) for security screening let go a large number of staff at the start of COVID.  They were not expecting air travel to come back as quickly as it did this summer.  In addition to hiring the screener they need to go through a fairly long training program.  That made it difficult for them to ramp back up quickly.   

By next summer they should have their staffing issues sorted out.

• Thanks 1