Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Let yet?

Inspiration Going To Calica,mexico

The Inspiration just had a itinerary change starting on the 5 nights April 29th they will go to Calica instead of Cozumel, does anyone know anything about Calica?

From what I understand, Calica itself is not much. A small industrial port.

Unless a lot has changed in the past couple of years.........

However, it's a great spot for getting to some interestng places.

Xcaret, an Eco-Water Park.....has beaches, lagoons, an undergound river to float down and other attractions........http://www.xcaret.com/index.php

Tulum: Mayan Ruins of Tulum....pretty neat...you can see some pictures on my web site www.lifevoyager.net

Playa Del Carmen:A small Mexican town...(but growing fast)...lots of shopping, beaches, etc.......

Check out Carnivals web site for tours to get some ideas.

Hmmmmm, I see on Carnivals site......they offer a tour of Chichen Itza...

But beware.....it's a long long tour......over 3 hours by bus each way...with about 2 hours at the site....plus a stop for lunch...it takes up your whole day.

BUT...If you are hard-core about seeing some great ruins this is the place....

You can see some pictures on my web site http://www.lifevoyager.net

Carnivals website still has Coz listed not calica. Where did you get your info, I would rather calica cause my dh is determined to go to Tulum, no ferry involved in Calica. Hope you are right.

Voyagerfl thank you for all of the information and web sites, I can't seem to find very much information on Calico. Have you been there before ?

Thanks again.

KD

Have been to near-by Playa Del Carmen...........and have taken tours to tulum and Xcaret...........

We were on a cruise once that was supposed to go to Calica and had done a lot of research.........but the port was cancelled due to itinerary changes caused by a hurricane.

We are going on the Imagination April 20 and our port was changed to Calica. I found out because of a posting here about port changes and the Carnival website was changed to Calica.

We are planning on renting a jeep - about $65 - and going to Tulum and the Xel-ha, which is also an eco park, not quite as expensive as Xcaret.

So it sounds like there is plenty to do at this port, but you will need a taxi or rental car to get you there.

We are going on the Imagination April 20 and our port was changed to Calica. I found out because of a posting here about port changes and the Carnival website was changed to Calica.

We are planning on renting a jeep - about $65 - and going to Tulum and the Xel-ha, which is also an eco park, not quite as expensive as Xcaret.

So it sounds like there is plenty to do at this port, but you will need a taxi or rental car to get you there.

Xcaret is a much much larger experience than Xel-Ha

& I do believe there are buses for Xcaret right at the port....

And one can always take the ships tour to Tulum or other places

Is this a permanent itinerary change? I hope not---we are looking forward to PB on Cozumel in August!

Thanks for any info.

CruiserJul-we have been to Xel-ha 2 times and really enjoyed it. Nice way to spend the day. We go out near the point where the salt water meets the fresh water. If you go back towards where the beach/swim area is but keep to the right you will find the best spot to just sit and relax and enjoy the ocean breeze.

...... does anyone know anything about Calica?

Just don't be shocked when you see the 'port of Calica'.:rolleyes: It's a huge working rock quarry only. There may be a few vendor tents. There will definitely be a very long line of cabs and busses to get you outta there!

Going into Playa del Carmen - about a ten minute cab ride, and costs $10 per cab, not per person. PdC has a nice public beach, lots of shopping, and some good restaurants on Avenue 5.

We went to Calica on our first cruise. There is a place called Calica Reef Beach, I think Carnival does an excursion to it. We just grabbed a taxi right off the ship and for $10 (4 people) they took us to this beach. The people there said "are you guys from the cruise ship" we said "yes", she said "why are they sending you in taxis?" We said, we just did it on our own. So we gave the lady $5 and got our snorkeling gear, we were out in the water, on our own for about 30 minutes when the carnival bus pulled up. They unloaded, stood in line for gear and then got in the water for about 45 minutes, then a whistle blew and they loaded up and left. Our dinner table mates were on that trip and they paid $60.00 per person. We stayed all day and paid $5.00!!

I said all that, to say if you like secluded beaches w/ great snorkeling, this would be a great place to go.

Kanda thank you for the information on the Beach, sounds like a lot cheaper way then the Ships tour.

kd

thanks for the 411 on calica reef beach!! we will do what u advise and take a cab! do they have food/drink also?

We went to Calica on our first cruise. There is a place called Calica Reef Beach, I think Carnival does an excursion to it. We just grabbed a taxi right off the ship and for $10 (4 people) they took us to this beach. The people there said "are you guys from the cruise ship" we said "yes", she said "why are they sending you in taxis?" We said, we just did it on our own. So we gave the lady $5 and got our snorkeling gear, we were out in the water, on our own for about 30 minutes when the carnival bus pulled up. They unloaded, stood in line for gear and then got in the water for about 45 minutes, then a whistle blew and they loaded up and left. Our dinner table mates were on that trip and they paid $60.00 per person. We stayed all day and paid $5.00!!

I said all that, to say if you like secluded beaches w/ great snorkeling, this would be a great place to go.

Kanda...is this just for snorkeling? or is there also a beach? If so do they have chairs, unbrellas, food, & drink?

thanks so much

Has anyone been on the Xcaret excursion. We will be in Calica on Oct 3rd and we have been to Cozumel and other parts of Mexico before. No really intrested in shopping or eating.........just want someplace beautiful to explore for the day and then return to the ship at night. I looked on line at the Xcret site and it looks beautiful! Does anyone have any reviews or suggestions?? The Lagoon looks amazing!

So the closest Beach to the ship, how far is it? Can you walk? Is it a nice beach? Etc.

Are these beautiful beaches like you find elsewhere in Mexico? Or does the area around Calica, the industrial part, play a part in making them, "cheap?"

From what I understand, Calica itself is not much. A small industrial port.

Unless a lot has changed in the past couple of years.........

However, it's a great spot for getting to some interestng places.

Xcaret, an Eco-Water Park.....has beaches, lagoons, an undergound river to float down and other attractions........http://www.xcaret.com/index.php

How far is Xcaret from the ship???? Anyone know?

Inspiration has been going to Calica for a while. It does flips back and forth each 14 day period between Coz and Calica. We did the Grand Cayman/Calica in May. My friend went to Tulum through Carnival and couldn't say enough good things about the place. My DSs and I went Fishing the Mayan Riveria and had a blast. We caught 6 Mahi-mahi that they cooked for lunch for us. The same place, Xpu-ha, had a beach break that several of the high school gradutes were enjoying, it included booze. Other than some crazy girls that had gotten tattoos in Grand Cayman:eek: being totally drunk on the bus back to the ship, everything was fabulous!!!

We passed Xcaret on the way. It is very close to the dock, but you will need to take a taxi. Road to dock is not paved, btw.

Inspiration has been going to Calica for a while. It does flips back and forth each 14 day period between Coz and Calica.

.....I was going to book a B2B2B on the Inspiration, but they just changed the Calica port to Cozumel (the same as the OTHER 5 day itinerary). So it looks like they took Calica off of their port list.

:mad:

.....I was going to book a B2B2B on the Inspiration, but they just changed the Calica port to Cozumel (the same as the OTHER 5 day itinerary). So it looks like they took Calica off of their port list.

:mad:

Yep, we're on the last Inspiration sailing to Calica March 1st, 2008. We booked just before the change.

I am sailing on Oct 13th and have not heard anything from Carnival that they have changed us from going to Calica.:mad: I sure hope not had a fun day booked.

Never mind- Next time I guess I should look at the date snorkel2much posted 2008. I guess I can relax now and enjoy my day in Calica.