NCL Agent VS Travel Agent

cusematt4

Hi all,

For a possible cruise, I'd like to get the best offer with any credits and promo.  NCL vs travel agents have the same price, but agencies are offering credits plus I'm also hoping to get our $100 per room amex platinum credit.

Is there any reason why someone would book with NCL over a travel agent?  Does anyone know if I can book with a travel agent who is affiliated with Amex to get an agency credit, Amex platinum credit and shareholder benefit credit?

Thank you.

29 minutes ago, MsTabbyKats said:

I like to book directly because if there's an issue, I don't want to wait for the TA to get involved.  My obc is never that much...and it's worth it to me.  I've had TAs respond too slowly to get price reductions etc.

This. But, I admit we just got off the Bliss and I booked through a TA. And we're booked on the Escape Transatlantic through a TA (free gratuities and OBC). But I'm such a control freak so it is hard for me to go through a TA sometimes. I really have to weigh the pros and cons. Don't do it unless you really understand the pricing and are going through a TA you know and/or trust.

Denise

I totally get the slow to respond aspect!  I have emails out to TWO right now, one hasn't responded at all (though I understand they may be on a TP cruise to NZ or AUS right now) and the other has been a matter of days between communications.  I'm tempted to set myself up with a PCC at NCL and see what magic they can work for me.  I have a deadline coming up (10% coupon expires in less than a week) and I'm 'waffling' on what cabin type I want to book for a Spring cruise based on some responses to questions I have...

11 hours ago, hallux said:

I totally get the slow to respond aspect!  I have emails out to TWO right now, one hasn't responded at all (though I understand they may be on a TP cruise to NZ or AUS right now) and the other has been a matter of days between communications.  I'm tempted to set myself up with a PCC at NCL and see what magic they can work for me.  I have a deadline coming up (10% coupon expires in less than a week) and I'm 'waffling' on what cabin type I want to book for a Spring cruise based on some responses to questions I have...

I would drop any agent who doesn't have a backup when they are traveling. Assess how much money agent will save you versus booking direct. I would only book if it is a significant amount. 

I always compare NCL direct (or actually any of the cruise lines) to a couple of the online TAs.  Every time, the TAs do better.  Sometimes it's just a $100 OBC, other times it's more substantial.  (Coming Encore cruise this November I saved about $700).

I've never had a problem with TA responsiveness.  I do use an agency and there is always someone available if I need something immediately. 

2 hours ago, PATRLR said:

I always compare NCL direct (or actually any of the cruise lines) to a couple of the online TAs.  Every time, the TAs do better.  Sometimes it's just a $100 OBC, other times it's more substantial.  (Coming Encore cruise this November I saved about $700).

I've never had a problem with TA responsiveness.  I do use an agency and there is always someone available if I need something immediately. 

Same with my TA.  She's part of a bigger on line agency.  As such, if she's unavailable, for any reason, there are back ups at the agency who will help.

I haven't booked with an NCL PCC in a while.  But, I remember she was difficult to reach once I booked.  She was leaving me voice mails and urging me to book before I actually pulled the trigger.  After I booked?  She was tough to reach.

I know some people like to keep control of their reservations themselves, but I’ll give you the flip side of that. I use a TA whose pricing is always less than NCL and during Covid they were the ones who took care of everything, spending hours on hold with the cruise lines to get things done. Last week I noticed a price drop on one of my sailings which is past final payment. I sent an email and in a couple of days I had FCCs for almost $500.  It pays to use a TA if you find a good one. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, PATRLR said:

Ditto with me.  If the itinerary of the cruse is so popular and there is only one suite of the class we like available, I will book online and then transfer the booking to my TA.  She too is part of a larger agency, so there is always a back-up available if needed.

I have gotten lower fares and ALWAYS extra OBC when booking through or transferring a booking to her.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Traveling Fools said:

Ditto with me.  If the itinerary of the cruse is so popular and there is only one suite of the class we like available, I will book online and then transfer the booking to my TA.  She too is part of a larger agency, so there is always a back-up available if needed.

I have gotten lower fares and ALWAYS extra OBC when booking through or transferring a booking to her.

Why all of the work on your own, plus the process of the transfer? Why not just book with the travel agent directly? I don't understand the need for the extra steps....especially if the travel agent ALWAYS provides the better deal.

2 minutes ago, SeaShark said:

Why all of the work on your own, plus the process of the transfer? Why not just book with the travel agent directly? I don't understand the need for the extra steps....especially if the travel agent ALWAYS provides the better deal.

I was unaware of the ability to transfer the booking.  When I read this, I immediately thought that might be something I would do. 

Why?  Because I do a significant amount of the research on my own before booking.  When I narrow it down to the point I know what I want to book, it might be just as easy to book it when it's sitting there on the screen in front of me.

For this cruise I have upcoming in November, I don't think "transfer" would apply because the TA rate was so much less than NCL's.  But typically in my experience the actual cruise fare is the same, it's only perks that differ so the transfer might be interesting.

I’ve been using a PCC lately after having a falling out with my TA. On the weekend I booked a B2B online to secure cabins that were in limited supply. Is it possible to transfer the reservations over to the PCC and is there any benefit to them if I do so?

Get yourself a personal cruise consultant at NCL - you get a private line, private email. etc. If you cruise with NCL, RSSC or Oceania reguraly enough you will get much better perks through them. TA's cannot offer the deals that they do. For example, on my next cruise I paid for a balcony got upgraded to a two room Haven suite for free and got $750 of on-board credit and free use of the spa. All through my PCC at NCL. No TA can do that. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, 3664shaken said:

Get yourself a personal cruise consultant at NCL - you get a private line, private email. etc. If you cruise with NCL, RSSC or Oceania reguraly enough you will get much better perks through them. TA's cannot offer the deals that they do. For example, on my next cruise I paid for a balcony got upgraded to a two room Haven suite for free and got $750 of on-board credit and free use of the spa. All through my PCC at NCL. No TA can do that. 

Wow, that’s unbelievable. Really, I don’t believe you!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

One thing they do now if you book though a TA and have a issue you can still call NCL hit the button on the phone stating you used a TA and NCL still helps you. I just did it for a up coming cruise I could not get a discounted 2 meal deal for the second guest in my room online so I called and they fixed it. I have access to everything on my booking.

41 minutes ago, PATRLR said:

I was unaware of the ability to transfer the booking.  When I read this, I immediately thought that might be something I would do. 

Why?  Because I do a significant amount of the research on my own before booking.  When I narrow it down to the point I know what I want to book, it might be just as easy to book it when it's sitting there on the screen in front of me.

For this cruise I have upcoming in November, I don't think "transfer" would apply because the TA rate was so much less than NCL's.  But typically in my experience the actual cruise fare is the same, it's only perks that differ so the transfer might be interesting.

Certainly makes for an interesting dynamic, right? You do all the research, you do all of the work booking, you have to work to get the booking transferred, and the travel agent is the one who gets paid.

Everyone's job should be so easy.

we just booked with a TA.  They gave is the same price that NCL offered but they also included $150 OBC and well as covering the DSC.  Once booked as others have said you can go to NCL site or call them with your NCL booking number.  I did that as well b/c I wanted to check on the sharesholder OBC.  They had no issue helping and didn't even mention I booked with a TA.

12 cruises, first 4 we went direct with NCL. The last 8 I went thru a TA and they have been excellent to deal with. Any issues, problems or changes are handled very quickly. I still also price out my cruise two ways, with NCL and with my TA. TA wins hands down in price, OBC etc..... I would love to post a link to them but I know that's a big no no

Edited by Laszlo

48 minutes ago, SeaShark said:

Certainly makes for an interesting dynamic, right? You do all the research, you do all of the work booking, you have to work to get the booking transferred, and the travel agent is the one who gets paid.

I do my own research and I send the TA an email identifying the ship, room # and date of the cruise.  I do this to ensure there is no misunderstandings of my desire.  Then I send this to my TA because that TA gives an eight percent discount over the NCL direct rate.

1 hour ago, SeaShark said:

I suppose you could trust someone else to do it.  No way I'm going to trust anyone with my travel arrangements.  

16 minutes ago, schmoopie17 said:

We have $1200 in FCC in our account. Can we use the FCC if booking with a TA, or do we need to book with NCL directly to get the credit applied?

Yes, a TA will be able to use the FCC and CruiseNext certificates that you have on your NCL account.