Jump to content
  • Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Global Dream ship to Disney - unconfirmed.


Beezo
 Share

Recommended Posts

Read that it likely will be Asia-only because it doesn't meet regulations for Europe/US markets. (At least that's why Global Dream 2 is being scrapped - too difficult to reconfigure and would be cheaper building from scratch if they need something outside of Asia.)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, BazingAu said:

Read that it likely will be Asia-only because it doesn't meet regulations for Europe/US markets. (At least that's why Global Dream 2 is being scrapped - too difficult to reconfigure and would be cheaper building from scratch if they need something outside of Asia.)

I'm not sure that "regulations" are the issue.  The IMO pretty much is world wide.  But the Asian market has different expectations than the US or Europe.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I wonder if Disney will market this as their "Value" level ship?

 

An Art of Animation or All-Star at sea?

 

..."the addition of this ship will make a Disney Cruise Line vacation accessible to more families than ever before,” said Josh D’Amaro.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Following this thread. Exciting times, never would i have imagined Disney possibly expanding into Asia so soon! Can't wait to see how Global Dream (Disney ? ) comes along. So much happier for the ship to be part of Disney rather than Genting! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Ethanol95 said:

Following this thread. Exciting times, never would i have imagined Disney possibly expanding into Asia so soon! Can't wait to see how Global Dream (Disney ? ) comes along. So much happier for the ship to be part of Disney rather than Genting! 

Disney changes her from 9000 to 6000 pax so intention is not the Asian market.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Saab4444 said:

Disney changes her from 9000 to 6000 pax so intention is not the Asian market.

Well anywhere out of the far west is good enough. And she was specified not to be in the US market, so that doesn't leave her with much choice given how big she is physically as well. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, toad455 said:

I wonder if Disney will add a casino since the Chinese love to gamble?

If i was Disney, I wouldn't. Just cause your competition does it doesn't mean you need to. The target demographic is completely different as well. Disney is too much of a child associated brand and a casino might ruin that. Unless they already have Casinos on the rest of the ships?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, toad455 said:

Disney Cruise Line doesn't have casinos on their ships. The demand for casinos in the Asian market is high, so I wonder if this would deter Asians from booking this ship if there's no casino?

That's good they should definitely keep it that way. I'm from Asia, and if I were to go on a Disney ship with family, i would definitely not expect to see a Casino. Part of adapting for the asian market they could change instead is adding more onboard Disney trademarked gift shops and specially themed shops. This falls in line with Asians general behaviour of spending more onboard at shops instead of a Casino. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

For the ones whom don't know me here, I'm more prevalent on the MSC boards, once it's my cruise line of choice for years, and TBHH, me thinks this ship would be more than handy in current MSC's development cycle; far more than on DCL's one where such a huge megaship doesn't fit well at a first glimpse, making me sort of shocked to see her there!... Of course, rumors stating this ship in MSC's fleet were more than false; MSC has never bid for it. If they wanted if would have been them in a instant!... Though; I'm interested on all cruise lines news and from time to time I come across these DCL boards to stay up to date to the news.

 

Interesting times ahead! DCL might to have been offered un unpassable deal on this one as a business consideration for further future relationships. Basically nobody wished to keep the ship to themselves at regular market price and MW went away with a full settlement delivery model with their best clients in mind. DCL seemed to be the unique interested and negotiated the terms and conditions that better fitted them.

 

As regarding to where they'll redeploy this ship, I believe it will be globally out of the US, especially on places where there isn't a Disney park at the nearby. The UK market, some Italy and part of the Med, Asia, South America, and the likes so that that doesn't "canibalize" the premium product they have on the US or near the parks.

 

As regarding the maritime regulations, they're worldwide. Any ship build in the EU needs to conform them all, and from 5 to 5 years an inspection dry dock must be complete for every cruise ship worldwide to be sea worthy. Even China abides from those standards, mandatory. The problem with these ships is that they're designed with a specific market case in mind. MW will now need to "Disneysify" the Global Dream so that it meets, at least minimally DCL standards. They'll sell it at a premium wherever else a park is distant enough to make a cruise valuable enough.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/17/2022 at 7:43 PM, Nunagoras said:

For the ones whom don't know me here, I'm more prevalent on the MSC boards, once it's my cruise line of choice for years, and TBHH, me thinks this ship would be more than handy in current MSC's development cycle; far more than on DCL's one where such a huge megaship doesn't fit well at a first glimpse, making me sort of shocked to see her there!... Of course, rumors stating this ship in MSC's fleet were more than false; MSC has never bid for it. If they wanted if would have been them in a instant!... Though; I'm interested on all cruise lines news and from time to time I come across these DCL boards to stay up to date to the news.

 

Interesting times ahead! DCL might to have been offered un unpassable deal on this one as a business consideration for further future relationships. Basically nobody wished to keep the ship to themselves at regular market price and MW went away with a full settlement delivery model with their best clients in mind. DCL seemed to be the unique interested and negotiated the terms and conditions that better fitted them.

 

As regarding to where they'll redeploy this ship, I believe it will be globally out of the US, especially on places where there isn't a Disney park at the nearby. The UK market, some Italy and part of the Med, Asia, South America, and the likes so that that doesn't "canibalize" the premium product they have on the US or near the parks.

 

As regarding the maritime regulations, they're worldwide. Any ship build in the EU needs to conform them all, and from 5 to 5 years an inspection dry dock must be complete for every cruise ship worldwide to be sea worthy. Even China abides from those standards, mandatory. The problem with these ships is that they're designed with a specific market case in mind. MW will now need to "Disneysify" the Global Dream so that it meets, at least minimally DCL standards. They'll sell it at a premium wherever else a park is distant enough to make a cruise valuable enough.

Disney Cruise rates are the highest in Europe and Alaska where no park is nearby and not in the Caribbean.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance - Welcome to Cruise Critic
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Cruise News
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...