Christmas markets river cruises 2022 infos and tips

notamermaid

Bucket list trip: Viking from Basel to Amsterdam. Spending 4 days prior in Basel. Any suggestions as to what to do? It's overwhelming!

Also, any not to be missed things to look at on Rhine cruise? 

I am not a drinker so any Christmas type non alcoholic beverages to try in the markets?

Thanks

2 hours ago, ncdebe said:

Also, any not to be missed things to look at on Rhine cruise? 

Strasbourg with sampling the local food, the tarte flambĂŠe. Either Colmar with the Isenheim altarpiece, or if no time then the wine villages. In Koblenz my favourite tip for river cruisers is the view from Ehrenbreitstein Fortress, you can see German Corner and your Viking ship from there (unless it docks in Ehrenbreitstein).

notamermaid

• Like 2

Second seating thank you, yet another conjoined whatever - Kinderpunsch at this rate I’m going to have to join my grandson and learn German. Well it’s better than sorting yah old scripts where f’s are s’s and s’s are f’s it twists your brain.

4 hours ago, Canal archive said:

Kinderpunsch at this rate I’m going to have to join my grandson and learn German.

Now you know what Kinderpunsch is you can work out what Kindersekt is.

For the punch, perhaps here is a recipe to try out at home: https://www.recipesfromeurope.com/kinderpunsch/

notamermaid

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We are hoping to go to Lucerne for our 2nd post day, from Zurich. It looks like we can take the train or book a bus transfer with a company the takes you out there, does an orientation and then brings you back after 6 hrs in Lucerne.  The cost is a little more then the train, and the tour leaves from a location close to the train station. I'm not sure which way to go. If the tour company picked up at the hotel it would be better for us, and I'm wondering if 6 hrs will be too long in Lucerne in December? Then again, once we get to the tour departure point, it might be easier then figuring out the trains? Any thought? What can one do with 6hrs in Lucerne in Dec? Thanks!

Both Kinderpunsch and GlĂźhwein are pretty high on sugar. Too much for me.

Egg nog is another favorite on the markets. The best ones I had were in Bonn and in Munich at the Weihnachtsdorf at the Residenz. And usually I made the "mistake" to go there during lunch time... working in the afternoon was... not that easy... there´s a lot of rum involved ;-). This year I try out "new" markets as I´m not working in Munich anymore. The mean thing is that there is a market right around my new office... I will definitely check out the offerings there. But anyway this one is not close to the river cruise stops. The other one I intend to visit is Nuremberg as I have to change trains there.

steamboats

46 minutes ago, steamboats said:

Egg nog is another favorite on the markets.

Strong stuff. And not for me. I tend to just have hot chocolate really. Or coffee if it is during the day.

Bonn. Now that brings back memories. I worked in Bonn many years ago and occasionally stayed longer in town to see the market. I wonder if it is still as pleasant.

You have left Munich behind, at least for work? I hope you are happy with the change.

Would like to see a different market this year. Perhaps I will finally make it to RĂźdesheim.

notamermaid

11 hours ago, notamermaid said:

Strong stuff. And not for me. I tend to just have hot chocolate really. Or coffee if it is during the day.

You have left Munich behind, at least for work? I hope you are happy with the change.

Coffee with Amaretto is a nice thing too on Christmas Markets. More than 30 years ago I saw they were offering hot chocolate with Amaretto and asked the booth whether I can have a coffee with Amaretto. Got it. The following year it was on the menu.

I left Munich just for work. Happy... sort of, except for the pleasures of Deutsche Bahn... after one month I thought I know every excuse for a delayed train. No, they still can surprise me.

steamboats

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Canal archive said:

Apart from the fact that I’ve never heard of a German train being ‘delayed’ I’ve always been told that this is an impossibility!  I absolutely agree with Amaretto coffee, as they say ‘it warms the cockles of your heart’ delicious!

I´m commuting for a month now and none of my trains have been on time. Swiss trains are never delayed. Even Italian trains are more on time than German ones.

steamboats

1 hour ago, Canal archive said:

Good to know there following a British tradition outside of the EU. Okay not that funny.

Yup, unfortunately the reputation is all that is left for us. If you want precision look towards the Swiss. Possibly the worst train journey I have ever had was the return journey from my river cruise via Frankfurt. I commuted for several years in the 90's over a long distance and trains were sometimes delayed. I find it has got worse since then. My default thinking is now that if a train is only five minutes delayed I regard it as being on time.

13 hours ago, steamboats said:

after one month I thought I know every excuse for a delayed train. No, they still can surprise me.

That is worse than I thought it may be. Luckily I do not to commute these days over a fair distance. Bliss.

Back to the markets. I have read that Duisburg Christmas market opens today! https://www.duisburger-weihnachtsmarkt.de/

Now that is a bit early I find. Not that many people will stop there on a river cruise. If you are desperate to see a market, i.e. you are cruising now, you could get a train from Cologne to Duisburg, it takes less than an hour one way.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid

10 hours ago, notamermaid said:

Back to the markets. I have read that Duisburg Christmas market opens today! https://www.duisburger-weihnachtsmarkt.de/

Now that is a bit early I find. Not that many people will stop there on a river cruise. If you are desperate to see a market, i.e. you are cruising now, you could get a train from Cologne to Duisburg, it takes less than an hour one way.

Yes, that´s pretty early. I heard in the radio news today that a first market in Bavaria is opening tonight (but not anywhere close to the rivers). The first ones in Munich open next week, Nov 17th.

steamboats

Hi All, so excited less a month to go! Any ideas for packable food items that would make nice christmas gifts? I guess Apple Strudel can't be packed, huh? What kind of sweet and savory items travel well, and won't cause a problem with border patrol?

5 hours ago, Canal archive said:

Steamboats have you heard the one about the ‘wrong leaves on the track’?

Not yet 😉 , but I don´t want to think about any snow... Maybe the tracks are getting to slippery to proceed?

@cleobella sorry, no apple strudel can´t be packed. But Stollen comes in different sizes and tastes. This makes a nice present. You may asked whether it is packed sealed.  Baumkuchen is also a nice Christmas bakery item. It also comes as small pieces called Baumkuchenspitzen (tree cake tips). All kind of Christmas cookies... all kind of Lebkuchen (ginger bread especially the one of Nuremberg).

Although it´s not German but you might find the Italian Pannetone (Christmas cake) in shops. It also comes in different sizes.

steamboats

Ah yes, stollen. There is even a mini version designed for one person. Really nice packaging, too. Got it as a gift one year. This may be more available in shops than on markets, but look around. Lebkuchen - gingerbread - is great. You may want to check the ingredients if you need to think of nut allergy sufferers.

By the way, the local bakers here have biscuits already and my local supermarket is full of Christmas chocolate and other goodies. It is a looong way past the Christmas section. I keep walking past with the trolley thinking "look ahead not right, keep strong, you are nearly past it". Ha, so far I have not given in to temptation. :classic_biggrin:

I should post a photo of the Lindt chocolate "tower".

Seriously, if you have time and want to stray away from the markets, go to a shop that is called EDEKA or REWE. Ten to fifteen minutes for an experience of what the locals buy. You can get regional stuff sometimes that is not available elsewhere but they also have the standard ranges and international foods.

notamermaid

• Like 1