Not to miss in Porto?

While not techincally a port I decided this was the best place to put this.  We have chosen Porto, Portugal as the place to spend 4 days between two different cruises next summer.  I have an apartment booked (very reasonable) and I have also booked a day trip to the Douro Valley including 2 wineries and a river cruise.  What other not to miss things should we see in Porto.  (This is sandwiched between a Rome/Greece cruise and a Norway cruise out of Amsterdam ha ha)

What other not to miss things should we see in Porto.

The Reibera area down by the riverside in Vila Nova de Gaia, which is also where there are several port houses to visit (visit at least one)and river cruises as mentioned above. Wander the older historic area and definitely include the train station Sao Bento, famous for the wonderfully  tiled entrance. it is very close to the Dom Luis Bridge, really unmissable for the stunning views.  This very recent thread might be interesting for you to read,

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2890453-porto-bridge-walk-need-specifics/#comment-64240891

And a possible side trip to Coimbra, around an hour by train. We have not visited there but my sister stayed a few days earlier this year and really enjoyed it. Coimbra was at one time the capital of Portugal and has much to offer.

Tripadvisor and many other sites for Porto and Coimbra reviews, images and recommendations. Once you read what there is, you can decide which appeal most to you, but this is a trip sandwiched between cruises sotake things more slowly and try not to fill every day.

Edited by edinburgher
  • Like 1

I 2nd going to a Fado place (preferably a decent restaurant that offers the music) although we have no clue if there are any good Fado restaurants in Porto (we always go when in Lisbon).  But I am surprised nobody mentioned just visiting several of the local Port Wine facilities.  We also enjoyed just walked along the river on either side (we prefer the south side).

Hank

But I am surprised nobody mentioned just visiting several of the local Port Wine facilities

Post #3 Hank.  Our preference is for Grahams but only if they still operate their little shuttle bus which takes you up from the riverfront otherwise it is a steepish walk up.Amazing port and some nice views as they are located higher up.

Can I suggest that anyone thinking of going to listen to fado music, listen to some on the internet first as it isn't to everyones taste, including our own.  Very melancholy and muornful IMHO , and our first time we found it didn't give us an uplifting experience, quite the opposite in fact,  and we came away feeling quite down.  Never went to another despite several return visits to Portugal.

Edited by edinburgher

Anybody know where this picture was taken in Porto?  It looks to be a famous "smallest building" in the city, but people who saw it don't remember what the street was, or where the photo was taken.  I'd love to see it when I visit, so if anyone can tell me where it is, I'd really appreciate it. (Photo is by Shutterstock.)

porto narrow green houses old town.jpg

On 11/13/2022 at 8:23 PM, mollyredone said:

I haven’t seen it but this bookstore looks phenomenal!  Lello & Irmão Bookstore

https://www.localporto.com/bookstore-world-porto-lello-irmao/

Haven't been there either.  But I read that they have started to require (timed, free?) to get inside. I hope to go next sping

• Like 1

Perhaps distracted by port house visits(!) I didn't remember it especially, but enjoyed tracking it down online and found it in less than five minutes by referencing the sculpture in the forefront.

It is apparently Praca(square) da Rebeiro, even reveiwed on TA

Edited by edinburgher

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/5/2022 at 10:00 PM, mskaufman said:

We recommend the 6 bridges cruise.  There are a number of places and vendors where you can pick this up.

Did you pre book your 6 bridges cruise?   if so, which vendor?  We were in Porto in 2014 and could have just hopped on a boat for the tour or do the dinner/cruise option.   We didn't have time but plan to do the 6 bridge cruise this time around.   We are in Porto for 2 days.

Has anyone used the hop on hop off bus option in Porto.   Last time in Porto we took public transit to and from the cruise port and walked around.   Just wondering if the bus is a worthwhile option.

7 hours ago, spinner said:

Did you pre book your 6 bridges cruise?   if so, which vendor?  We were in Porto in 2014 and could have just hopped on a boat for the tour or do the dinner/cruise option.   We didn't have time but plan to do the 6 bridge cruise this time around.   We are in Porto for 2 days.

We just hoped on.  There were maybe a dozen folks on the boat.

On 11/13/2022 at 8:23 PM, mollyredone said:

I haven’t seen it but this bookstore looks phenomenal!  Lello & Irmão Bookstore

https://www.localporto.com/bookstore-world-porto-lello-irmao/

They are so popular that they have begun to require a timed ticket for entry. You have to pay a modest fee for the ticket but when you go in the bookstore they give you a choice of a couple of their own publishing label books to choose from. 

I visited in April and it wasn't too crowded but still a line to get in even with the reservation. I probably wouldn't do it if there was a very long wait.  Remember you are not allowed to take photos inside. It is lovely though.

(Also, JK Rowling has denied that the bookstore was her inspiration for the one in Harry Potter books...)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 12/7/2022 at 8:24 PM, cruisemom42 said:

They are so popular that they have begun to require a timed ticket for entry. You have to pay a modest fee for the ticket but when you go in the bookstore they give you a choice of a couple of their own publishing label books to choose from. 

I visited in April and it wasn't too crowded but still a line to get in even with the reservation. I probably wouldn't do it if there was a very long wait.  Remember you are not allowed to take photos inside. It is lovely though.

(Also, JK Rowling has denied that the bookstore was her inspiration for the one in Harry Potter books...)

How does that work with the reservation?  Do you reserve it online with a specific time, print out confirmation, and then still wait in a line at the door?  We're going in April so maybe it won't be too long a wait, but is there a way to guess how long the wait will be once you get there?  

3 hours ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

How does that work with the reservation?  Do you reserve it online with a specific time, print out confirmation, and then still wait in a line at the door?  We're going in April so maybe it won't be too long a wait, but is there a way to guess how long the wait will be once you get there?  

Thinking back on it, I'm not sure the reservation was timed, but it was reserved online in advance. I had it in my mind that I had to be there at a certain time (probably just my own schedule).  When I got there, late morning, there was a line of maybe 25-30 people waiting to get in. I asked, and was told I needed to wait in the line for entrance, even with the ticket I had. The line moved fairly quickly.  I think there may have been a "skip-the-line" ticket, but being that I was there in April, I didn't think I'd need to buy the more expensive ticket, and the line moved pretty quickly.

• 3 weeks later...

Does Porto have a HOHO bus. Any tips please. Coming on a cruise ship Sat & overnight till 3pm next day. What suggestions for diy touring or is it better to get an organised tour?  We are not interested in wine or food tastings.  Many thanks in advance.

On 1/28/2023 at 3:19 PM, Faival said:

Does Porto have a HOHO bus. Any tips please. Coming on a cruise ship Sat & overnight till 3pm next day. What suggestions for diy touring or is it better to get an organised tour?  We are not interested in wine or food tastings.  Many thanks in advance.

They do have several.  Sometimes we have seen them waiting just outside the port (in Leixoes) and other times the HoHo was nowhere to be seen.  I believe the official routes do not include the port, but that seems to be meaningless.  If they do not come to the port you can take the Metro (it is above ground near the port) into town and head to one of their stops.  

One possible complication is that Porto has several docking locations.  The main one is in a port (with a shuttle bus to the port exit) but there is a 2nd dock when there are two ships and even a third location (more than a mile distant) if there are even more ships (we have never docked at that third location).   

Being somewhat independent adventurous travelers we simply "play it by ear" and deal with the situation that presents itself.  If folks are uncomfortable being flexible than they are well advised to book a cruise line excursion or arrange for a private tour.

Hank

• 1 year later...
On 11/17/2022 at 10:18 AM, edinburgher said:

But I am surprised nobody mentioned just visiting several of the local Port Wine facilities

Post #3 Hank.  Our preference is for Grahams but only if they still operate their little shuttle bus which takes you up from the riverfront otherwise it is a steepish walk up.Amazing port and some nice views as they are located higher up.

We were considering Graham’s but the shuttle is no more. I wonder if you have any other suggestions for places that won’t be full of large tour groups? Also, any recommendations for a nice lunch spot near the river would also be very welcome.

2 hours ago, Torfamm said:

We were considering Graham’s but the shuttle is no more. I wonder if you have any other suggestions for places that won’t be full of large tour groups?

What a pity they have removed the little shuttle bus, but there have been many changes post Covid everywhere and this appears to be one of them. Unfortunately it is a steep walk without the shuttle as they are located higher up than most.

No other suggestions really as we only twice went to Grahams, but each time when waiting for the shuttle to go up (we walked down)  we noticed tour groups entering or leaving Sandemans which is on the waterfront and it looked busy busy.  I don't know if any others welcome tour groups, but perhaps reading reviews on Tripadvisor might give you a clue?

Lunch suggestions, sorry, cannot help with that as we ate up in the old town.  Again, Tripadvisor might throw up some suggestions.

• Thanks 1