Christmas gifts (tips) to crew

alwayscruisetime

On 11/30/2022 at 10:47 PM, ScottishMaid said:

Please be aware that the Indonesian crew are not Christians so don't celebrate Christmas.

The Filipinos are Catholic.

Regardless of religious affiliations, I think everyone likes to share celebrations and good will.

On our last cruise, along with cash tips, we had chocolates, cashews, dried mango and Mi Goreng (a ramen made in Indonesia) to give our stewards. You should have seen the smiles on their faces. I don't think they were faking it. Next day they said they had cooked it up and shared with their friends.  I know they will buy the same noodles when they are in port. 

I understand that money has value but so does the human touch when you're away from home for so long.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/30/2022 at 10:47 PM, ScottishMaid said:

Please be aware that the Indonesian crew are not Christians so don't celebrate Christmas.

The Filipinos are Catholic.

I think we would be offended if someone wrote that everyone in Boston is Catholic.  There is much more religious diversity than one might expect.  On the island of Sumatra, about 35% of the people are Christian.  There was an incredibly humble and effective German missionary who came to the island from Germany in the 1800s, learned the language and customs before trying to talk to anyone about Christianity, and translated the New Testament into the Batak tribal language.  Our room steward on the Nieuw Amsterdam, Riben, is from that Batak tribe.  The crew who delivered room service was also from that island, living a short distance away from our last apartment.  

Christmas is a legal holiday in Indonesia.  Even in Jakarta, on more-Muslim Java, my friends are posting pictures of Christmas trees in the shopping malls, etc.  In my experience, any gift would be welcome.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1