AMEX offer is back

Andi Land

I've got it on my Personal Gold.  I'm going to give it a shot for our Alaska cruise, rebooked on October 23rd.  

HAL and/or my TA didn't want to let me have the 150Th Anniversary sale, claimed it wasn't enough savings to be worth the effort, so I cancelled and rebooked.  It was $100 cheaper, $300 in excursion credit, plus free White Pass Rail tours tickets.  If that means we save an extra $300 with this promo, well worth it to me!   

15 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

Not on the AMX Blue Cash Card

I do have it on mine, unfortunately too late since final payment for me was in October. I kept hoping the previous offer would show up for me, but it never did. 

I did purchase AARP gift cards with a 10% savings so that helped. 

3 hours ago, AryMay said:

I do have it on mine, unfortunately too late since final payment for me was in October. I kept hoping the previous offer would show up for me, but it never did. 

I did purchase AARP gift cards with a 10% savings so that helped. 

I once when the offer showed up and final payment had already been made, bought OBC on HAL and received the credit.

It is gone.  Enough people have added the offer that reached its allotment.

I saw it available on each of our Business Blue Plus, not on any personal card.  Did not add it cause we would want to sail on Royal Caribbean's new ships next year.  Upon seeing this thread, went back to check, thinking about just adding it but may not use it - they were gone from both cards...

About the OBC purchases - in the past it worked but the languages in the T&Cs of this offer is extensively detailed and restrictive, unlike any of the previous AMEX offers (the old under Carnival's umbrella, or the specific ones under each brand that started to pop up last year).

So dont be surprised if purchasing OBC turns out not working,

Edited by nho9504
add info

On 12/4/2022 at 7:05 PM, nho9504 said:

It is gone.  Enough people have added the offer that reached its allotment.

I saw it available on each of our Business Blue Plus, not on any personal card.  Did not add it cause we would want to sail on Royal Caribbean's new ships next year.  Upon seeing this thread, went back to check, thinking about just adding it but may not use it - they were gone from both cards...

About the OBC purchases - in the past it worked but the languages in the T&Cs of this offer is extensively detailed and restrictive, unlike any of the previous AMEX offers (the old under Carnival's umbrella, or the specific ones under each brand that started to pop up last year).

So dont be surprised if purchasing OBC turns out not working,

Nho9504 is correct.  Purchased OBC of $1,000.00 for a January cruise several days ago and have not received any credit from AMEX.   AMEX has added new restrictions and appears able to distinguish between purchasing OBC and cruise fares.  

2 hours ago, walnut99 said:

Nho9504 is correct.  Purchased OBC of $1,000.00 for a January cruise several days ago and have not received any credit from AMEX.   AMEX has added new restrictions and appears able to distinguish between purchasing OBC and cruise fares.  

Is it really AMEX who adds the restrictions, or is it the business making the offer, in this case Holland America?

I believe when I received the credit for buying OBC, it was back when the offer was for any of the lines in the Carnival Corporation.

9 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Is it really AMEX who adds the restrictions, or is it the business making the offer, in this case Holland America?

I believe when I received the credit for buying OBC, it was back when the offer was for any of the lines in the Carnival Corporation.

To me, it does not matter who adds the restrictions, be it HAL or AMEX, the end result is the same.  You will not receive the AMEX credit when purchasing OBC.  My memory is that some past offers limited to bookings only but you also received the credit for OBC.   The review by AMEX was not as careful to determine eligibility.      

1 hour ago, walnut99 said:

To me, it does not matter who adds the restrictions, be it HAL or AMEX, the end result is the same.  You will not receive the AMEX credit when purchasing OBC.  My memory is that some past offers limited to bookings only but you also received the credit for OBC.   The review by AMEX was not as careful to determine eligibility.      

True, it does not matter to the user of the offer who made the change, but I just wished to clarify who actually made the change.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/6/2022 at 1:16 PM, mcrcruiser said:

We did get in  in a past AMX offer for HAL cruises ,spend $1000 & get $300 back .It just  takes AMX to credit the $300 6 months 

@mcrcruiser I have this offer on 3 cards and it was time for final payment on one of my cruises.  I charged $1000 on each card and immediately received the $300 credit on 2 of the cards.  The third card, it has not been applied.  Did you have to do anything to get them to apply the credit? Since this is an account that I don't normally use, I would really like for it to post before payment is due.  In the past, it has never taken more than a day or two for it to post.

31 minutes ago, mfanderso said:

@mcrcruiser I have this offer on 3 cards and it was time for final payment on one of my cruises.  I charged $1000 on each card and immediately received the $300 credit on 2 of the cards.  The third card, it has not been applied.  Did you have to do anything to get them to apply the credit? Since this is an account that I don't normally use, I would really like for it to post before payment is due.  In the past, it has never taken more than a day or two for it to post.

I had trouble with a different offer posting the credit. I called them and chatted on the website , doing both several times. I guess I pestered them enough that I got a letter saying they are giving me the credit but subject to it being taken back after the merchant replies to them. (The problem they stated was the merchant had not replied moving the credit out of limbo to posted.)

• Thanks 1