The Fleet Report and Daily for Friday December 2nd, 2022

richwmn

Good morning, everyone!   

It is supposed to be a mild day with temps in the 40s.  That is good for doing my laps.  I have a hair appointment at 3:00 pm and tonight we are resuming our Family Farkle Friday.   When my dad was with us we would gather at his house each Friday for pizza and a couple games of Farkle.  Farkle is a dice game that can become addictive.  My dad loved it.  We have all missed the weekly gatherings since he passed so I offered to host Farkle Fridays for the time being.  My niece may alternate with me.  

Today's meal looks like one fit for impressing company.  I may try to make this next week as tonight is pizza night.  This first recipe is a bit complicated because it has you brine the chops first.  I'm thinking it is probably worth the effort.  https://www.seasonsandsuppers.ca/pork-chops-with-peppercorn-sauce/

516090405_peppercornporkchops1.jpg.6d0bde94d549c7be8bdb184b2f395879.jpg

This next one doesn't require the brine and uses cognac in the peppercorn sauce instead of wine.  I think the cognac would provide a really nice depth of flavor and it does cook off the alcohol.  https://www.jocooks.com/recipes/pork-chops-with-peppercorn-sauce/

23873682_peppercornporkchops2.thumb.jpg.6c6d94fc104f1715ec0d115d5263e1ef.jpg

This next one doesn't feature a sauce, but does have an optional pan sauce that you can make. I think I would, just to enhance the flavor.  I love garlic and garlic goes so well with pork.   https://www.threeolivesbranch.com/peppercorn-garlic-pork-chops/

1210291435_peppercornporkchops3.thumb.jpg.9161b59245b1a198ae419d8c86b49686.jpg

Alton Brown makes his peppercorn pork chops in the slow cooker.  He first brines the chops and then pairs them with apples, another wonderful accompaniment to pork.   https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/pepper-pork-chops-3414701

1093862207_peppercornporkchops4.jpeg.a99fd0e05141be3ec2910ee42c81c91e.jpeg

Hoping that one of these will appeal to some of you.  Wishing everyone a wonderful day.  Let's have some more rabbit, rabbit luck.  @Quartzsite Cruiser I hope Steve enjoyed his first night at home.  @mamaofami are you still negative?   Rapid healing to everyone else suffering from sinus infections, colds, flu, or weird mouth rashes.  

• Like 22
  • Thanks 8

26 minutes ago, MISTER 67 said:

If we go early it will be after the US-Netherlands Soccer game but thanks for the offer. Our on/off at I-75 going south is 167, going north we use 170. We are in the Deep Creek subdivision of Punta Gorda that is north of the Peace River, only part of PG that is north of the River.

Very nice. That’s too bad. I wanted to show off my new Bugatti with the Florida tag that reads, “ILUVGRITS”.  Well, would you believe a 1964 Ford pickup.

• Like 6
  • Haha 11

Good Friday morning.  A brief report for me today because my DB has been admitted to the hospital for at least a couple of days due to bleeding and low RBC count.  I will go pick up some meds at the pharmacy, a trip to the bird feed store visit DB in the hospital and then another trip back to Costco.  Their bird suet is 20 packs for the price of 10 at Tractor Supply.   I am going to give my neighbor across the street bird feed and suet to help my overfed birds through the winter.  

Looking forward to the photos of Callao/Lima.   We are going to be there January 13-15.  We will do a couple of HA tours, a dinner at Casa Aliaga and Inca civilization and Pachamac.   Have a great Friday.  Nancy 

• Like 18
  • Thanks 4

Good Friday Morning Dailyites!  It's 40 and cloudy, with a bit of a breeze.  I say breeze as the last of the plants in the front garden seem to be moving back and forth.  We have plans to go to a free piano recital today at Emory University, but as this is my day off, and I'm extremely tired, and DH has a dr's appt after the concert, I am contemplating just going back to bed.  We need to book our flight to Italy next year, and book the hotel, and I am hoping to do that today too.  Would be nice to pick up a Christmas tree and start decorating too.  ARghh, and DH and I both work tomorrow.

@Rowsbythe advent calendar is not portraying me this year, as our "home" is not full of furry animals. Last night I repurchased London again.  So I can enjoy both.  I'm glad that others are enjoying Jackie Lawson!  

@Quartzsite CruiserI am so happy to read that your DH is home and doing so well.

@lindalerI was worrying about you the other night during the storms.  Your description of the rain sounding like someone with a hose on the house was quite accurate.  I am so glad that you are happy in your new home close to your family.

@Cruzin TerriI am hoping that your cruise will be wonderful.  You definitely deserve a break.

For all of you who are on a cruise, leaving this weekend for a cruise, or planning a cruise, best wishes for a wonderful time.

coffee-bring-me-cofef-coffee-bring-me-coffee-mol-cat-24069847.png

For those of you with snow, enjoy!

88fbe6e48f86ab57c9089c6837349749.jpg

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the TGIF Fleet Report and Daily, Rich.  I'll pass on the Faux Fir and don't really see a lot of bartenders since I don't drink but will celebrate pollution prevention.  I love the Riordan quote and have been to Lima several times, I think on the Crystal Symphony, Prinsendam, and Zaandam.  The Pork Chops sound nice.  My alternative is Apple and Pear Gazpacho, Grazed short ribs with roasted garlic cloves, and Key Lime and white chocolate tart as served on MS Prinsendam December 2, 2013.

It's too early to tell but I think the new meds are helping.

Today’s care list:

RIP Jazzyv BFF dad 11/27/22 Funeral 12/3
Mamaofami grandson with Covid and Carol possibly exposed
Tana with pneumonia
Smitty34877 waiting for hip replacement
Ichiban Nekko DH in Florida hospital
From the rotation:
cruisin single step-son with double cancer and months of recovery before kidney removal
Crabbbi Patti dealing with Dad’s dimentia
Cruising-along niece awaiting a kidney
Luvteaching DH recovering from fall

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

luvterching DH doing great in rehab
Work started on Terri’s house
Quartzite Cruizer DH doing great at home
2 days for Mister67 (Nieuw Amsterdam 12/4 to 12/11)
1 days for Dobiemom (Discovery Princess 12/3 to 12/10)
Bon Voyage
Himself (Nieuw Statendam 11/26 to 12/3), Lady Hudson (Enchantment OTS  to 12/9) ,SusiekIslandGirl (Island Princess to 12/12)  StLouisCruiser  and Summer Slope (Volendam  to 12/17) at sea
Cunnorl (Noordam to 1/2/23),  Damcruiser (Nieuw Statendam  to 1/14/23), and  Horizon Chaser1957 (Zaandam to 12/20; Zuiderdam 12/22 to 5/12/23) at sea

Roy

Thank you for today's lists Roy.

Graham.

• Like 7

Good morning! It’s 31 degrees this morning and the locals were happy to get some rain yesterday. Forecast was some of the elevations in the Sierra’s could get up to 50” of snow!
You remember the song tossing and turning I couldn’t sleep at all last night? That was the way my night went. Between gurgling, wheezes, hacking and meds it was not a great night. Please cold go away.🙏

Today will be more of the same; reading, surfing and most likely I will need a nap but not so long that I can’t get to sleep this evening.

We spent New Year’s Eve in Lima prior to our South America and Antartica cruise on the Veendam a few years back. Watched the fireworks on the beach from our JW Marriott hotel.That was a memorable cruise we’re we also had side trips to Machu Picchu and  Iguazzu Falls. @TiogaCruiser will attest on how great that adventure was.

Thanks for the reports, laughs and post.

Bruce

• Like 24

39 minutes ago, dfish said:

Good morning, everyone!   

It is supposed to be a mild day with temps in the 40s.  That is good for doing my laps.  I have a hair appointment at 3:00 pm and tonight we are resuming our Family Farkle Friday.   When my dad was with us we would gather at his house each Friday for pizza and a couple games of Farkle.  Farkle is a dice game that can become addictive.  My dad loved it.  We have all missed the weekly gatherings since he passed so I offered to host Farkle Fridays for the time being.  My niece may alternate with me.  

Today's meal looks like one fit for impressing company.  I may try to make this next week as tonight is pizza night.  This first recipe is a bit complicated because it has you brine the chops first.  I'm thinking it is probably worth the effort.  https://www.seasonsandsuppers.ca/pork-chops-with-peppercorn-sauce/

516090405_peppercornporkchops1.jpg.6d0bde94d549c7be8bdb184b2f395879.jpg

This next one doesn't require the brine and uses cognac in the peppercorn sauce instead of wine.  I think the cognac would provide a really nice depth of flavor and it does cook off the alcohol.  https://www.jocooks.com/recipes/pork-chops-with-peppercorn-sauce/

23873682_peppercornporkchops2.thumb.jpg.6c6d94fc104f1715ec0d115d5263e1ef.jpg

This next one doesn't feature a sauce, but does have an optional pan sauce that you can make. I think I would, just to enhance the flavor.  I love garlic and garlic goes so well with pork.   https://www.threeolivesbranch.com/peppercorn-garlic-pork-chops/

1210291435_peppercornporkchops3.thumb.jpg.9161b59245b1a198ae419d8c86b49686.jpg

Alton Brown makes his peppercorn pork chops in the slow cooker.  He first brines the chops and then pairs them with apples, another wonderful accompaniment to pork.   https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/pepper-pork-chops-3414701

1093862207_peppercornporkchops4.jpeg.a99fd0e05141be3ec2910ee42c81c91e.jpeg

Hoping that one of these will appeal to some of you.  Wishing everyone a wonderful day.  Let's have some more rabbit, rabbit luck.  @Quartzsite Cruiser I hope Steve enjoyed his first night at home.  @mamaofami are you still negative?   Rapid healing to everyone else suffering from sinus infections, colds, flu, or weird mouth rashes.  

Nice food photos Debbie.

Graham.

1455287142_ginhouse.jpg.0e152bcaf9fd3ab2977048a094ac62eb.jpg

• Like 11
  • Haha 13

39 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

Good morning! It’s 31 degrees this morning and the locals were happy to get some rain yesterday. Forecast was some of the elevations in the Sierra’s could get up to 50” of snow!
You remember the song tossing and turning I couldn’t sleep at all last night? That was the way my night went. Between gurgling, wheezes, hacking and meds it was not a great night. Please cold go away.🙏

Today will be more of the same; reading, surfing and most likely I will need a nap but not so long that I can’t get to sleep this evening.

We spent New Year’s Eve in Lima prior to our South America and Antartica cruise on the Veendam a few years back. Watched the fireworks on the beach from our JW Marriott hotel.That was a memorable cruise we’re we also had side trips to Machu Picchu and  Iguazzu Falls. @TiogaCruiser will attest on how great that adventure was.

Thanks for the reports, laughs and post.

Bruce

Bruce, are you sure it is just a bad cold?  Almost sounds bronchial. 

• Like 11

Good morning Dailyites. I was surprised to wake to fog and misty rain. Going to be 72 today.

Thinking of those in need of healing. Tana, Steve, Roy, Terri..

@StLouisCruisers hoping your cruise is going well. I know it's hot and muggy, and feel bad the tenders are keeping you up. How has the dining/food been?

Today we have a quick checkup at dr., pick up a med, and meet friends for lunch.

We have our little pup friend for a few days. Last night it was a doggie gaggle with 3 dogs while we played our last game (for me) of Mahjongg til the end of January. 

Happy Bartenders Day ya'll!

image.png.207d372e6a576c85afff45fcfbe2275d.png

• Like 12
  • Haha 8

1 minute ago, cat shepard said:

Bruce, are you sure it is just a bad cold?  Almost sounds bronchial. 

Nope. All the drainage is from head. When I said wheezing it’s my nose that is making all the nose. The phlegm is thickening and DW is still having minor symptoms and she was symptomatic several days before me. It’s the gift that keeps on coming. Though I’m monitoring and well aware it could cause further issues. Thanks for caring. Time will tell.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 3

Good Morning All,

We have “rain” here so His Nibs doesn’t get a walk. It would take forever for his fur to dry, and it’s Clean the House Day in the Tiogacruiser household.

Thank you to all who make this thread what it is. I’ve only been in the airport at Lima for a stop over once, and a second time for a plane change. (For the plane change, we ended up not getting assigned to a jetway and instead had to deplane on the tarmac and shuttle to the terminal. I was in coach, so it took quite a while to get off. With only 90 minutes between flights, I just got to the next flight in time to board.😱 As grampa used to say “A miss is as good as a mile”.)

Am adding the wine to my list. HAL ran tours to the winery from the hotel in Santiago. I was surprised to find the brand all over the place when I returned home.

@aliaschief Ah- yes! That was the BEST cruise, and it and all the planning was fabulous. It was great meeting you two. Last night I reliving Iguazu and was on the Melia (Sheraton Iguazu) website and boy has that hotel changed. I was there in 2018 just after it was sold and was the last occupant in my room before they remodeled.

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, TiogaCruiser said:

@aliaschief Ah- yes! That was the BEST cruise, and it and all the planning was fabulous. It was great meeting you two. Last night I reliving Iguazu and was on the Melia (Sheraton Iguazu) website and boy has that hotel changed. I was there in 2018 just after it was sold and was the last occupant in my room before they remodeled.

Wow! Just checked Melia’s Hotel web site. Quite the remodeling! It still was special venue when we stayed there. It was so hot and we always came back drenched from sweating after touring

• Like 9

I give credit to all who post from ships. It’s taken me a couple of days to finally get logged on. I don’t think Princess likes me.

Last night we were informed of major storms heading toward the Madeira Islands so our stop there plus Casablanca was canceled. 3rd time we’ve missed Morocco. But we are going to Tenerife tomorrow so at least we have a port stop before Ft. Lauderdale. Now to catch up with the last few days. 

• Like 19
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, SusieKIslandGirl said:

I give credit to all who post from ships. It’s taken me a couple of days to finally get logged on. I don’t think Princess likes me.

Last night we were informed of major storms heading toward the Madeira Islands so our stop there plus Casablanca was canceled. 3rd time we’ve missed Morocco. But we are going to Tenerife tomorrow so at least we have a port stop before Ft. Lauderdale. Now to catch up with the last few days. 

Tenerife is a great port of call. We did the National Park followed by a wine tasting that included a roast pig lunch! Enjoy.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

We visited Callao (Lima), Peru, in April of 2019 on the Zaandam. It was an overnight, but I don't remember what we did the second day in port. The first day we took the Holland America excursion called Inca Civilization and Pachacamac. I will post a few pictures from that excursion.

My DW had been in Lima as a teenager but didn't recognize anything in the city. The population had grown from less than 3 million when she visited to over 10 million when we visited. Lima is larger than New York City in population and didn't impress me as somewhere I would want to spend much time.

This type of garage door was typical; houses came to the curbs and outdoor living areas are in enclosed courts. 

P1050808.thumb.JPG.10ac9da446685e98dc730292046c1c41.JPG

My DW posed beside a very unstable llama that began to fall when she bumped it. The llama and DW survived without an actual fall; it made for a good chuckle. 

P1050798.thumb.JPG.d57cefddfeab3b63b54ffd7bb16221ba.JPG

Pachacamac was interesting and very expansive. Archeologists continue to work at the site.

P1050825.thumb.JPG.7604d448fbe090800f271f6eadeb5958.JPG

P1050832.thumb.JPG.aab15230193c1fa39862c08d8183e082.JPG

We visited a hacienda and were greeted by a ten-piece mariachi band. They played throughout much of the visit while the dancers and horses entertained us.

P1050841.thumb.JPG.3267f9b105713dde9eef67752a47b808.JPG

We were given a lesson about paso horses and introduced to a colt to show that their special gate was not something that had been forced on them for show. It was a natural behavior. The paso horses were very majestic and the show was quite entertaining.

P1050860.thumb.JPG.8947e698fbbc0c033c332eb654eba77a.JPG

P1050867.thumb.JPG.3a982a19115fe9965088744d81f3545f.JPG

We were then entertained by some dancers doing traditional Spanish dances; they then joined the horses and horsemen for a few more dances.

P1050885.thumb.JPG.e5dfc299e9dc7c0e93159fb7c803a394.JPG

P1050902.thumb.JPG.5955879d125e71b60edb3c33c0165499.JPG

We were treated to a large buffet style meal while the band continued to play, and additional dancers came out to perform around the table.

P1050910.thumb.JPG.131c26555d4428f45c9cd8f8be0a157b.JPG

P1050926.thumb.JPG.53872708b52980a902fb2cfff4006a33.JPG

• Like 21
  • Thanks 7

A late good morning from a gray, misty, windy and chilly central Texas.  We slept well last night and didn't get up until almost 8 this morning.  Everything is going well, but I was not moving as fast getting going today since I did not need to drive to Waco.  👏

Sadly, one of our neighbors died yesterday morning after a long illness.  His wife of course is heartbroken but doing well.  According to another neighbor, the wife is a very strong woman who took excellent care of her husband.

We have been to Lima twice.  in 2001, on Noordam III, We took a taxi, along with two tablemates, to see the catacombs under the cathedral.  If you have never been to the catacombs they are interesting, but a little creepy.  I won't say any more about them so I won't ruin the first look for anyone.  Unfortunately, that was the last cruise where I still had a film camera. 

In 2015, along with @StLouisCruisers Sandi and Dennis on Ruby Princess, we docked in Callao.  That day due to reports of high crime in Lima, we took the shuttle to Miraflores, a resort and beach area outside of Lima.  These are some of my pictures from our day in Miraflores.

This first group of pictures were taken from the shuttle on the way to Miraflores.

DSC03030.thumb.JPG.f53737ec4884f6b690b03ee72eeb658d.JPG

DSC03031.thumb.JPG.464ad8311898eaaa81e1eb8ff921f486.JPG

DSC03032.thumb.JPG.c748180163cc02efb645d1cd527037d3.JPG

DSC03033.thumb.JPG.c36111e3c58d185d6a8fb490e2b004ad.JPG

For those of us who wanted to convert US dollars into Peruvian Nuevo Sol, the guide from the shuttle led us down the main street until she found the man she was seeking.  She explained that he was a money changer and would give us a good rate.  From what we knew of the exchange rate, we felt we got a fair deal.  From there, we walked down to the Indian Market to look at the native crafts.  The large market that was in the terminal in 2001 had closed by 2015.   Compared to a huge warehouse full of vendors, the Indian Market was small and a disappointment, but it was still interesting.  I think we bought two t-shirts.

DSC03035.thumb.JPG.41bf74ec314bb336bb9c1a09b42cf585.JPG

DSC03036.thumb.JPG.6ad05176632e5e7da02f2d10210d9b7a.JPG

Our drop off point was a hotel across from a large open air mall overlooking the Pacific Ocean.  It was a good place to sit and relax, get ice cream and a cold drink.

DSC03040.thumb.JPG.69389c825f16acb2379539ada8ba6a2f.JPG

DSC03044.thumb.JPG.e272485a967ca2de508794de16ec4245.JPG

DSC03050.thumb.JPG.f1d28abf5ed2b14a9331c74acf0a503d.JPG

Views of the Pacific and the coast road from the mall.

DSC03051.thumb.JPG.6374ced1ce78c13f783462a6ee3ad68b.JPG

DSC03052.thumb.JPG.ffa8091322783fbdedc0e66ccd105db8.JPG

DSC03055.thumb.JPG.8b9846bcacdef423ab13f5f801867976.JPG

Looking down the main street from the mall.

DSC03056.thumb.JPG.82c06857a5bd57f1a12b61c8df0991c0.JPG

An interesting fountain near the mall

DSC03058.thumb.JPG.5a93d5e46d02c57ec73c919123f180b6.JPG

DSC03059.thumb.JPG.063822c1d35d7296e4ef00254a18e644.JPG

Since we didn't spend all our Nuevo Sol, and we knew that by the time returned to Peru, the currency would have changed again, we needed to find a way to spend what we had.  There was a casino next to the hotel pick up point, and we figured we would have some fun while getting rid of the money.  Wouldn't you know it, that was the day the slot machines were hot, and I kept winning.  Finally, we switched machines and made our donation to the slot gods.

Now, I'll finish reading the Fleet/Daily.

Lenda

• Like 19
  • Thanks 7

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

Faux fur is good, so real fur isn't used. A salute to bartenders and preventing world pollution.

Good quote. I like the meal, pass on the drink and maybe for the wine.

I haven't been to Callao.

It will be up into the 50's later, and sunny. I'm trying to do some decluttering around here. I finally got the last ingredients for making my Christmas bread, but with the funeral tomorrow, I'll wait until Sunday to start, as it's a 2-3 day process.

There has been so many shootings around here lately. Yesterday a woman and a 4-year old were shot, and the 4-year old died. The suspected shooters took off, and police searched, but didn't find them. It seems so many arguments or issues end up with guns being fired. It's awful, and you don't want to get hit by a stray bullet. I won't drive in some areas, although it can happen anywhere I guess.

@Himself Enjoy the cruise!

@grapau27 That breakfast looks yummy! Enjoy.

@seagarsmoker I hope the sinus issue clears up quickly.

@rafinmd Thank you for our lists. Hoping the new treatments work for your lips.

@Cruzin Terri Sorry the work hasn't started on the house. You need that cruise!

@ger_77 Ugh, that's cold! 

@StLouisCruisers Sad to hear about another neighbor gone. Sorry about the tender noise affecting your sleep. 

@smitty34877 I'm glad Tana looks a little better, and I hope she can get some better sleep. I also hope your hip pain is bearable until surgery. So sad about the police officer killed.

@dfish Farkle Friday sounds like fun. I never heard of Farkle before. Thanks for the recipes.

@ottahand7 Sorry to hear DB got admitted to the hospital; prayers for him.

@aliaschief Ugh on the cold still hanging on; hopefully it eases up soon.

@HAL4NOW Thanks for the photos from Lima.

@Quartzsite Cruiser So happy to her that Steve is home and doing well using the walker. Sorry to hear about your neighbor passing. Thanks for the pictures from Lima. 

Prayers for the Care List and a Salute to the Celebration List.

Stay safe everyone.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 9

Sorry the cocktail of the day is late.  We were on a morning excursion.

Sauza Blue cocktail:

Ingredients
1 part Sauza® Blue Silver 100% Agave Tequila
1 part DeKuyper® Blue Curacao Liqueur
1 part Lemon-Lime Soda
1 part Sweet and Sour Mix

Instructions
Combine ingredients in shaker with ice. Shake and strain into martini glass.

Screenshot 2022-12-02 at 12.25.40 PM.png

• Like 16
  • Thanks 8