The Fleet Report and Daily for Sunday December 4th, 2022

richwmn

Good morning everyone. Nice collection of days and I agree with the quote. I don’t like patty melts, although I like most of the ingredients. I’m not a cheese lover so will skip this meal.

It was cold and raining yesterday and a good opportunity to curl up and watch some Netflix. 
Im sure by now you have all seen the picture of the rogue wave hitting the ship.Very scary.

Jacqui, the picture of that bridge is awful. Hopefully it’s an easy fix.

Stay safe everyone,

Carol

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  I had the opportunity to pet a cheetah - Canadian wildlife conservationist Al Oeming had a wildlife park and would frequently travel with his pet cheetah Tawanah.  We happened to be at a gas station as he pulled in and saw this g-i-a-n-t kitty looking out the back window.  Both DH and I were curious, so asked if we could take a closer look - Al did more than that, he brought Tawanah out and let us pet her.  Sadly, neither of us had a camera with us, so no photos were available, but it's a memory that has stuck with us through the years.

@rafinmdI think you can take me off the care list - our temperatures have moderated quite a bit, as this morning we're only sitting at -8C (17F), so we've broken through the ice cap sitting over the province.

@MISTER 67Bon Voyage!  

@kazusorry your power went out, and yikes about the bridge scaffolding; that's going to take a lot of work to remove and replace!

Thank you to all who had the time to take a look at the video, and for your kind comments - it was a labour of love for DH who has always wanted to showcase our province, and especially the area close to where he was raised.  I was happy to have been able to help bring his dream to fruition.  We were fortunate to work with a great videographer who specializes in drone photography; I particularly liked the way he transitioned from one season to another in various scenes.

Today is cookie day - when our grandsons were here last weekend, I didn't have a lot of notice, so went to the store and bought a roll of bake-it-yourself cookie dough (chocolate chip, of course).  Well our oldest grandson thinks this Grandma is the best cook ever and asked to take the remainder home with him, which of course he did.  Now he's asking me to make more for Christmas . . . here's my dilemma:  do I tell him they're store-bought, or do I just bake more and bring them along without saying anything?  

I like today's menu suggestion, but would serve it without a top bun.  I don't have to plan dinner tonight because DH's daughter has invited us over to their place.  She said there will be ham, au grain potatoes, a vegetable, and I'll be bringing dessert.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who is in need, cheers to all with celebrations.  Stay well, be safe.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

Good morning everyone from chilly Freeport, Maine. We took the Amtrak Downeaster here yesterday for a couple of days of Christmas shopping, and eating.  Love cheetahs and cookies.  Banks, meh.  I enjoy a good patty melt.  I like the quote as well. I haven’t been to today’s port but I’m enjoying the photos, thanks for sharing.  Prayers for those that need them. Cheers to everyone celebrating happy events and to those traveling today!

• Like 20

Good morning  to all.It is a more seasonal 37 here this morning  with the cars frosted on their windshields. I have always loved patty melts but have not made one in ages.Thanks Debbie,for the recipes @dfish.

We have not been to the port  and  will salute cheetahs  and most  cookies.

I was so glad to see that @Ichiban Nekko got home safely . I hope you both feel better soon and hope the birthday celebration  later this week is enjoyable. 

@kazu, I am so glad to hear you have been able to walk with the ankle/ foot brace.I hope the pain is less.

@grapau27,Graham.The cruise sounded great and I enjoyed both food and ship  pictures.I hope all goes well with your operative procedure on your face.

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 20
  • Thanks 2

Blessed Sunday morning to my Daily family. Thanks to all faithful posters.

A calm, chilly morning. Warming to 59. Areas of rain due this week. Good!

I was excited to see Roy posting our upcoming cruise and Jacqui putting us the Bon Voyage thread. Thank you both. Roy hoping the new meds kick in and Jacqui's foot gets stronger.

Prayers for all on Roy's list and mine. Thanks for Father David's sermon Graham.

Debbie's patty melts look good. Have not made them in ages. Tonight will be pot roast, turning into beef vegetable soup tomorrow. 

I stopped by the pharmacy at our market and got our 10 "free" covid test kits. Couldn't find the Mucinex and found the pharmacy keeps them behind the counter now and boy has the price gone up!

image.png.0bb182d0e4836ccbf06c9aa21113645c.png

Blessings to all. Have a great day. Be kind.

image.png.f15ab314c3948cc3002153eb686bb719.png

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

Yesterday was kind of a frustrating day.  I have a new laptop and it's my first with Windows 11.  It came with a trial antivirus subscription from the same company I use on my existing computers and have a blanket subscription.  I tried to add the existing subscription to the new laptop but it would only allow me to buy and extension of the trial.  I wasted about 2 hours with McAffee support but it went nowhere because I couldn't get Win11 to allow them to make some changes.  I think I have FINALLY resolved the Windows problem and they are due to try again this afternoon. 

OH...NO.....!!!   

I am late to the Daily....because I was just now...this very minute....ordering a new laptop with Windows 11............I may definitely need some "tech" support.....😳

• Like 21

Good morning everyone. Thanks Rich, Roy and all who make this a fun and informative place to be. New glasses are different enough that I am having a hard time using them but another visit to doctor says they are right. I guess I just need to get used to them. 

• Like 25

32 minutes ago, Mr. Boston said:

Good morning everyone from chilly Freeport, Maine. We took the Amtrak Downeaster here yesterday for a couple of days of Christmas shopping, and eating.  Love cheetahs and cookies.  Banks, meh.  I enjoy a good patty melt.  I like the quote as well. I haven’t been to today’s port but I’m enjoying the photos, thanks for sharing.  Prayers for those that need them. Cheers to everyone celebrating happy events and to those traveling today!

We lived in Limerick, ME, for a few years and the town shut down by 6 PM. We got to know Freeport a little. A few times we wanted to do something late at night and L.L. Bean became a favorite destination because it was opened 24/7. We got to talking with one of the workers there that shared a story about a shoplifter. (Forgive me if you have heard this story before, but it is worth retelling). 

A guy walked out of the L.L. Bean store with a canoe over his shoulders. When the employees all started talking with each other about it, assuming someone else had sold the canoe, they realized he had boldly just stolen it right in front of them. The next night, this guy came back into the store and tried to walk out with a couple of paddles. 

• Like 8
  • Haha 18

Happy Sunday Morning Dailyites!

Today is the day that I get to do all the things I should have done over the last few days.  We are meeting up with Debbie for lunch at our favorite Chinese restaurant, we need to go to the Wild Birds Unlimited  before lunch, we need to go to Wallie world to check for Christmas cards, and a few essentials.  We need to pay bills and mail them.  I say we, but I mean me.  And I still haven't had that nap. or cleaned out the rest of the front garden so that we can put up Christmas lights.

I think tomorrow I'll have to suck it up and go shop for my glasses without my expert with me.  I know I need the new glasses, when I read the list of days today I thought it said Cheetos.  I was so excited!

The wildest thing I have had the opportunity to pet was a Bobcat, that was behind a fence near Carlsbad New Mexico.  It was a place for injured animals.  He came up to the fence, and I stuck my hand in and scritched under his chin.  Did you know Bobcats purr?  

Patty Melts are one of DH's and my favorite meals. But as easy as they are to make, I usually just get them at Waffle House.  And the prices have gone up so high there, that we have not been in a year.  DMIL kept wanting cheeseburgers or Mexican food when we were out in Arkansas.  After several meals out we put our foot down and had to say, no more cheeseburgers, and we haven't had a burger since.  That's been almost a month.

@grapau27Thank you so much for bringing us Father David every week.  I love his messages.

78a498d9737764f8dc2e1c420f26a26e.jpg

c+4.jpg

Edited by marshhawk
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 8

1 hour ago, ger_77 said:

Now he's asking me to make more for Christmas . . . here's my dilemma:  do I tell him they're store-bought, or do I just bake more and bring them along without saying anything?  

I’m with the others - just buy them and bake them 🙂. After all, you still baked them 😉 

1 hour ago, puppycanducruise said:

@kazuToo bad about the scaffolding.  Is that a covered bridge that they are trying to restore/maintain?

Yes, it is.

6 minutes ago, marshhawk said:

I say we, but I mean me. 

Spot on!  LOL that brings back memories.  DH used to say we and I replied you mean me.  LOL

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

Good morning! Sun is just starting to rise. Our last day here;

if cleared from a walk in medical clinic appointment. Want to make sure I can fly and not blow my ears/sinuses out.. Big improvement last 24 hours but still productive

I have a question and I apologize in advance if it’s taken offensively?😁

Do you like moi feel there could be some  of us that actually are in full addiction mode to Cruise Critic Boards and to the Daily?

I can’t stand it anymore!

I have an addiction to the Daily!

Do you?

Have a good week and thanks to the Daily and staff.

• Like 19
  • Haha 8

2 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Sunday report, Rich.  Cheetahs are magnificent creatures, and where would our countries be without our banks.  My cookie of choice is oatmeal raisin and I had some wonderful ones on the Eurodam.  The Brigham Young quote is certainly interesting.  Sadly, I've never been to Tasmania.  A patty melt sounds interesting.  My alternative is Chilled Blackberry Soup, Grilled Lamb Chop, and Strawberry Crisp as served on MS Prinsendam December 4, 2013. 

Yesterday was kind of a frustrating day.  I have a new laptop and it's my first with Windows 11.  It came with a trial antivirus subscription from the same company I use on my existing computers and have a blanket subscription.  I tried to add the existing subscription to the new laptop but it would only allow me to buy and extension of the trial.  I wasted about 2 hours with McAffee support but it went nowhere because I couldn't get Win11 to allow them to make some changes.  I think I have FINALLY resolved the Windows problem and they are due to try again this afternoon.  I did only quickly scan yesterday's report so may have missed some things.

Today’s care list:

Tana with pneumonia
Smitty34877 waiting for hip replacement
Quartzite Cruiser and StLouisCruisers losing neighbors
Otahand7 DB back in hospital but rehab continuing
Granhm upcoming appoints December 12 and 14
From the rotation:
Status of St. Louis Sal (7/1) and JAM37 (7/7)
HAL Sailer Sister in Law with aggressive cancer therapy
Cruisin Terri leak damage
Winter hitting ger_77 hard

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

na1204.thumb.JPG.d41b7395a9e181c988f5112
Nieuw Amsterdam in Everglades

A new message from Father David
luvterching DH doing great in rehab
Work almost started on Terri’s house
Quartzite Cruizer DH doing great at home
7 days for Seasick Sailor (Rotterdam 12/11 to 1/25/23)
6 days for Cruisin Terri (Insignia 12/10 to 12/28)
Bon Voyage Mister67 (Nieuw Amsterdam to 12/11)
Welcome home Ichiban Nekko
Lady Hudson (Enchantment OTS,  to 12/9), RedbeckBob (Nieuw Statendam to 12/10),   Dobiemom (Discovery Princess  to 12/10), SusiekIslandGirl (Island Princess to 12/12)  StLouisCruiser  and Summer Slope (Volendam  to 12/17) at sea
Cunnorl (Noordam to 1/2/23),  Damcruiser (Nieuw Statendam  to 1/14/23), and  Horizon Chaser1957 (Zaandam to 12/20; Zuiderdam 12/22 to 5/12/23) at sea

Roy

Thank you for today's lists Roy.

Graham.

• Like 8

A quiet day here with a day of competing football games.  I will be in the living room for the Ravens and DF will be in the bedroom easy chair for the Vikings.  I was up until midnight watching Michigan winning the Big 10 Championship.  Sadly another favorite team TCU lost in overtime.  They made a mistake the Ravens commonly go for a TD on a goal line stand rather than taking the 3 points with a FG.  I hope they remain in the Top 4 for the playoffs on December 31.

No visit to DB today.  He is rather in limbo, no decision yet whether to release him.   I don't want to show up at either place to find him not there.   I used this time to clean the house.   

Thanks for the Daily and Fleet Reports!   I love to watch shows with Cheetahs on National Geographic Wild and BBC and I hope someday to see them in person besides a zoo.   I love cookies but no baking of them today.  A liked the quote by Brigham Young.    Debbie those patty melts all look wonderful except the one with the mushroom.   I may order one the next time I am in a tavern.   The wine looks great but I really don't care for apple flavored cocktails.   Thanks for today's photos of Tasmania.   We have never been that far.  

Prayers for all on our care list and for the people of Ukraine.  @rafinmdI hope the meds continue to allow improvement and I feel for you with your computer woes.  I have Windows 11 and somehow my touchpad cursor got turned off.  It is dragging finger on the screen or a wireless mouse.  

Have a wonderful Sunday!  Nancy 

• Like 22

Good morning all,

Our rain appears to have been in someone’s imagination as we have clear blue skies. I’ll take today’s meal without the cheese- just can’t stand that combination. 

3 hours ago, RedneckBob said:

Safe drive and happy cruising. Approaching HMC on NS. very windy and large swales! If we can’t tender I will swim ashore!

Maybe surfing ashore might work even better.😁

@ger_77 My gramma was famous for her filled cookie jar. One cookie in particular was her raisin filleds. Recently Dad shared that she had started using frozen sugar cookie dough as a short cut, and we still loved them. 

Edited by TiogaCruiser
  • Like 23
  • Thanks 1

Good Sunday morning to all of you.

Thank you to Rich for the Daily and Fleet Report.

Hats off to Cheetahs and to Cookies.  Banks as well.

I love the quote.

Patty Melts are good.  Would think about it for dinner except that we had hamburgers last night.

The wine sounds wonderful and I even looked it up to see if I could buy it at Total Wine in Miami before our cruise.  They don’t sell it.  Oh well!

Have not been to the destination.

Roy, I, too, just got a new laptop.  I have been struggling with a Mac for a little more than a year.  I don’t know what possessed me to change.  I finally gave up and bought a Windows 11 laptop.  i will not be able to set it up until we get back from our cruise at the end of December.  Just don’t have the time to devote to it right now.  

I would like to sell the Mac but just don’t know how to do it. It is in perfect condition.  Will look into it when I set up the laptop.    

I hope your lip is healing.

@grapau27 Graham, hope you enjoyed your cruise and that you have successful surgery on your face.

@smitty34877hope they can take care of that hip soon.

@kazuglad you can start to bear some weight on that leg.  Soon you’ll be running as fast as a cheetah!

Prayers for all that need them

@RedneckBobhope you’re enjoying your cruise.

We are devoting today to packing for our cruise and we will soon find out what we don’t have and have to buy.

This is the first time we are flying to Miami rather than driving.  It is just too long.  We are staying two nights at the JW Marriott Marquis and just got an email from them last night that my upgrade to a suite cleared.  Nice way to start off the trip.  It will be a big improvement from this dumpy apartment.

Please say a prayer that we see some work starting on our house this week.  I am losing my patience.

Hope everyone has a nice day.

God Bless,

Terri

• Like 16
  • Thanks 6

1 minute ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Good Sunday morning to all of you.

Thank you to Rich for the Daily and Fleet Report.

Hats off to Cheetahs and to Cookies.  Banks as well.

I love the quote.

Patty Melts are good.  Would think about it for dinner except that we had hamburgers last night.

The wine sounds wonderful and I even looked it up to see if I could buy it at Total Wine in Miami before our cruise.  They don’t sell it.  Oh well!

Have not been to the destination.

Roy, I, too, just got a new laptop.  I have been struggling with a Mac for a little more than a year.  I don’t know what possessed me to change.  I finally gave up and bought a Windows 11 laptop.  i will not be able to set it up until we get back from our cruise at the end of December.  Just don’t have the time to devote to it right now.  

I would like to sell the Mac but just don’t know how to do it. It is in perfect condition.  Will look into it when I set up the laptop.    

I hope your lip is healing.

@grapau27 Graham, hope you enjoyed your cruise and that you have successful surgery on your face.

@smitty34877hope they can take care of that hip soon.

@kazuglad you can start to bear some weight on that leg.  Soon you’ll be running as fast as a cheetah!

Prayers for all that need them

@RedneckBobhope you’re enjoying your cruise.

We are devoting today to packing for our cruise and we will soon find out what we don’t have and have to buy.

This is the first time we are flying to Miami rather than driving.  It is just too long.  We are staying two nights at the JW Marriott Marquis and just got an email from them last night that my upgrade to a suite cleared.  Nice way to start off the trip.  It will be a big improvement from this dumpy apartment.

Please say a prayer that we see some work starting on our house this week.  I am losing my patience.

Hope everyone has a nice day.

God Bless,

Terri

Thank you Terri.

That is great news you got your suite upgrade for your 2 nights at the Marriott Marquis.

I hope you have an amazing time and a wonderful cruise.

Graham.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Good morning from another rainy day in Tucson. I think it rained all night and the forecast calls for rain all day. We really do need it so I’m not complaining. It’s difficult to get Blue to go outside though. 

I love love patty melts!  I never make them but if I did I’d definitely make the traditional one Debbie posted by Ree Drummond. It has to be made with rye bread only and Swiss cheese and I always get extra thousand island dressing. There is a local cafe we go to occasionally that has a good patty melt and their thousand island is homemade, yum!  Maybe we can go sometime soon. Craig likes their biscuits and gravy and chicken fried steak. 

My DM spent her entire working career in banking. Cheetahs are beautiful. 

I didn’t make the tortellini soup yesterday so I think that’s on the menu for today. 

• Like 21

Sorry I'm late.  Was sitting outside and reading.

Apples and bourbon cocktail:

Ingredients
1 3/4 parts Maker's Mark® Bourbon
1/2 part Aperol® Aperitif
3/4 parts Lemon Juice
1/2 part Thyme Honey
1 dash Maple Bitters
Apples Garnish
Thyme Sprig

Instructions
Infuse bourbon with apples. Add all ingredients to a shaker with ice. Shake vigorously. Strain over ice into a rocks glass. Garnish with thyme sprig and apple slice.

Screenshot 2022-12-04 at 11.37.48 AM.png

• Like 18
  • Thanks 6

The Junior Cat is in favor of cheetahs but still believes that she is a leopard.I would rather have a tuna melt, or Roy's alternative menu. It will probably be quite a while before I bake cookies again, but I made snickerdoodles and chocolate-dipped toffee cookies last month.

817049419_brightuntiltheyspeak.jpg.049b03d5dbe645d5b4f348df00319320.jpg

• Like 13
  • Haha 9