Price Rises: Gratuities, Wifi, Medallion Shipping 🤑💰

Jadn13

1 hour ago, Jadn13 said:

Nope! The wifi I purchased was through my Moms App (discounted) I tried though, I used the chat function with 3 different people until I gave up. I’m going to ask once I’m on board to see if they have a solution 

no luck so far on board.  All the medallion group on board had to say was go through customer service.

10 minutes ago, ldtr said:

no luck so far on board.  All the medallion group on board had to say was go through customer service.

Thanks for asking, I appreciate it.

I’ll plan on opening another ticket ASAP!  

• Like 1

On 12/7/2022 at 7:08 PM, JimmyVWine said:

So which is it?  Are you only tipping the waiter or is the server sharing with others? No one ever suggested that tips were split evenly either in the US or on a ship. 

Servers IN A TYPICAL US RESTAURANT tip out the busser and the kitchen, but that's an arrangement between them.  I'm sorry that wasn't clear to you.  Are you suggesting that servers on the ships receive a greater percentage than others?  That would be interesting to know.

Edited by Incognito1

4 hours ago, Jadn13 said:

Thanks for asking, I appreciate it.

I’ll plan on opening another ticket ASAP!  

One other thing you can try is that you have 2 levels of medallion support. the first group you get routed to (navigators) are mostly focused on using the app and getting cruise ready. Their is a second tier that is more technically focused. If you try again you might ask for the second group.

4 hours ago, Incognito1 said:

Servers IN A TYPICAL US RESTAURANT tip out the busser and the kitchen, but that's an arrangement between them.  I'm sorry that wasn't clear to you.  Are you suggesting that servers on the ships receive a greater percentage than others?  That would be interesting to know.

Before the autotip started, there was on Princess a suggested amount to tip which, as I remember it, added up to about $10/day. Princess did break it down in amounts to tip the cabin steward, waiter, asst waiter, and headwaiter. I do not remember the breakdown, but it was well known at the time.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Incognito1 said:

Are you suggesting that servers on the ships receive a greater percentage than others?  That would be interesting to know.

Yes.  There has never been any suggestion that the gratuities are split "evenly".  It's a rather complex formula, but out of your $15 per day, X will go to the stewards, Y will go to the head waiters, Z will go to the assistant waiters, Q will go to the bartenders, etc.  And those amounts are most assuredly not equal.  I am sorry if this was not clear to you.

Edited by JimmyVWine
  • Like 1

Apologies if this has been posted previously - it gives a little more detail. Mentions an increased drink price (does that mean drinks are going up again) under the packages. Also mentions that the desserts are NOT the new ice creams they have been advertising. Four juices available at a juice bar? I didn't know Princess had a juice bar. I find it confusing where it says the new prices are in effect for bookings from Dec 14th for sailings in February - not that I'm planning on doing it, but if I booked on Dec 15th for a cruise in late January, I would pay the increased price but get none of the benefits? What????

pp.docx

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ceilidh1 said:

Apologies if this has been posted previously - it gives a little more detail. Mentions an increased drink price (does that mean drinks are going up again) under the packages. Also mentions that the desserts are NOT the new ice creams they have been advertising. Four juices available at a juice bar? I didn't know Princess had a juice bar. I find it confusing where it says the new prices are in effect for bookings from Dec 14th for sailings in February - not that I'm planning on doing it, but if I booked on Dec 15th for a cruise in late January, I would pay the increased price but get none of the benefits? What????

pp.docx 5.36 MB · 0 downloads

It looks like drink prices are going up.

I'm starting to think that, instead of just saying that the price of the Plus package was going up after Dec. 14th, they made this convoluted announcement about it being a whole new package. I originally thought the new additions wouldn't be available to those of us who booked at the old price but now I think they just botched the  wording.The old "book before a certain date  (Dec.14) to grandfather in your price" would have been much clearer!!!

And I do think you're correct that if you book a January cruise after Dec. 14 you'll be paying the new price and some of the new  amenities may not yet be available.

Edited by chamima
  • Like 1

I just noticed this paragraph. So now I’m wondering if we are booked with the current Princess Plus will we be limited to $12 a drink even after the prices go up?

Clear as mud!!! 😡

C6228B19-B191-4CC7-BBEF-F3A8C6E21E13.jpeg

Edited by chamima

1 minute ago, ceilidh1 said:

I'm sailing next week and had the Plus package. Yesterday, on my personalizer, it changed to showing Princess Plus 50 - which I assume means that it was booked at the $50 price. 

So if the drink prices go up you're stuck at $12?

I've re-read that flyer multiple times and each time have more questions.

The "crew  appreciation" also goes up on Dec. 14. So are those of us with current Plus packages covered for the new amounts or will we have to pay the difference?

We have   32 day and  53 day cruises booked for 2023,2024,  both with

plus packages.so   every little  "nibble" as someone wrote,  adds up to a big bite.

I  asked our TA, who is one of Princess' top agents and even she can't get a straight answer.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, chamima said:

I've re-read that flyer multiple times and each time have more questions.

The "crew  appreciation" also goes up on Dec. 14. So are those of us with current Plus packages covered for the new amounts or will we have to pay the difference?

It says: "Bookings made before Dec. 14, 2022 with Princess Plus or Princess Premier will include the fare bundle at the time of booking." 

Further on down it says: "In addition to the changes to our fare bundles noted above, the following changes will also go into effect with new bookings made on or after December 14, 2022:

Crew Appreciation: The daily Crew Appreciation charge..."

And then it goes on to list the new prices.

So there is your answer.  It really is perfectly clear.  

Edited by JimmyVWine
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, chamima said:

So if the drink prices go up you're stuck at $12?

That is always the case. On Celebrity, the beer allocation was very small for their standard package, and even most standard martinis were usually a $2 or so upcharge. I noticed on our last Princess cruise they used quite smaller martini glasses that a normal one in a bar. So there is that method also, smaller glasses or more ice 😉

• Like 1

This looks like new information:  "Complimentary Medallion shipping to a guest's home or office will continue for guests purchasing Princess Plus or Princess Premier.  Guests who book with Princess Standard on or after Dec. 14, 2022 can receive their Medallions at their port of embarkation, or they can elect to have the Medallions shipped for a nominal fee of $10 per stateroom."  Based on this, there is no grandfathering necessary for anyone who booked a package.  Both pre and post-Dec. 14 packages include free delivery.  (I assume this is for U.S. delivery, but the release does not say that.)

The $12 versus $15 drink price cap for Plus is interesting.  The wording of the release says that you get to keep what you had at the time of booking, so there would seem to be two different Plus prices that have to be dealt with on board.  the computer can easily be set up to record Plus-50 or Plus-60 and charge overages as appropriate.  But theory and practice are often times very different.  Also, if drink prices increase, and a wine that was $12 when Plus was purchased months ago costs $14 after February, then while the person is still getting the same bundle as they had before, they aren't getting the same functionality.  This, I think, is problematic.  Those of us whose cruises are far enough out from February will be able to get real time feedback from those who cruise  before us.  But the first group of cruisers in February may be in for a surprise.  But it does say that upgrading can be done on board.  So the early birds will have to scrutinize the wine lists carefully on day one of their cruises to see if the extra $10 per person per day is worth paying.  If the wine you love went from $12 to $15 and you drink 3 glasses a day, it would appear that upgrading is going to make sense.    

Edited by JimmyVWine
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, JimmyVWine said:

This looks like new information:  "Complimentary Medallion shipping to a guest's home or office will continue for guests purchasing Princess Plus or Princess Premier.  Guests who book with Princess Standard on or after Dec. 14, 2022 can receive their Medallions at their port of embarkation, or they can elect to have the Medallions shipped for a nominal fee of $10 per stateroom."  Based on this, there is no grandfathering necessary for anyone who booked a package.  Both pre and post-Dec. 14 packages include free delivery.  (I assume this is for U.S. delivery, but the release does not say that.)

The $12 versus $15 drink price cap for Plus is interesting.  The wording of the release says that you get to keep what you had at the time of booking, so there would seem to be two different Plus prices that have to be dealt with on board.  the computer can easily be set up to record Plus-50 or Plus-60 and charge overages as appropriate.  But theory and practice are often times very different.  Also, if drink prices increase, and a wine that was $12 when Plus was purchased months ago costs $14 after February, then while the person is still getting the same bundle as they had before, they aren't getting the same functionality.  This, I think, is problematic.  Those of us whose cruises are far enough out from February will be able to get real time feedback from those who cruise  before us.  But the first group of cruisers in February may be in for a surprise.  But it does say that upgrading can be done on board.  So the early birds will have to scrutinize the wine lists carefully on day one of their cruises to see if the extra $10 per person per day is worth paying.  If the wine you love went from $12 to $15 and you drink 3 glasses a day, it would appear that upgrading is going to make sense.    

Not sure what you said in the also sentence is true.  Those 3 glasses will cost you a separate $3 up charge, so $9. Isn't that still less then converting?

On 12/5/2022 at 11:58 AM, Jadn13 said:

If you have cruises booked, I suggest looking into pre payment if you haven’t upgraded  to a package.

Is the Elite Wifi reimbursement  still refunded as OBC? 

https://cruiseradio.net/princess-cruises-hikes-daily-gratuities-wifi/

Effective December 14th, for voyages sailing on or after February 20, 2023, daily gratuities for crew will increase to the following amounts:

• Interior, oceanview, and balcony cabins: $16 per person (is currently $14.50)
  • Mini Suites and Club Class: $17 per person (is currently $15.50)
  • Suites: $18 per person (is currently $16.50)

The daily gratuities are shared among the many members of Princess’ crew, including those in hotel, dining, and entertainment roles throughout the ship. Those with existing bookings will be able to pre-pay the gratuities for their cruise at the current rate until December 13, 2022.

Also effective for voyages sailing February 20, 2023 and beyond, Princess Cruises’ MedallionNet wifi will cost $15 per day for a single-device plan, and $40 per day for a four-device plan. Currently, the single-device plan costs $10. 

The line is also making an update to shipping for its Medallion devices, which allows guests to do things like unlock their cabin door and utilize contactless payment on board. Complimentary Medallion shipping to a guest’s home or office will continue for those purchasing the line’s inclusive Princess Plus or Princess Premier packages. Now, those who book a voyage without either of those packages on or after December 14th will be charged $10 per cabin to have them shipped. Medallions will still be free to pick up at the port

They're headed the wrong direction by doing this.  One of my gripes about Princess and its associated lines is the cheapskate bottle of water they leave on the stateroom desk, which, if you open without reading, costs you.  For drinking water.  

And wi-fi?  Maybe in 2020, but now that it's a basic, which even the lower grade hotels mostly provide for free, they raise the price?

The increase for Plus doesn't affect me, since I don't drink, but if you have one drinker and one non-drinker in a stateroom, they BOTH have to get the plus if one wants it.  It's already ridiculous at $1000, now it will be more?  Throw in $10 to ship the medallions, which were their idea in the first place, even more so.

I suppose choice is good...one can always book an inside cabin, do without wi-fi, and tell them not to deduct any gratuities, but after experiencing cruise lines where most basics are included...wifi, drinks with meals, shore excursions, gratuities, and they hand out bottles of water as if they were...well...water..., this latest news just makes it less likely I'll be checking Princess when looking for cruises.  So it costs a bit more, but not being nitpicked for every cent while on the cruise makes it worth it to me.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, claymoh said:

Not sure what you said in the also sentence is true.  Those 3 glasses will cost you a separate $3 up charge, so $9. Isn't that still less then converting?

Tax.  Also, I assume that the hypothetical passenger in question will find some value in paying $1 for the remaining features of the $60 Plus Package.   If it were me, I would pay the $10.  Just in case I have a fourth drink, or want a special dessert.  I am guessing most people would do likewise.

Edited by JimmyVWine
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Flyinby said:

They're headed the wrong direction by doing this.

I find this especially true if the wine prices increase as we predict they will.  Very, very average to below average wines jumped from $7-$8 up to $11-$12 when Premier was introduced.  If those same wines go up to $14-$15 after February, Princess will have gone from one of the best cruise lines in terms of wine selection and pricing to one of the worst.  Bottles that they pay $4 for will be poured out at $84 (6 x $14) which is unconscionable.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, JimmyVWine said:

I find this especially true if the wine prices increase as we predict they will.  Very, very average to below average wines jumped from $7-$8 up to $11-$12 when Premier was introduced.  If those same wines go up to $14-$15 after February, Princess will have gone from one of the best cruise lines in terms of wine selection and pricing to one of the worst.  Bottles that they pay $4 for will be poured out at $84 (6 x $14) which is unconscionable.  

Cs cab on CB was $13 - at Publix today it was $13.49 for the bottle.

• Like 2