Canadian Passport Application times

Sugar67

I know a lot of people worry about how long it will take to process their passport application.  I applied on December 12th, 2022 in person at our local Service Canada office and received it by courier today, December 28th, 2022.  Not a bad turn around time especially when you consider it was processed over Christmas.  Also, I didn't pay to have it expedited.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 7

I have two kids (twins actually, not their first passports either), very similar passport details. Mailed same day in mid August.  One came mid September.  The other? A few days before Christmas.  I filled out the status update online and called twice during that time.  All they could say was “yep, it’s been received”. 

Might usually be a fast turn around but don’t always bank on it being so.

• Like 2

I just picked up my new passport at the post office today.

I sent it by mail to Gatineau (where all Ontario applications go) on December 9, with tracking. It was delivered to the passport office on December 13. Charge went through my Visa on December 21 from the SC Passport Vancouver Hub. The passport was issued December 28 in Surrey, BC; mailed in Ottawa January 3 and they attempted to deliver January 4 but I didn't answer the door. As mentioned; I picked it up today. No waiting in line; it looks like they will send mailed in applications to whatever office is less busy.

• Like 3

• 5 weeks later...

Decided to renew my passport on Jan 25 at Service Canada even though it doesn’t expire until August. It’s due back on Feb 22. I was surprised at how much data entry they need to do as it took at least 25 min for her to enter everything. Also she gave me a photocopy of my passport to use if I wanted to cross the border into Calais, Maine since we live close to the border. I never knew you could cross the border by car with a photocopy while waiting for your passport. I guess it makes a difference if your expiry date is not until August.

5 hours ago, Travelexpert35 said:

Decided to renew my passport on Jan 25 at Service Canada even though it doesn’t expire until August. It’s due back on Feb 22. I was surprised at how much data entry they need to do as it took at least 25 min for her to enter everything. Also she gave me a photocopy of my passport to use if I wanted to cross the border into Calais, Maine since we live close to the border. I never knew you could cross the border by car with a photocopy while waiting for your passport. I guess it makes a difference if your expiry date is not until August.

The CBP and other related websites make no provision for the use of a photocopy to enter the US, the Service Canada employee's comments notwithstanding. Moreover, current passports have data stored electronically on them that the photocopy wouldn't have.

This US article provides information on a variety of reasons for making a photocopy of your passport, but using it to enter the US is not one of them. https://passport-photo.online/blog/photocopy-passport/ The major benefit is to make the acquisition of a replacement easier should you lose your passport. From the article's FAQ:

Can you use a photocopy of a U.S. passport as ID?

No, you can’t use a passport photocopy as ID, but you should still have it as if you do lose yours it will help speed up the process of getting your new passport.

As a former Maritimer, I'm well aware of the more relaxed attitude towards many issues, but I wonder if this extends to the CBP officials at the Calais border crossing.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

The CBP and other related websites make no provision for the use of a photocopy to enter the US, the Service Canada employee's comments notwithstanding. Moreover, current passports have data stored electronically on them that the photocopy wouldn't have.

This US article provides information on a variety of reasons for making a photocopy of your passport, but using it to enter the US is not one of them. https://passport-photo.online/blog/photocopy-passport/ The major benefit is to make the acquisition of a replacement easier should you lose your passport. From the article's FAQ:

Can you use a photocopy of a U.S. passport as ID?

No, you can’t use a passport photocopy as ID, but you should still have it as if you do lose yours it will help speed up the process of getting your new passport.

As a former Maritimer, I'm well aware of the more relaxed attitude towards many issues, but I wonder if this extends to the CBP officials at the Calais border crossing.  

I was very surprised when she said I could cross the border with the photocopy and the receipt for the renewal. I then mentioned to her that I had Nexus cards so if need be I would use those. I’ll have to update my passport info on the Nexus cards next. 

• Like 1

Following up on my passport renewal.

• Renewal package mailed to Gatineau on January 11
  • Credit card charged on January 16
  • My about-to-expire passport was returned to me by ExpressPost on February 1 & it's marked CANCELLED 
  • New passport has not yet arrived

@Travelexpert35 I keep copies of our passports in my password manager app so I have something to start with if we ever lose a passport and need some sort of a record of citizenship to request help from an Embassy. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mrgabriel said:

Following up on my passport renewal.

• Renewal package mailed to Gatineau on January 11
  • My about-to-expire passport was returned to me by ExpressPost on February 1 & it's marked CANCELLED 
  • New passport has not yet arrived

@Travelexpert35 I keep copies of our passports in my password manager app so I have something to start with if we ever lose a passport and need some sort of a record of citizenship to request help from an Embassy. 

I'm a bit surprised. My old passport and my new passport both arrived on the same day, although in 2 different envelopes.

All passports are cancelled as soon as a renewal is received. In the past, when I took it in for the renewal, they have cut off a corner of the passport; this one, which I mailed in, they punched 2 holes in the cover and pages 1-4.

On 2/8/2023 at 11:39 AM, Travelexpert35 said:

Just received my old passport back today, Feb 8, by Expresspost. My new one should be here by Feb 22, let’s see what happens.

The form that was included with my old passport didn't mention when my new one would arrive. All it says is, "You may have already received your passport separately or will receive your passport once your application is complete." My old one arrived a week before yours so hopefully the new one will be here next week. 

• Like 1

We just got our new passports this week. DH on Wednesday, mine today. I had a call from them wanting to know why I was applying earlier than a year, DH didn’t even though everything is the same on both. We went into a service canada office January 17 and waited 4 hours in line.  We were told that the passports would be mailed on February 14.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mrgabriel said:

The form that was included with my old passport didn't mention when my new one would arrive. All it says is, "You may have already received your passport separately or will receive your passport once your application is complete." My old one arrived a week before yours so hopefully the new one will be here next week. 

My receipt from Service Canada showed my date of Feb 22 when my new passport would be mailed. It didn’t show any dates on the form enclosed with the old passport.

18 hours ago, Travelexpert35 said:

My receipt from Service Canada showed my date of Feb 22 when my new passport would be mailed. It didn’t show any dates on the form enclosed with the old passport.

i didn’t get a receipt, just a charge on my credit card on January 16.

LOL … government services 😆 Just glad they’re getting some things moving. 

9 hours ago, vana said:

Hi, 

We try to make an appointment for the Montreal service point for passeport tonight. Next availability is April 11!!! Guess we are going to show up without an appointment….

🙄

If you have 3-4 weeks before you travel, you can always opt to mail in the application. The process seems very efficient, as long as you are careful about filling everything out correctly and making sure that you send in all required documentation.

11 hours ago, vana said:

Hi, 

We try to make an appointment for the Montreal service point for passeport tonight. Next availability is April 11!!! Guess we are going to show up without an appointment….

🙄

I would check with other service Canada office to see if they can do passport 

we went our local office to do ours 

63E1D4F4-3FAA-4FCB-B0A3-0F103EA4AE74.png

My final update on my passport renewal

• Renewal package mailed to Gatineau on January 11
  • My about-to-expire passport was returned to me byExpressPost on February 1 
  • New passport delivered in Calgary by Express Post on February 15

Signature was required for both the old & new passports which meant visiting the local post office. 

And I’ll add an unasked for comment about that 😜 … we were in the States for 25 years & post offices there were only open 9-6 on weekdays, some were open 9-noon on Saturdays & all closed on Sundays. Sure is good to have more options! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Applied, by appointment in person, at a Service Canada Office on February 7. 
New passport hand delivered on February 20. Impressive!

Waiting for return of cancelled passport which, I was told, was delayed internally but should arrive by mid month.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello

Reporting back. Went to Montreal bureau on March 9th, received it by mail on the 16th. Did asked for express. Very good… now on with my driver license renewal… few glitches also there 🙄 

Edited by vana