Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Yukon

Costa Mediterrania Review 2/26-3/5/06

Cathy and I returned last night from this special eastern Caribbean charter of the Mediterranea. This was our 2nd cruise, the first having been the Radiance of the Seas in Alaska last May. Our summary is that every aspect of the Mediterranea experience except the entertainment was inferior to the Radiance. Going through the 25 or so comments from our fellow passengers on a private board, our experience was typical.

- the staff is very poorly trained, and do not understand how to make a cruise special. Little things like pouring the wine and offering fresh pepper at dinner and making towel animals for your bed, and bigger things like saying hello as they move out of your way in the halls. I gave a presentation on board, and the tech guy sent to set up the digital projector was totally useless with an attitude to match.

- the food was mediocre at best - the ship would be a good restaurant in our town of 22,000, but not the best. Of note, the veal offered the first night was inedible, the steak and halibut offered other evenings was just poor. Pasta dishes, OTOH, ranged from very good to excellent, and local fish such as grouper was excellent. Desserts were particularly unimaginative.

- the tendering at our first port (St. Martin) was a disaster that resulted in some people missing their excusions. We sat in a windowless theatre for an hour and a half waiting for our tender call and cancelled our rental car as a result. At La Romana (Catalina Island) the tendering worked much better, and at Nassau we had the best docking position.

Would we cruise on the Mediterranea again? Not unless a very unique itinerary was offered, or low prices to match the service.

Murray

I too was on this cruise and had a great time. I thought that the food in the dining room was very good. I have eaten in 5 star restaurants in Seattle, LA and around Texas and found that the food was comparable. The shows were outstanding.

The staff on the other hand were not very friendly. My room stewardess was pleasant and effeciant. My waiter and asst. waiter were very nice but the rest of the ships staff were indifferent. In the photo shop they were downright rude.

I know that a lot of the fellow passengers on this trip have stated that past cruises with this charter were superior. This was my first cruise with them and I was pleased.

>>I have eaten in 5 star restaurants in Seattle, LA and around Texas and found that the food was comparable.<<

LOL - you almost had me. I thought for a few minutes that you were serious :D

The shows, though, were excellent.

Murray

Gee I'm going in 2 weeks. Not much to look forward too. Anything you want to turn us on to, like if you knew something at the end of the cruise that you wish you knew in the begining.

>>I have eaten in 5 star restaurants in Seattle, LA and around Texas and found that the food was comparable.<<

LOL - you almost had me. I thought for a few minutes that you were serious :D

The shows, though, were excellent.

Murray

Wow Murray...I sailed the week before you and totally have another opinion. and I felt the food was great and the shows were terrible.

Look for my trip report. As far as towel animals, like I told my friend, when I find them in my room, I have to figure out where to put them at night, as my kids don't want me to disassemble them, so I am happy without them. LOL

Did you have to wear clothes in the buffet & theater? or were clothes only required in the dining room?

>>Did you have to wear clothes in the buffet & theater? or were clothes only required in the dining room?<<

Only in the dining room except when we were docked. Probably the only cruise group that prefers to tender :D

>>Did you have to wear clothes in the buffet & theater? or were clothes only required in the dining room?<<

Only in the dining room except when we were docked. Probably the only cruise group that prefers to tender :D

LOL

A crew member told us that, but I thought she may have been mistaken since the seats at the buffet were cloth, I thought they would require underwear for health reasons.

>>....since the seats at the buffet were cloth, I thought they would require underwear for health reasons.<<

Common courtesy states that towels are always used to sit on, regardless of the surface material.