Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ClipClop

Help - they just switched my port to Calica

After having everything planned for Cozumel, I just discovered we are now going to be docking at Calica. So now I have to come up with a new plan for the day.

I'm at a loss of what to do... many of the excursions just don't seem as good as the ones offered at Cozumel. Here are my questions for anyone who has ever docked in Calica:

1. Can we pick up a taxi at the pier to get to Playa del Carmen - and estimated cost?

2. Are their any beach clubs we can go to for the day that offer some motorized sports ... my husband would like to parasail. Any recommendations? Costs?

3. Has anyone done the off-road kart adventure?

Help! (The group is 4 youngsters - early 40's :) ) who like active sports and laughing a lot!

:cool: Hi everyone, new to the boards today!:D

I am sailing out of Tampa on Inspiration on4/29/06. They have also changed one port from Cozumel to Calica. I am very dissapointed as the main purpose of taking this cruise was to be in Cozumel! I don't know anything about Calica and had never heard of it till today. What stinks is that when I was booking ( yesterday) , I had the Carnival screen up for Inspiration on that date, It still said Cozumel.

I spoke to a manager who would only offer to give me a full refund. That's not really an option as I have already booked the flight. Does anyone have any Ideas? And what is there to do in Calica or PDC as far as snorkeling, shopping, restaraunts etc? Thanks

Calica is about 10 minutes from playa del carmen. There are plenty of taxi at the pier as well as jeep to rent.

If you wish you can still take the ferry to cozumel but there is plenty to do on the mainland.

I suggest looking at the edventure tours threads, I did this tour and had a great time. You can also go to wwww.locogringo.com to learn about other things to do.

I also googled playa del carmen snorkeling and sailing and found some companies that have different tours.

Also going on the Inspiration 4/29/06. Was also disappointed about the change have never been to Calica but after doing some online research there is a lot to do in Playa del Carmen. We like to party and there is a Senor Frogs and I also think there is a Carlos and Charlies in Playa Del Carmen. It's going to be a blast!

Honeybea

:D Tang, I saw your other postings about Edventures. Everyone had such great things to say about them. I emailed Ed last night at 11PM and got a reply within 20 minutes. He said "sorry for the delay". I just laughed. So I am booked with him for our cruise.

Cilpclop, I felt the same way. I have been to Cozumel before and new what there was to do there. But I had never even heard of Calica and had no idea what it was like or what was available. With postings from Tang and others about Edventures, I feel relieved that we have something fun to do when we get there. Kind of dissapointed, I would rather go to Cozumel. But I am sure we will have fun.

Well Havana Daydreaming and Honeybea, it looks like we are all on the same ship - Inspiration 4/29.

I've done some searches. I've checked out http://www.playadelcarmen.com/ and http://www.locogringo.com/ and http://www.playa.info/ ... and looked at past posts. I still haven't decided what to do yet, but I'm working on it.

If anyone knows of a good beach to go to... or a location where my husband can definitely do parasailing... please let me know.

Thanks!!!

ClipClop

Last year while in Playa, my sons and DH went parasailing. We had taken a taxi to playa from calica and gotten our spot on the public beach, then DH went to the ferry landing to check it out. They had different vendors right there selling different tours. Well one of them was the para sailing. They set an appointment and we met them on the beach right by senior frogs. DH and sons were taken on the back of a jet ski to a boat approx 1/2 mile away. DH said they really had their stuff together. As 2 people got on the boat , another 2 were ready to leave. you have a dual para sail. He said it was very smooth and a blast. My sons said that the jet ski ride was rougher than the para sailing. It wasn't that expensive, but I don't remember the exact price. I want to say 2/165 but not sure. I was leary of them going para sailing because I'm sure that they are not licensed and all, but I just took a deep breath and let them go. They had a blast

Last year while in Playa, my sons and DH went parasailing. We had taken a taxi to playa from calica and gotten our spot on the public beach, then DH went to the ferry landing to check it out. They had different vendors right there selling different tours. Well one of them was the para sailing. They set an appointment and we met them on the beach right by senior frogs. DH and sons were taken on the back of a jet ski to a boat approx 1/2 mile away. DH said they really had their stuff together. As 2 people got on the boat , another 2 were ready to leave. you have a dual para sail. He said it was very smooth and a blast. My sons said that the jet ski ride was rougher than the para sailing. It wasn't that expensive, but I don't remember the exact price. I want to say 2/165 but not sure. I was leary of them going para sailing because I'm sure that they are not licensed and all, but I just took a deep breath and let them go. They had a blast

Just wanted to say after all my research, calica... edventure tour .

There with a Holiday cruise of 4/13 You are cutting it close though, not your fault.Search and find a cell # for them maybe that will help

they are all over these boards

By far the best for the money and time, let me know...

We "swam with the horses" in PDC/Calica in Nov. 2004. It was fabulous! It was a tour we booked through Carnival on the ship. We rode along the beach and then they took off saddles and you could ride your horse through the water. It was a great experience.

Unfortunately, a guide put us on the wrong bus and we ended up in Cozumel. Fortunately, a guy on our bus was able to communicate with our driver but he kept going to Cozumel because that's what his orders said! That left us know time for shopping, but that was an adventure itself!

Mel

Anticipating RCI Majesty of the Seas June/2006

Anticipating RCI Rhapsody of the Seas December/2006

Sailed Carnival Ecstasy November/2004