Reporting from on the Rotterdam January 14 through February 25

iflyrc5

5 minutes ago, iflyrc5 said:

The noise level is from guests talking and laughing and such.  It is loudest in the center on deck 2 where it is open.  The tables and are under deck 3 has a lower noise level.  This could also be because the larger tables for 8, 10 or 12 are in the middle.  I have not been on deck 3 for dining to can not comment on the noise level up there.

I was on the upper level, no noise.

• Like 1

On 2/6/2023 at 6:22 PM, iflyrc5 said:

". . . .I ask about the water temperatures and he said that guest clothes are washed in either hot or cold water depending on the fabrics and that if you want it washed in cold to write that on the laundry slip. . . ."

This turned out to be important on our recent cruise (as relative newbies).  With over 12 years of cruising multiple different lines  I never had trouble with anything going wrong without my giving special wirtten  instructions on a a special breathable polyster absorbent/hiking material from Tilley, set of  tank tops I have (expensive, but more importantly,they no longer make them  so I cannot replace them) .  The laundry apparently washed and/or dried them on hot, because they came back perfectly sized for a 10-year old girl and I cannot buy new ones 😞

I considered just hand washing my special tank tops after that (a pain, when you are busy indulging yourself and enjoying the cruise, plus they don't get as clean ), but tried again, indicating in caps on each laundry submission not to wash or dry them on hot, i.e., to wash and dry on cold, etc.  Everything was perfect after that! 

Does Rotterdam (or other HAL ships) have a self-serve laundry, where people can do their own if they are worried (and/or don't want to pay, and have time)?  They are common on most luxury ships I have been on but I could not find a self-service laundry on the deck plan.

On 2/6/2023 at 6:22 PM, iflyrc5 said:

1 hour ago, Catlover54 said:

This turned out to be important on our recent cruise (as relative newbies).  With over 12 years of cruising multiple different lines  I never had trouble with anything going wrong without my giving special wirtten  instructions on a a special breathable polyster absorbent/hiking material from Tilley, set of  tank tops I have (expensive, but more importantly,they no longer make them  so I cannot replace them) .  The laundry apparently washed and/or dried them on hot, because they came back perfectly sized for a 10-year old girl and I cannot buy new ones 😞

I considered just hand washing my special tank tops after that (a pain, when you are busy indulging yourself and enjoying the cruise, plus they don't get as clean ), but tried again, indicating in caps on each laundry submission not to wash or dry them on hot, i.e., to wash and dry on cold, etc.  Everything was perfect after that! 

Does Rotterdam (or other HAL ships) have a self-serve laundry, where people can do their own if they are worried (and/or don't want to pay, and have time)?  They are common on most luxury ships I have been on but I could not find a self-service laundry on the deck plan.

No self serve laundry on the Rotterdam.  I don’t think any hal ships have them anymore.  I always write on my laundry sheet cold water wash and dry.  That said, I still wash my pants and a few other things in the sink because they aren’t easily replaced. It’s a pain but it’s better than any day at work.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, KroozNut said:

Can you elaborate a little on this.. What was the source of the noise, engine vibration, hustle and bustle of service in a busy dining room.. something else?

As others have said, a lot of the noise is people at tables. But the servers areas on Koningsdam are large and few. But they generate a constant noise level of clatter. I have never experienced this before. 

From what OP was told, Rotterdam has more server areas and maybe that will help.

m—

Today was St Lucia and after leaving Castries we sailed down the coast to the Pitons and spent about an hour there as they rotated the ship 360 so everyone got a great view.  It was sunny when we got there then some showers came in so get a beautiful rainbow next to the Grand Piton -  Also nice rainbow leaving Castries - see photos

Daily program for Feb 9

DSCN4747.JPG

DSCN4763.JPG

20230208_152032.jpg

DSCN4766.JPG

DSCN4767.JPG

• Like 7

On 1/20/2023 at 11:12 AM, barbon2 said:

So the nice relaxing adult pool is a smoker’s paradise?  I guess we will sit at the Lido Pool.

Only the starboard side allows smoking, the port side is non-smoking. So no, I wouldn't refer to the entire adult pool area as a "smoker's paradise", as you put it..

On 1/20/2023 at 2:08 PM, johnnyswitzerland said:

Agree.  On Pinnacle class ships, there's the Sun Bar on Deck 11.  That's the perfect spot.

I honestly doubt that there is any 'perfect spot' on any ship for smokers to partake of their habit. I'm sure that if they made it the Sun Bar on deck 11(as you suggest), there would be people complaining about that too.

Smokers will never catch a break, and full disclosure, I'm a non-smoker.

• Like 2

with respect to the noise in the Rotterdam main dining room, we ate on deck two aft.  A wonderful table for 4.  However seated right next to us was a very large table for 12.  It was very difficult to carry on a conversation with the volume of noise coming from that table.  I realize they were just having a wonderful time and certainly not doing anything wrong.  But the sheer number of people talking made it a bit much to overcome.  

8 hours ago, iflyrc5 said:

It is always midship A deck and often  forward A deck too.  Sometime the forward has only been in the morning when leaving the ship.  The Dutch Cafe' is midships on deck 3 and would be a good location to meet a group prior to getting off.

I was thinking about the Dutch Cafe, so thank you for suggesting it!

9 hours ago, iflyrc5 said:

Today was St Lucia and after leaving Castries we sailed down the coast to the Pitons

I really liked the ability to access the bow during the scenic cruiseCDCA866C-835D-4D19-A3EE-3C53A7C4C9C4.thumb.jpeg.c88bbab08cba4afc437b2f0809dfa8d9.jpegThank you @iflyrc5 for all of your posts about the Rotterdam!  

• Like 2

Noise levels in the Pinnacle MDR's has been an issue for me as well.  Mostly from the waiter's stations.  HAL markets the MDR as a "Fine Dining Experience" but at least half of the tables are very close to those stations and the servers (while doing their Herculean task) just don't realize how noisy it is when they work at them - plates, glasses, metal covers, silverware all being whisked around clanking and clanging and drawers and doors slamming.  It's just a poor design and just not conducive to a "Fine Dining" experience, or even a mid-range dining experience.  You can't eliminate the windbags at nearby tables who have to share their opinions with the whole room but it would seem like there should be a way to design those stations so they aren't so noisy.  The solution was that they allowed us to choose a table for open seating that we had every night and we found some far enough away from the waiter's stations to minimize the noise levels but you don't have much choice at breakfast or lunch when you're seated wherever there's an open table.

First world problems, I know, but if you are trying to make the experience as pleasant as possible this is one area that they have failed. 

Edited by Real NHDOC

9 hours ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

Unfortunately cigarette smoke often affects a larger area than just the smoking section.  You’ll find me at the Lido pool.

Some would argue that pool peeing is a much more annoying behavior than smoking in the designated smoking area.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 1/16/2023 at 9:56 PM, iflyrc5 said:

This evening at 7pm at the Lido Pool the ship had a reception for all 3/4/5 Star Mariners with red/white wine and sparkling wine with all the officers in attendance and mingling with the guests.  Very nice event that lasted about 45 minutes.

Here is the program for Jan 17 - St Thomas 

DSCN3653.JPG

DSCN3654.JPG

So they have done away with the production shows and live theater productions?

2 hours ago, larry_s_taco said:

So they have done away with the production shows and live theater productions?

I guess it depends on what you call production shows.  Since 2019 they have had the Step One Dance company doing 4 different shows with great dancing and graphics on the main stage to canned music.  We like the shows but we have seen them too many times.  The other entertainment on the main stage over the last 14 months has been a singing group Cartare' doing 3 different shows, on this ship the Runaround Kids which is an English group that plays/sings 50 and 60 music and the BBC movies with the Lincoln Center members playing.  Also an occasional comedian and tomorrow is a mentalist duo.  I understand we are getting a new English singing group on for the next cruise.

12 hours ago, Real NHDOC said:

Noise levels in the Pinnacle MDR's has been an issue for me as well.  Mostly from the waiter's stations.  HAL markets the MDR as a "Fine Dining Experience" but at least half of the tables are very close to those stations and the servers (while doing their Herculean task) just don't realize how noisy it is when they work at them - plates, glasses, metal covers, silverware all being whisked around clanking and clanging and drawers and doors slamming.  It's just a poor design and just not conducive to a "Fine Dining" experience, or even a mid-range dining experience.  You can't eliminate the windbags at nearby tables who have to share their opinions with the whole room but it would seem like there should be a way to design those stations so they aren't so noisy.  The solution was that they allowed us to choose a table for open seating that we had every night and we found some far enough away from the waiter's stations to minimize the noise levels but you don't have much choice at breakfast or lunch when you're seated wherever there's an open table.

First world problems, I know, but if you are trying to make the experience as pleasant as possible this is one area that they have failed. 

Can you make MDR dinner reservations prior to boarding if you have Open Seating?

45 minutes ago, islander47 said:

Can you make MDR dinner reservations prior to boarding if you have Open Seating?

I don't think you can do that.  I don't think that option shows up on the Navigator app until you are board.  Open seating reservations can only be made  for 5:15 and 7:45

We’re boarding Feb 25. Wondering if they’ve shown the new Too Gun Maverick movie.  We saw it on Eurodam in December in Main Stage theater.   Would love to see it again. Thought maybe they’d have it at the pool but I haven’t seen it listed. Thanks for posting all the Dailys. Have a great last segment!  

5 hours ago, RMLincoln said:

We’re boarding Feb 25. Wondering if they’ve shown the new Too Gun Maverick movie.  We saw it on Eurodam in December in Main Stage theater.   Would love to see it again. Thought maybe they’d have it at the pool but I haven’t seen it listed. Thanks for posting all the Dailys. Have a great last segment!  

No joy, Maverick 

5 hours ago, RMLincoln said:

While we were onboard Rotterdam (Dec/Jan) we watched it on the big screen at the Lido pool.