Soft Ice Cream

rome2009

Is it just me or does anyone else feel the same about the soft ice cream offered on all Princess cruise ships we have sailed? It is absolutely nasty. On occasion we have found it tolerable, but for the most part the soft ice cream looks plastic and tastes awful. Is it that hard to make a product that so many other places have no issue making? The soft ice cream on Celebrity is consistent and delicious every time we have been on one of their ships. MacDonalds make a consistent good product every time. Pretty much every where you go to have soft ice cream it is usually good or great. Not so on Princess. IMHO!

• Like 3

Maybe on the Island it was better. Never sailed with her. On our last 3 cruises (Caribbean/Sky/Discovery) in the last few months, the soft serve was pretty much all the same. And yes, there were people who did partake in the product. However, there was never ever a great demand for it...

7 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

We sailed on the Island back in October...I thought it was fine.  Had it several times.  (Maybe I just have a very low bar for comparison! 😄)

Agree with you.....we were on the Enchanted back in December and also thought it was fine🙂 

• Like 2

To me it seems like they have changes it recently. Used to love it, but my last trip, Enchanted in September,  it was awful. Good for me, as I didn't want it everyday like I used to. 😀

1 hour ago, rome2009 said:

Is it just me or does anyone else feel the same about the soft ice cream offered

I agree ,it was terrible on Regal as well. I love soft ice crem more than Gelato but we only tried it once and it was like frozen water. Gelato wasn't that good as well. 

Yes, I love soft ice cream, but was very disappointed in all the soft ice cream that I tried on each of the five Princess ships that we’ve sailed on.  It appeared to be very poor quantity in terms of flavor and creaminess.  None of them were worth a second try.  As cjpj said, calorie wise it was probably good that I wasn’t tempted to go back.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Happy2cruise said:

Agree with you.....we were on the Enchanted back in December and also thought it was fine🙂 

It seemed OK to me although they did eliminate a lot of flavors. 

i.e.- coffee, rum raisin, butter pecan, etc.

15 hours ago, Happy2cruise said:

so did my boys. Both DH and DS couldn't get enough of it on Enchanted in November.

The actual soft serve problem we had on our Enchanted sailing was the lack of vanilla soft serve. They only had chocolate. Regular vanilla ice cream was served in place of soft serve. 😞

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, MissP22 said:

when did soft serve ever come in these flavors?

I think you may be talking about gelato.

20221127_142338.thumb.jpg.16c7305d2d7030b980034d027e9ce13b.jpg20221127_142248.thumb.jpg.bb3891aa67876ae838a2fb9a2ca6e68b.jpg20221127_142239.thumb.jpg.9feb4b65d1e66fff3ac82c89d7fb6b37.jpg

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy

I think what they are serving is actually "ice milk" - which where I live is different than soft serve. For example, Dairy Queen serves good soft serve, but convenience stores that sell ice cream cones serve ice milk "soft serve".

I like both, and enjoyed it in July, but definitely nowhere as good as Dairy Queen soft serve cones.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, LACruiser88 said:

On our recent New Year's cruise on the Discovery, the soft serve ice cream machine was broken and they were serving gelato out of the 5 gallon containers.  Our 8 yr old granddaughter was very happy!

That’s interesting because it was the same on my November cruise on Discovery and my September cruise on the Sapphire, no soft serve. I actually like Princess soft serve. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, MissP22 said:

Asked and answered.

Edited by Senga

15 hours ago, LACruiser88 said:

On our recent New Year's cruise on the Discovery, the soft serve ice cream machine was broken and they were serving gelato out of the 5 gallon containers.  Our 8 yr old granddaughter was very happy!

Same thing on the Enchanted but it wasn't gelato, just regular vanilla ice cream.

19 hours ago, tonit964 said:

That’s interesting because it was the same on my November cruise on Discovery and my September cruise on the Sapphire, no soft serve. I actually like Princess soft serve. 

Just got off of the Emerald and no soft serve there either,  they hand scooped but I don't know if it was gelato or someother type,  it was just ok.

We were on Back to Back. The first week the soft ice cream machine was down, so they were serving vanilla and or strawberry and or chocolate from the canisters... real ice cream... that was delicious. Then they fixed it. One try and that was that for the remainder of the cruise!

• Like 2