Which to do in Naples

NCteacherlovescruising

I can’t decide between two Celebrity tours in Naples. I definitely want to see the Amalfi Cost!  One tour focus on that, “Sorrento and the Amalfi Coast by boat”.

Enjoy a scenic and relaxing excursion, experiencing Italy's most famous coastline by boat and time within the beautiful village of Sorrento. After an approximate one-hour drive by coach, you will arrive to the town of Salerno, located at the very end of the Amalfi Coast. There you'll board a private boat and enjoy a 45-minute cruise, viewing the Dolomitic cliffs, which at many points, tower perpendicularly out of the sea and have been sculpted by nature into fantastic shapes. Enjoy a narrated walk around the town center of Amalfi with your guide, who will explain the history and architecture of the Cathedral of St. Andrea as you marvel at the exterior architecture. Enjoy some free time on your own in Amalfi before cruising back to Salerno where your coach will be waiting to drive you to Sorrento. Enjoy lunch with wine in a local 

The other is seeing the Amalfi Coast by coach and Pompeii, “Small Group Discoveries: Exclusive Tour of Italy's Amalfi Coast.” 

Your private adventure begins at the port in Naples where you'll board a private charter for a scenic drive along the coast with your knowledgeable guide. Along the way, you'll catch a glimpse of Mount Vesuvius, the tallest of a row of volcanoes visible from the coast. After a brief respite in Positano, your journey continues onward to the fabled town of Sorrento. Sorrento served as the backdrop for numerous Mediterranean myths and legend, and you'll get the opportunity to explore the iconic, picturesque destinations. Our coastal trek concludes with a stop in the ancient city of Pompeii. As we clear the city's gates, you'll feel as if you've been transported back to 79 AD. Rustic and full of character, you'll marvel at the stunning architecture and warmth of the locals.

Which one would you choose and why?

I think you cut off some of the text at the end of the first tour, so not sure if you are going elsewhere after Sorrento.

Both tours visit Sorrento (not a favorite of mine, and not part of the Amalfi Coast, technically speaking....)  

If the tour to Pompeii that you're considering is not a small group tour, then you won't actually descend into Positano in all likelihood because large buses are not allowed. It could just be an overlook/photo stop, which would be a shame.

On the other hand, the tour with the stop in Amalfi clearly gives you time there. I'm not the biggest Amalfi coast fan, but I would have to say Amalfi may be the most charming of the three frequently visited towns.

I suppose it depends how important Pompeii is to you. And do you just want a whistle-stop tour that gives you a bare taste of several places, or would you prefer longer times in fewer stops?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

I think you cut off some of the text at the end of the first tour, so not sure if you are going elsewhere after Sorrento.

Oops!  Yes, I did.  All that is missing is: restaurant in Sorrento. 

Both tours visit Sorrento (not a favorite of mine, and not part of the Amalfi Coast, technically speaking....)  

If the tour to Pompeii that you're considering is not a small group tour, then you won't actually descend into Positano in all likelihood because large buses are not allowed. It could just be an overlook/photo stop, which would be a shame.

I don’t know. It’s called small group discoveries, but no idea how many it would include. 

On the other hand, the tour with the stop in Amalfi clearly gives you time there. I'm not the biggest Amalfi coast fan, but I would have to say Amalfi may be the most charming of the three frequently visited towns.

I suppose it depends how important Pompeii is to you. And do you just want a whistle-stop tour that gives you a bare taste of several places, or would you prefer longer times in fewer stops?

Pompeii isn’t that important to me since we’ll be seeing a lot of historical sites in Rome. However, one of my best friends says it isn’t to be missed so I don’t know. Why don’t you care for the Amalfi Coast?  It looks so beautiful in pictures!

I love Celebrity, but their tour descriptions leave a lot to be desired. Other lines we’ve cruised with  had tour reviews and videos which gave us a much better idea of what to expect. 

Here’s the highlights for the 2nd tour. Is that helpful?  

Highlights

• Take in awe-inspiring views of the Amalfi Coast's stunning landscape on a private drive.
  • Visit the preserved sites in the ancient city of Pompeii.
  • Explore the fabled town of Sorrento, which is the site of many local legends.

I totally agree with you about Celebrity's tour descriptions -- they are so vague!  I mentioned it several times to the shorex team onboard my Med cruises in October...

The Amalfi Coast is lovely, it's just a case of "It's not you, it's me."  I love history and ruins, not so much pretty views and cute towns. But that's why it's hard to give advice for others.

Since you mention that it is listed as a "small group tour", then maybe you would actually visit Positano. I just know that the large 40+ passenger buses are not allowed.

Really you couldn't go wrong with either one, but unless you really do want to see Pompeii (and it IS fabulous, I have been there at least 10 times over the years...), the boat ride and visit to Amalfi sounds pretty appealing and also less hot and strenuous in the heat of summer, lol. Pompeii can be very hot -- all those rocks radiate heat and there is little shade.

• Like 2

Pompeii is amazing. If you do that one.. make sure you ask the excursion provider if they can hook you up with a guide for Pompeii (which they should be able to do for an extra cost). It's a must. Otherwise it's just a pile of ruins.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Over from NZ said:

Pompeii is amazing. If you do that one.. make sure you ask the excursion provider if they can hook you up with a guide for Pompeii (which they should be able to do for an extra cost). It's a must. Otherwise it's just a pile of ruins.  

Well, not necessarily. I had read and watched so much about Pompeii by the time I finally saw it that it was far more than just a pile of ruins to me. I even had a list of which houses I wanted to visit. (And I still do, some 30 years later -- every time I visit I have been able to access additional ones!)

For those interested, there are plenty of good books available with lots of pictures and plans, as well as many documentaries on YouTube -- look for anything by Mary Beard on Pompeii. Or if you're a real history nerd, watch the episodes from the Yale University open access course on the art and architecture of Pompeii...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

I totally agree with you about Celebrity's tour descriptions -- they are so vague!  I mentioned it several times to the shorex team onboard my Med cruises in October...

I may ask on the Celebrity forum if anyone has been on one of those. 

The Amalfi Coast is lovely, it's just a case of "It's not you, it's me."  I love history and ruins, not so much pretty views and cute towns. But that's why it's hard to give advice for others.

I absolutely love pretty views and charming towns!  A little history goes a long way for me. 

Since you mention that it is listed as a "small group tour", then maybe you would actually visit Positano. I just know that the large 40+ passenger buses are not allowed.

I’m sure it wouldn’t do any good to call either, because the reps seem to have the same information that’s posted online. They really need to let people leave reviews for them. 

Really you couldn't go wrong with either one, but unless you really do want to see Pompeii (and it IS fabulous, I have been there at least 10 times over the years...), the boat ride and visit to Amalfi sounds pretty appealing and also less hot and strenuous in the heat of summer, lol. Pompeii can be very hot -- all those rocks radiate heat and there is little shade.

I’m torn. If it weren’t for the fact that I really want to see the Amalfi coast,  sure I’d enjoy it. However, I would enjoy the Amalfi Coast more. 

14 hours ago, Over from NZ said:

I don’t know if we would have access to a guide or not. 

4 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Well, not necessarily. I had read and watched so much about Pompeii by the time I finally saw it that it was far more than just a pile of ruins to me. I even had a list of which houses I wanted to visit. (And I still do, some 30 years later -- every time I visit I have been able to access additional ones!)

For those interested, there are plenty of good books available with lots of pictures and plans, as well as many documentaries on YouTube -- look for anything by Mary Beard on Pompeii. Or if you're a real history nerd, watch the episodes from the Yale University open access course on the art and architecture of Pompeii...

I’m far from a history buff but I do enjoy a good documentary. I’ll check into one. Thanks!

Just turned the tv on and dh what I was doing. I told him I wanted to watch a documentary on Pompeii and he said that would be cool to see. Then I explained the two excursion I am debating between and he said the Amalfi Coast would be cool too. He has told me all along he doesn’t care what we do and I can choose. I guess because this is my bucket list vacation and he knows we’re seeing all the history stuff in Rome. Maybe we should do the Amalfi Coast from Naples and take the train from Rome to Pompeii after our cruise.   

we had the same dilemma in 2019 when our ship stopped in Naples.  But as a group of 4, we decided the Amalfi Coast was our priority.  And since it was a priority we decided on a private driver to maximize our day. Then I added an hr so it became a 9 hr tour.  AND, since views from the water are so spectacular, I included a ferry from Positano to Amalfi. It was a great day!  Positano, Amalfi and Ravello.

If you have an active role call perhaps you can find another couple or 2 to share a tour that visits Positano AND Amalfi first, then takes you to Pompeii.  Pompeii and Amalfi Coast from Naples port (italytoursharing.com)

IIRC, it's relatively easy to return to Naples by train from Pompeii, so if you wanted to extend your time at Pompeii, you could do so, assuming you have a long port day.

BTW, youtube is a great resource. Do a search on " celebrity beyond Mediterranean" or something similar to see what people saw and did in previous years. 

57 minutes ago, mapleleaves said:

we had the same dilemma in 2019 when our ship stopped in Naples.  But as a group of 4, we decided the Amalfi Coast was our priority.  And since it was a priority we decided on a private driver to maximize our day. Then I added an hr so it became a 9 hr tour.  AND, since views from the water are so spectacular, I included a ferry from Positano to Amalfi. It was a great day!  Positano, Amalfi and Ravello.

If you have an active role call perhaps you can find another couple or 2 to share a tour that visits Positano AND Amalfi first, then takes you to Pompeii.  Pompeii and Amalfi Coast from Naples port (italytoursharing.com)

IIRC, it's relatively easy to return to Naples by train from Pompeii, so if you wanted to extend your time at Pompeii, you could do so, assuming you have a long port day.

BTW, youtube is a great resource. Do a search on " celebrity beyond Mediterranean" or something similar to see what people saw and did in previous years. 

We will be in Naples from 7AM-6 PM. 

11 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

We just watched the first video you posted. It was very interesting. Thanks!

• Like 1

I really think that many cruise lines purposely post incomplete tour descriptions.  So lets talk about the Celebrity (and most other cruise line) tours.  A bus tour of the Amalfi Coast will only let you "see" Positano from the road (which runs above the cliffside town) since tour buses are not permitted to enter Positano.  If you are happy to see things from a bus window than that might be a decent tour.  Most buses will stop along the Amalfi Drive so that folks can look down on the town of Positano.

As to a cruise along the Amalfi Coast, you are in a boat that goes along the coastline.  Compared to driving on the Amalfi Drive, the boat tour is somewhat underwhelming.  Again, those boat tours do not generally stop at Positano but rather take you to Amalfi, which is OK, but in its best day is no Positano.  The truth is that cruise line excursions give you a view of Positano from above (bus tour) and below (boat tour) without giving you the opportunity to set foot in the town, do some shopping, walk, etc.  I do not know why most boat tours do not stop at Positano (the town does have a small pier) but if you could find a tour that did stop at the town and give you some time to walk and browse, that would be a good thing.

To us, the ideal tour of the Amalfi Coast would include stops in both Positano and Ravello.  Stopping in Amalfi is also nice, but if we were to rate the towns on the Amalfi Coast, #1 (by far) would be Positano #2 Ravello and a more distant #3 Amalfi.  

For this kind of tour you will need a small group private tour (by car or small van) since buses are not permitted to enter Positano.  Cruise line excursions need not apply.  This is not what many folks want to hear, but as they used to say on Dragnet, "just the facts."

Hank

10 hours ago, Hlitner said:

I really think that many cruise lines purposely post incomplete tour descriptions.  So lets talk about the Celebrity (and most other cruise line) tours.  A bus tour of the Amalfi Coast will only let you "see" Positano from the road (which runs above the cliffside town) since tour buses are not permitted to enter Positano.  If you are happy to see things from a bus window than that might be a decent tour.  Most buses will stop along the Amalfi Drive so that folks can look down on the town of Positano.

As to a cruise along the Amalfi Coast, you are in a boat that goes along the coastline.  Compared to driving on the Amalfi Drive, the boat tour is somewhat underwhelming.  Again, those boat tours do not generally stop at Positano but rather take you to Amalfi, which is OK, but in its best day is no Positano.  The truth is that cruise line excursions give you a view of Positano from above (bus tour) and below (boat tour) without giving you the opportunity to set foot in the town, do some shopping, walk, etc.  I do not know why most boat tours do not stop at Positano (the town does have a small pier) but if you could find a tour that did stop at the town and give you some time to walk and browse, that would be a good thing.

To us, the ideal tour of the Amalfi Coast would include stops in both Positano and Ravello.  Stopping in Amalfi is also nice, but if we were to rate the towns on the Amalfi Coast, #1 (by far) would be Positano #2 Ravello and a more distant #3 Amalfi.  

For this kind of tour you will need a small group private tour (by car or small van) since buses are not permitted to enter Positano.  Cruise line excursions need not apply.  This is not what many folks want to hear, but as they used to say on Dragnet, "just the facts."

Hank

Thank you!  This was very helpful!  I found a tour that includes all three towns.  Italy tours

And here's another, that's includes Pompeii, Positano, Sorrento, and Salerno.  

Italy Tours, Amalfi Coast and Pompeii  A friend of mine recommended this tour company.

1 minute ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

Thank you!  This was very helpful!  I found a tour that includes all three towns.  Italy tours

Italy Tours, Amalfi Coast and Pompeii  A friend of mine recommended this tour company.

There is almost something akin to a "code" used when it comes to Positano.  If a tour says something like "you will see Positano" that usually means you will SEE..but not actually set foot in town.  If you are dealing with a private tour company doing group tours, you might want to specifically ask them (via e-mail) if they actually take you down into (it is downhill from the Amalfi Drive road) town.  The most popular tourist neighborhood is located at the bottom of the cliffside town relatively close to the sea (and the small pier area).  Since the famous town is built on the side of a hill/cliff, any substantial walking does involve slopes.

Hank

3 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

There is almost something akin to a "code" used when it comes to Positano.  If a tour says something like "you will see Positano" that usually means you will SEE..but not actually set foot in town.  If you are dealing with a private tour company doing group tours, you might want to specifically ask them (via e-mail) if they actually take you down into (it is downhill from the Amalfi Drive road) town.  The most popular tourist neighborhood is located at the bottom of the cliffside town relatively close to the sea (and the small pier area).  Since the famous town is built on the side of a hill/cliff, any substantial walking does involve slopes.

Hank

This is in the description:

Next, we will depart Sorrento and continue on to beautiful Positano, known as the jewel of the Amalfi coast. Explore the central Piazza dei Mulini, connected to a narrow downhill path and a few flights of steps that lead to the seafront. This must-see plaza allows you to appreciate the magnificent natural surroundings as well as local life and culture. Follow narrow streets leading to the Church of St Maria Assunta, a great example of medieval art. Time permitting we will also include a visit to the Emerald Cave.

This could be drive by?

1 minute ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

This is in the description:

Next, we will depart Sorrento and continue on to beautiful Positano, known as the jewel of the Amalfi coast. Explore the central Piazza dei Mulini, connected to a narrow downhill path and a few flights of steps that lead to the seafront. This must-see plaza allows you to appreciate the magnificent natural surroundings as well as local life and culture. Follow narrow streets leading to the Church of St Maria Assunta, a great example of medieval art. Time permitting we will also include a visit to the Emerald Cave.

This could be drive by?

That plaza is well down in the town so this sounds like the real thing 🙂

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

I can weigh in on this. I just took the first tour you list with this company in October. I think their descriptions are based on an ideal day with little traffic. We found the timings in towns to be very tight. Unfortunately this was partly due to one member of our tour NOT showing up -- we waited for at least half an hour before leaving without her. 

In each town listed we probably had only 30 to 45 minutes at most from exiting the car to needing to be back at the meeting place. In fairness, we did opt for a nice lunch "with a view" over the coast. And nice lunches in Italy can't be rushed...

All I am saying is be prepared for just a taste of each. You DO get to visit the center of each of the towns and not all tours do all three. Not really any time for shopping, lol.

If you want the real Amalfi coast experience, this is the tour you want. You might take a recommendation from one of the posters above (if you have a long day in port) to see if you can extend the tour for an additional hour at a slight upcharge. You'll feel less rushed.

The second tour is really only Pompeii and Sorrento, so that's not really the Amalfi Coast. 

Edited to add:   Sorry, just re-read the description. Somehow I skipped the paragraph about Positano the first time. I still would recommend the first tour if you want the full Amalfi Coast experience with all three charming towns.  It sounds like, from what you've said, that this is what you'd prefer.  Maybe you'll return and do Pompeii another time....

Edited by cruisemom42
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

I can weigh in on this. I just took the first tour you list with this company in October. I think their descriptions are based on an ideal day with little traffic. We found the timings in towns to be very tight. Unfortunately this was partly due to one member of our tour NOT showing up -- we waited for at least half an hour before leaving without her. 

In each town listed we probably had only 30 to 45 minutes at most from exiting the car to needing to be back at the meeting place. In fairness, we did opt for a nice lunch "with a view" over the coast. And nice lunches in Italy can't be rushed...

All I am saying is be prepared for just a taste of each. You DO get to visit the center of each of the towns and not all tours do all three. Not really any time for shopping, lol.

If you want the real Amalfi coast experience, this is the tour you want. You might take a recommendation from one of the posters above (if you have a long day in port) to see if you can extend the tour for an additional hour at a slight upcharge. You'll feel less rushed.

The second tour is really only Pompeii and Sorrento, so that's not really the Amalfi Coast. 

Edited to add:   Sorry, just re-read the description. Somehow I skipped the paragraph about Positano the first time. I still would recommend the first tour if you want the full Amalfi Coast experience with all three charming towns.  It sounds like, from what you've said, that this is what you'd prefer.  Maybe you'll return and do Pompeii another time....

You're recommending the tour you went on, although you didn't get to spend much time in any of the towns.  I'd be disappointed if I didn't have time to do any shopping at all.  A lunch with a beautiful view would be perfect!

Do you think it would be worth adding a day to Rome to visit Pompeii from there, or is it not worth the travel time?  I must say I wish this cruise had 2 days to fit all this in!  😛  Although, I was hoping to add a couple days in Venice and we don't have unlimited time.  I just don't know that we'll ever get back.

52 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

I still would recommend the first tour if you want the full Amalfi Coast experience with all three charming towns.  It sounds like, from what you've said, that this is what you'd prefer.  Maybe you'll return and do Pompeii another time....

I agree, and I hope you do get to Pompeii and Herculaneum on another visit. And then you’ll need a third day to see the Archaeological Museum in Naples, where all the treasures from Pompeii are kept. We finally got to the museum last year after umpteen visits to the area, and it was definitely worth it. And of course, while you’re in Naples, you should also make sure to try the coffee and the pizza, both of which are considered (certainly by Neapolitans) to be the best in Italy!

Edited by lisiamc
  • Like 1

Cruisemom certainly speaks from the point of view of truth from experience :).  She brings out an issue that is too often ignored by cruisers.  On a cruise port day you will only get time for a short "snapshot" of a region, city, etc.  This holds true for the Amalfi Coast.  It is a part of Italy worthy of a few nights (we like to stay in Praiano) preferably with a rental car although you do not want a car to drive into Positano (parking is a nightmare). But the car lets you explore much of the region.  

Decades ago, after a few cruises in Europe, DW and I realized that we needed to spend some significant land time (generally with a car) to even begin to appreciate Europe.  Just within Italy we have driven over 10,000 miles and there are still parts of the country we have yet to explore.  I only post this to prepare cruisers for the reality that you must pick and choose (on port days).  Unfortunately, most structured tours (excursions or private tours) are about seeing the most in the shortest time.  The alternative is to focus on one or two places during a port day.  

A huge problem with the Amalfi Coast is that there is only a single two-lane road that gives access to some of the best parts.  This road (The Amalfi Drive) has a lot of traffic during the main tourist season, often has "stand offs" between giant buses (which stops traffic for several minutes while drivers work out their escape) and is unpredictable when taking a tour.  Schedules can quickly run afoul of the traffic which shortens the quality time at various stops.  On the plus side, cruise vacations in this part of the Med can be truly fantastic and leave most folks wanting to return.

Hank

Since your cruise isn't until June 2024, you have plenty of time to review options. I encourage you to spend a lot of time this summer reviewing trip reports/reviews as they come in. Last summer youtube videos were my best resource. There wasn't much info on cruisecritic.  I was on the NCL Gem, so a search on 'NCL GEM Mykonos" would find some great videos about what to see/expect in Mykonos. Some were short and silly, but some were lengthy walking tours with lots of detailed info. There was 1 couple who detailed which bus # and cost to get from pier to town, then provided video of town highlights, for each port on their cruise. So helpful.  Find out which other ships are at the same port and search for their video and trip reports as well. 

I also used the big social network site; you start off at the cruiseline/ship site, but eventually you'll find the equivalent of a rollcall. 

I certainly don't regret doing the AC at the cost of Pompeii, but if I was to do it again, I'd ztill use a private driver, but do the trip in reverse direction in order to get time at Pompeii.  Drive the back way to Ravello, then visit Amalfi, then Positano. Drop me in Pompeii and I'd take the train/bus/taxi back to the ship. 

Have fun with your research !  

On 1/30/2023 at 10:32 AM, lisiamc said:

I agree, and I hope you do get to Pompeii and Herculaneum on another visit. And then you’ll need a third day to see the Archaeological Museum in Naples, where all the treasures from Pompeii are kept. We finally got to the museum last year after umpteen visits to the area, and it was definitely worth it. And of course, while you’re in Naples, you should also make sure to try the coffee and the pizza, both of which are considered (certainly by Neapolitans) to be the best in Italy!

I know I will want to go back, but I will be surprised if I'm ever fortunate enough to do so.  There are so many other places we have yet to see!

On 1/30/2023 at 12:14 PM, Hlitner said:

Cruisemom certainly speaks from the point of view of truth from experience :).  She brings out an issue that is too often ignored by cruisers.  On a cruise port day you will only get time for a short "snapshot" of a region, city, etc.  This holds true for the Amalfi Coast.  It is a part of Italy worthy of a few nights (we like to stay in Praiano) preferably with a rental car although you do not want a car to drive into Positano (parking is a nightmare). But the car lets you explore much of the region.  

Decades ago, after a few cruises in Europe, DW and I realized that we needed to spend some significant land time (generally with a car) to even begin to appreciate Europe.  Just within Italy we have driven over 10,000 miles and there are still parts of the country we have yet to explore.  I only post this to prepare cruisers for the reality that you must pick and choose (on port days).  Unfortunately, most structured tours (excursions or private tours) are about seeing the most in the shortest time.  The alternative is to focus on one or two places during a port day.  

A huge problem with the Amalfi Coast is that there is only a single two-lane road that gives access to some of the best parts.  This road (The Amalfi Drive) has a lot of traffic during the main tourist season, often has "stand offs" between giant buses (which stops traffic for several minutes while drivers work out their escape) and is unpredictable when taking a tour.  Schedules can quickly run afoul of the traffic which shortens the quality time at various stops.  On the plus side, cruise vacations in this part of the Med can be truly fantastic and leave most folks wanting to return.

Hank

You are very fortunate to have spent so much time there!  

On 1/30/2023 at 1:51 PM, mapleleaves said:

Since your cruise isn't until June 2024, you have plenty of time to review options. I encourage you to spend a lot of time this summer reviewing trip reports/reviews as they come in. Last summer youtube videos were my best resource. There wasn't much info on cruisecritic.  I was on the NCL Gem, so a search on 'NCL GEM Mykonos" would find some great videos about what to see/expect in Mykonos. Some were short and silly, but some were lengthy walking tours with lots of detailed info. There was 1 couple who detailed which bus # and cost to get from pier to town, then provided video of town highlights, for each port on their cruise. So helpful.  Find out which other ships are at the same port and search for their video and trip reports as well. 

I also used the big social network site; you start off at the cruiseline/ship site, but eventually you'll find the equivalent of a rollcall. 

I certainly don't regret doing the AC at the cost of Pompeii, but if I was to do it again, I'd ztill use a private driver, but do the trip in reverse direction in order to get time at Pompeii.  Drive the back way to Ravello, then visit Amalfi, then Positano. Drop me in Pompeii and I'd take the train/bus/taxi back to the ship. 

Have fun with your research !  

Yes, I do have plenty of time to review our options.  If you can't tell, I'm rather excited because visiting Italy has been a dream of mine for so many years!  I want to make sure I make the most of it!!  We have been watching YouTube videos.  Doing a search with Celebrity does not yield much  so we've focused on the ports in general.  Perhaps because their clientele tends to be a bit older so not so likely to post videos on YouTube.  

Thank you all for your input and advice!

I am also faced with this decision, as there are so many options at Naples, from Ruins, to Views, to Napolitan food and food tours, to being on the water along the coast!

It is hard to choose the company for a private or small semi-private tour that might be best!

I am one who, after seeing ruins and museums etc at Rome, Athens, etc. Amalfi Coast will be the focus while at Naples.  And, we are thinking of taking a small yacht sailing tour from another port.

I have seen videos that show the huge bus 'standoffs' on that tiny hairpin road!  Ohhh my.  Just seeing that really lets you know what these tours are dealing with to get all they way up the Amalfi Coast and back!  I think I have heard of drivers who know how to reverse the usual route on less traveled roads, to make the best of this excursion.

I do not know which tour provider for private or small semi-private tours might be best.  But the advantages of getting an early start, with an experienced private tour provider in a small vehicle seem to be very real.  Choosing the right tour and the right company might take a lot of reading of reviews!

Edited by Wishing on a star
  • Like 1