3rd Party Operators

RTR 21-0

We are taking our first European trip in May and consider my mind officially blown trying to plan tours and excursions. Companies I’ve considered are Shore Excursion Group; Viator; Trip Advisor and a few others.  Have read some pretty bad reviews and now I’m not sure which company can be trusted including independent operators.  We are not fans of excursions offered by cruise lines and prefer 3rd party.  Looking for names of companies that y’all have used and would without hesitation use again.  Tours for Rome and Naples and possibly one or two more port stops on our med cruise.  TIA

Many of the experienced European travelers who post here recommend dealing directly with the specific vendor/agency, rather than going through a third party. I'm curious what your rationale is for wanting to use a middle man to book excursions?

Often working through a third party puts you in the position of paying more, as well as adding the risk of miscommunication. 

Plus, in Europe I have found that the more successful (and better) companies don't work through third parties so (at least in my experience) you are more likely to get a mediocre experience rather than a terrific one. I'm not saying there aren't good vendors you can book through a Viator, or similar. But I would take doing my own research on a specific company any day versus flipping a coin. 

Through the years, I have booked with Viator but I would say my success rate has been about 50/50 between acceptable vs. not acceptable outcomes. I've had tours canceled last minute, places of interest skipped with no explanation, etc.

Read through the first few pages of this forum and you're sure to find references to at least 3-4 agencies (not third party operators) with many positive recommendations.

Cruisemom, thank you for your response.   First time European traveler so doing my homework. Many of the 3rd party companies that I’ve researched were recommended through this board and other boards.  After digging further there were many unfavorable reviews such as some of those that happened to you.   Definitely not opposed to looking directly at independent operators and as I mentioned I’ve looked them up as well.  I’m just kind of at the point now who do you trust?  Tours by Locals keeps grabbing my attention but I believe they are 3rd party as well.  

RTR 21-0

Sorry  to ask ,but it would also be helpful for others if you would name all of your ports - and countries!- as a generic "Europe" isn't that helpful when you are asking for specific info.

Rome and Naples are mentioned, but is that Rome for only one day on a port stop at Civi, or will you be based  there for a few days pre or post cruise?

Edited by edinburgher

For Rome and Naples, use Rome in Limo. They operate in both, are a great company, and may give you a discount if you book more than one tour with them. There is a huge thread just down the board.

There are also many threads here on the third party operators. Don't. As @cruisemom42 says, just book direct with the vendors.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, edinburgher said:

RTR 21-0

Sorry  to ask ,but it would also be helpful for others if you would name all of your ports - and countries!- as a generic "Europe" isn't that helpful when you are asking for specific info.

Rome and Naples are mentioned, but is that Rome for only one day on a port stop at Civi, or will you be based  there for a few days pre or post cruise?

Yes, we will be staying in Rome two days pre-cruise then stops in Dubrovnik, Kotor, Corfu, Zakynthos, and Naples and one night either Rome or Fiumicino post-cruise. 

Dubrovnik and  Kotor can be found on the "Other Meditteranean Ports" forum despite the geographical listing error.

Both are FAQS with multiple threads including onfo on private tour operators.  Instead of having to back page multiple times, find them easily and quickly using the SEARCH option which is very easy to use. 

Go to the "Oher Mediterranean Ports forum but not to any particular thread. In the empty SEARCH BOX just under your user name, input the name of  each in turn(leave the default words THIS FORUM where they are) and hit the little spy glass.  All previous threads containing that place name will appear in the results ready for you to read.

You can use the same process to find Corfu and Zakinthos/Zante (you should probably try this under both names in turn as it is known by both names.)  on the GREEK PORTS forum and Naples and Rome on the ITALY PORTS forum..

Edited by edinburgher
  • Thanks 1