World Cruise Travel Insurance for UK citizens

My husband and I would like to do a World Cruise (duration 144 days). We are early 60's with no significant health issues.  Our 'essentials' for travel insurance to cover the trip (single trip insurance) would be a) medical cover, b)repatriation cover, c) cruise interruption which would enable us to rejoin the cruise if interrupted part way through for medical reasons and d) cancellation cover for the cost of the cruise (£48,000 per person).  We wouldn't need any of the other cruising 'bells and whistles' such as missed departure, unused excursions, missed ports etc. just the basics a- d above. The itinerary is around the world - and includes US, Mexico and Myanmar, central america, asia.   Could you please signpost a choice of insurers for the trip and the typical costs of such a policy please.  The World Cruise we are interested in doing is 17 December 2023 to 8 May 2024.    Thank you.  

Try travel insurance by AIG.  I have been researching insurance for a world cruise (6 months) and so far their ratings are up there.  If you are over 70 and the trip is over $200,000, rates are high. Even WSJ rated them very well in the past.

15 hours ago, BlueeyesII said:

Try travel insurance by AIG.  I have been researching insurance for a world cruise (6 months) and so far their ratings are up there.  If you are over 70 and the trip is over $200,000, rates are high. Even WSJ rated them very well in the past.

Thanks for your reply, that's really kind. I've given them a call to try to get a quote but unfortunately they don't deal direct to sell travel insurance with retail customers in the UK.   

16 hours ago, Timeflies said:

Found a broker via google that uses AIG as underwriter here in UK.  Went through all the paremeters online - dates, duration and countries and got a declined message.  Might ring them up and try that way

Will very much look forward to hearing how you get on.  I rang the AIG London office a few days ago and was told they only underwrite in the UK for other companies, examples they gave were Expedia and Virgin Money, and they don't deal directly with the public. I can't book the cruise I'm interested in through either of them.   

Sadly the AIG broker couldn't help.  When I commented that I understood AIG did insure world cruises, the person on the phone did helpfully point out they do provide insurance for world cruises, providing the cruise was lest than 90 days and was not worldwide.  What more could I say to that ???!!!

Oh dear, I fell about laughing at your post! - I know the world's supposed to be getting smaller, but......  Interesting that we both got different decline reasons from AIG, but sadly that doesn't take us further forward.  Every major cruise line markets their stuff in the UK, so there must be an answer somewhere out there, or there are lots of folk under-insured out there on a world cruise right now.  BIBA (British Insurance Brokers Association) were really helpful and have tried to help but none of their members will cover the 140 day plus duration, plus medical, plus repatriation, plus cancellation, plus cruise interruption.  I've contacted Viking Ocean (who are running the WC I'm interested in) if they can advise, given that their product appears to be uninsurable in the UK.  They don't sell insurance, but have said they will investigate. Whose WC were you looking at? as that may be another avenue for you to check out if you have not done so already.  I'm looking at a 2024 WC and another in 2025 and have a budget of around £250,000 so I really would have thought cruise lines would want to be taking my money.  

22 hours ago, 60s Wombat said:

Oh dear, I fell about laughing at your post! - I know the world's supposed to be getting smaller, but......  Interesting that we both got different decline reasons from AIG, but sadly that doesn't take us further forward.  Every major cruise line markets their stuff in the UK, so there must be an answer somewhere out there, or there are lots of folk under-insured out there on a world cruise right now.  BIBA (British Insurance Brokers Association) were really helpful and have tried to help but none of their members will cover the 140 day plus duration, plus medical, plus repatriation, plus cancellation, plus cruise interruption.  I've contacted Viking Ocean (who are running the WC I'm interested in) if they can advise, given that their product appears to be uninsurable in the UK.  They don't sell insurance, but have said they will investigate. Whose WC were you looking at? as that may be another avenue for you to check out if you have not done so already.  I'm looking at a 2024 WC and another in 2025 and have a budget of around £250,000 so I really would have thought cruise lines would want to be taking my money.  

Made some progress today, if you are happy to share email can explain  what I've found out.

@60s Wombat

Perhaps it would help if you added your Location to your profile. That way it would appear under your join date.

image.png.1bd6c2458d1c8d6092fe23b8dfb55d8a.png

Click your user name toward the top of this page appearing to the right of the Notifications bell. In the drop-down menu that will appear, click Account Settings. Under Other Settings, click Edit Profile. On the next screen to appear, insert UK into the Location area. Scroll down a bit & click the Save button.

If there are any areas you want to fill in on the page, please feel free to do so. Per the following from our Guidelines, members share as much or as little as they want. So IF you want to share this personal information, it is totally up to you.

"On Cruise Critic roll calls, everyone is anonymous. You have the ability to remain as anonymous as you'd like throughout the entire Roll Call timeframe and throughout your entire cruise if you so desire. You can be JoeCruise101 until the day you disembark. The choice is yours, you share as much or as little as YOU choose to; everyone starts out on a level playing field on Cruise Critic. Anonymous user names only."

I sincerely hope this will be helpful!

Host Kat

40 minutes ago, Host Kat said:

@60s Wombat

Perhaps it would help if you added your Location to your profile. That way it would appear under your join date.

Click your user name toward the top of this page appearing to the right of the Notifications bell. In the drop-down menu that will appear, click Account Settings. Under Other Settings, click Edit Profile. On the next screen to appear, insert UK into the Location area. Scroll down a bit & click the Save button.

If there are any areas you want to fill in on the page, please feel free to do so. Per the following from our Guidelines, members share as much or as little as they want. So IF you want to share this personal information, it is totally up to you.

"On Cruise Critic roll calls, everyone is anonymous. You have the ability to remain as anonymous as you'd like throughout the entire Roll Call timeframe and throughout your entire cruise if you so desire. You can be JoeCruise101 until the day you disembark. The choice is yours, you share as much or as little as YOU choose to; everyone starts out on a level playing field on Cruise Critic. Anonymous user names only."

Host Kat

Good idea, but I think the title  Wombat gave this thread is very clear.

Agree.  Steve is doing way too much cut and paste in his answers.  It's like he isn't even reading the questions thoroughly.  Not a good performance from someone so many of us have recommended so highly over the years.  

12 minutes ago, aungrl said:

Agree.  Steve is doing way too much cut and paste in his answers.  It's like he isn't even reading the questions thoroughly.  Not a good performance from someone so many of us have recommended so highly over the years.  

Steve owns Trip Insurance Store. This forum is sponsored by and the answers are provided by Insure My Trip, an entirely different business.

Just now, Babr said:

Steve owns Trip Insurance Store. This forum is sponsored by and the answers are provided by Insure My Trip, an entirely different business.

OMG!!!  My bad, and I am SO glad you pointed this out.  I've been reading the answers and becoming more and more disappointed to the point of posting the above.  I'm so so glad that I had a brain burp and confused the two.  Thank you for the correction - not just for everyone else who might have read this, but for me personally.  

2 minutes ago, aungrl said:

OMG!!!  My bad, and I am SO glad you pointed this out.  I've been reading the answers and becoming more and more disappointed to the point of posting the above.  I'm so so glad that I had a brain burp and confused the two.  Thank you for the correction - not just for everyone else who might have read this, but for me personally.  

An easy mistake to make since this may be the first time InsureMyTrip has been featured here. An interesting lesson in contrasts, isn’t it?

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Host Kat said:

@60s Wombat

Host Kat

Thank you Kat,  I have updated my profile to include UK as your very helpful suggestion recommends. That said,  I thought the title of my question 'World Cruise Travel Insurance for UK Citizens' and the fact that I was quoting £ not $ regarding cancellation insurance may just have given a couple of fairly large clues.  

15 hours ago, aungrl said:

This is **NOT** Steve.

Makes us appreciate Steve even more!

GC

Edited by GeezerCouple
typo
  • Like 3