Would you do a 3 year cruise?

PMT51

I don't think I would want to spend 3 years in an inside or outside cabin.  There are only a few balconies and probably wouldn't be available by the time we booked (in theory).  The real deal breaker is that I doubt we would be able to bring our dog.

51C9C2E8-560A-4889-9481-609BFD08B0F8.jpeg

Edited by mahdnc
  • Like 3

Three years might work if I were so impaired that the alternative would be a nursing home.  Once we saw a very elderly and frail woman, who resided on the ship.  She got room service for her meals and enjoyed sitting on her balcony when the weather was nice.  Not a bad way to go if you have the money for it. 

Never done longer than a seven night cruise, but I’m intrigued at the thought of a long world cruise. In theory. Somehow this particular pitch sounds a bit too good to be true. Call me a cynic, but I don’t trust the legitimacy and feasibility 

22 minutes ago, evandbob said:

I've done a 21 day cruise, very enjoyable.  I'm retired (old) , so I have the time to stay away.  However, getting doctor's appts and meds delivered would be a hassle, if not impossible.

That is a very good point.   My med Rx has to be reviewed by the doc annually and that requires a visit.   Med's are mailed in 90 day batches.   I have no idea how flexible any of that is.   That is a wrinkle I had not considered.   

Sound like a bargain if you already spend that much money each year for cruising.  If nothing says you have to stay continuously onboard for all three years, it can be treated like a vacation home and used for several individual cruise segments per year with great cost savings.  Having friends/relatives join you on some segments and paying just port fees, is a big plus. 

1 hour ago, evandbob said:

I've done a 21 day cruise, very enjoyable.  I'm retired (old) , so I have the time to stay away.  However, getting doctor's appts and meds delivered would be a hassle, if not impossible.

1 hour ago, ldubs said:

That is a very good point.   My med Rx has to be reviewed by the doc annually and that requires a visit.   Med's are mailed in 90 day batches.   I have no idea how flexible any of that is.   That is a wrinkle I had not considered.   

THIS is our main concern now, along with the fact that as we get older, there are more frequent reasons that we need to "see our doctor".  Now, Covid has changed a lot of that to be via Zoom/etc., which has been a game changer.  And previously, our physicians have sometimes given us extra "just in case" meds, sometimes such that we'll know when to take it, other times with the understanding that we will NOT take it without calling/emailing and discussing it first, but at least we'd have the med on hand IF it were decided that yes, we should start taking it.

I have no idea how travel insurance would work for a trip of this length, however.

MedJetAssist should be okay, as that's just annual, although for those above 75, it does require modest medical underwriting to get/renew a policy.

IF we could figure it all out, I think we'd LOVE it.  But at those prices... how can the food be any good, along with service and fuel, etc.?  I noticed that the "suites" are also very small, not what we'd consider a "suite", and smaller than most plain "cabins" that we'd want for a long trip, although that would *not* be the limiting factor in our case.  If everything else was okay, we'd just make it work in tight quarters.

(I think...!)

It seems that the people who are most likely to have such extended time periods for something like this are also likely to be retired, and thus older, and thus... meds and medical concerns. 

They say all medical care is included.  What, exactly, is included in the "included"?

It would be a dream, but will never come true for us, for a variety of reasons. 😞

GC

• Like 1

When I retire (again and for good) my goal is for us to spend 6 months or so in a fully furnished condo on a beach somewhere, then move to the next place.  Ecuador, Costa Rica, Panama, Honduras, the list goes on.  Probably catch an occasional 5 or 7 night cruise here and there but no way would I commit to three years of anything except to my wife.