Another Star Review

northwest

We just got off the Star two days ago. She's a beauty; however, we were on the RCCL Explorer of the Seas last year and it spoiled us. The Star was a lot rockier due to rough seas and (heaven forbid) I actually lost my appetite a few times. Especially after the glorious chocoholic buffet; because of the motion of the ship, I can't even think about chocolate desserts yet without feeling queezy. But I do not hesitate to recommend the ship! The entertainment was the best we've seen. The formal nights were not quite as formal as other cruise lines that we've experienced, but we noticed that there were always some people dressed up every night, depending on their plans for the evening. We learned we do not prefer the freestyle for dinner. The waitors are friendly and courteous; however, in the past when we have had the same waitor every night, by the end of the week I'm ready to adopt him/her because they are so adorable. You just don't get this with freestyle. If you ever sail on this ship, check out the indoor spa pools, then don't tell anyone elso so that you can have it all to yourself!

Thanks for the review there's never too many, there's always not enough!

Freestyle is not for everyone, I myself enjoy the option to eat at all the different restaurants available. This might also be that I don't eat much meat. I like the idea of having italian and mexican food available everyday if I want it, I love them both. On my other cruises without freestyle there were a few nights I didn't like anything on the menu not even the veggie option.

I do miss the waiter connection but for us it's worth missing that. I find I like each line I've cruise for one thing or another better over another. They all have their little special things. Sorta like someone picks a Ford over Chevy.

Thanks for taking the time to post.

What did you do in the posrts, especailly P.V and Cabo as these are the same ports we are going to on the Star 4/10?

We just got off the Star two days ago. She's a beauty; however, we were on the RCCL Explorer of the Seas last year and it spoiled us. The Star was a lot rockier due to rough seas and (heaven forbid) I actually lost my appetite a few times. Especially after the glorious chocoholic buffet; because of the motion of the ship, I can't even think about chocolate desserts yet without feeling queezy. But I do not hesitate to recommend the ship! The entertainment was the best we've seen. The formal nights were not quite as formal as other cruise lines that we've experienced, but we noticed that there were always some people dressed up every night, depending on their plans for the evening. We learned we do not prefer the freestyle for dinner. The waitors are friendly and courteous; however, in the past when we have had the same waitor every night, by the end of the week I'm ready to adopt him/her because they are so adorable. You just don't get this with freestyle. If you ever sail on this ship, check out the indoor spa pools, then don't tell anyone elso so that you can have it all to yourself!
to many what views about freestyle are the same as theirs. You give up one thing to get the other. If you do try freestyle again, you can request the same wait staff every night if you like. This solves the problem but takes away from the freestyle concept. Lots of people do request the same table, wait persons etc. NMnita

That's a good idea about requesting the same table and if we sail NCL in the future, we might opt for that.

We visited 4 ports: Manzanillo, which I wish I could go back to knowing what I know now and do more shopping. We walked around in the old downtown where there lots of stores, (not the tourist type) and very good prices. I noticed how lovely and groomed the Mexican women are there. They really dress up to go shopping, make-up and all. Those of us from the US sure don't measure up very well.

Puerto Vallarta was the next stop and we hired a driver to take us on a tour of the town. He took us into the neighborhoods where the streets are steep and narrow and bumpy. It was so interesting! Don't even think about renting a car and attempting to drive here unless you stay on the main roads. He let us off at the cathedral and we decided to walk the 4 miles back to the ship for the exercise. Whew. Fortunately it wasn't hot.

In Mazatlan we did the kayaking trip at Deer Island. It was fun; however, the boat trip to the island took about 45 minutes, was VERY bouncy and I almost lost my breakfast. Not fun. The kayaking was great and easy to do. We took the option of being dropped off in town afterward (mostly to avoid the miserable boat ride back to the ship), where if we'd had enough cash on us we would have done some parasailing. They were offering to do it for $30. Darn! We ate at the yummy Shrimp Factory and took the funnest taxi ride to the ship. Their taxis are like golf carts.

In Cabo my husband did the whale watching zodiac boat trip and LOVED it! They got to see some huge whales quite close and they were breaching. He said it was an exciting ride and worth every penny. I opted out because I couldn't face another bumpy small boat so soon.

Note: Cabo was the only tendering port.

I learned one Mexican flee market is like all the others.

Let me know if I can help with any more info. Have fun!

Thanks for the port update. Sounds like you had a good time. I also got sick one cruise going on a parasailing adventure. I learned the hard way if in port and planning a water excursion take Bonnie!

Thanks

Archived