Dress Code on longer TA cruises

Will be on a Princess 23 day westbound TA next year. Would appreciate feedback on typical dress codes, especially on the very long cruises compared with shorter cruises, on "chic" nights.  Due to luggage weight restrictions are these typically less formal? 

Not familiar with Princess - but [like many Carnival brands] are there self service laundries?

Cunard has reduced 'gala' [formal] nights to two per crossing, and we had three others during the Norway side trip [7 over the 26 nights]. How many 'chic' nights are typical on a Princess week long sailing? Are they only on sea days?

We did a 26 night sailing last fall [QM2 Norway and Northern Lights] and as usual we figured on luggage for 10 days between running out of clean socks and underwear 🙂 . We have the advantage of being local to the terminal so we brought [as our routine] more than we needed for shoes, shirts, sweaters, gowns, tux, wine ...

We also brought a large duffel of winter clothing for Norway - mostly turned out to not be needed.

If we had to travel by air, we likely would have made different packing choices.

On 4/10/2023 at 9:08 PM, Kenhel said:

Will be on a Princess 23 day westbound TA next year. Would appreciate feedback on typical dress codes, especially on the very long cruises compared with shorter cruises, on "chic" nights.  Due to luggage weight restrictions are these typically less formal? 

Times have changed.  Dress code on. Princess is basically country club casual.  You can dress in your formals but luggage restrictions on TAs make it difficult for men.  Women can always get away with the cocktail dress or silk pants and fancy top.  Some people do and some don’t and nobody seems to notice.  Do not overpack!

Royal and Celebrity do not have self serve laundry facilities.  I wish they did but not the end of the world.  I usually do a bag of laundry 1/2 way through a cruise not putting in anything delicate; socks, unties, t shirts are about it.  I hit the gym a lot so I bring wicking clothes to hand wash in the sink.  Gone are the days of formal wear for me so that saves a lot of space.   I load up my Kindle, bring a board game which is usually Sequence and a cribbage board too.  😎

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

As has been said, dress codes, well, there are no more dress codes. Wear whatever you feel most comfortable in. We have done quite a few TAs and we used to bring a dressier selection, but now, we rarely ever change to go to dinner except on dress-up nights, where I usually wear a button-down shirt and a pair of black slacks. MY DW will wear a fancier top and also black pants.  

This is more the norm now unless you want to get dressed up. You won't be the only one dressed as others do, but with luggage costs what they are, we always try and keep the fancier clothes to a minimum.

Cheers

Len

• 4 months later...

It has been several years now since we did TAs, but we always found them to be dressier than Carib/Bahamas/Canada cruises, probably because with all the sea days, people were more inclined to consider evenings special, with music, dancing, and extended dinner times.  Just more festive overall.

15 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

It has been several years now since we did TAs, but we always found them to be dressier than Carib/Bahamas/Canada cruises, probably because with all the sea days, people were more inclined to consider evenings special, with music, dancing, and extended dinner times.  Just more festive overall.

I think the key to your post is that it has been "several years,"  Things have changed over the past few years when it comes to how folks dress on cruises.  The OP asks about Princess (we have 34 cruises on that line) and at one time I would wear a Tux on their formal nights.  Now, at best I might wear a blazer (without tie) and just wearing a collared shirt and slacks would be fine.  While some folks still dress-up, most are smart or business casual, 

Even luxury lines have moved away from real formal nights.  The new Explora Journeys has only smart casual as does Oceania and quite a few lines.  Seabourn reqiures men to wear a jacket (no tie) in their Restaurant on Formal Nights, but their other dining venues allow smart casual.  in fact, Seabourn now allows jeans in their Restaurant.  About the only lines where I would consider taking really dressy clothes would be Silverseas or Cunard (if doing a crossing).

Hank

Hlitner, My point was that overall, dress was a step up from the extra-casual style that is not uncommon on Bahamas and Caribbean cruises, with a few going to dinner in the shorts they had worn to the beach that day.

• 1 month later...
On 1/2/2024 at 3:37 PM, shipgeeks said:

Hlitner, My point was that overall, dress was a step up from the extra-casual style that is not uncommon on Bahamas and Caribbean cruises, with a few going to dinner in the shorts they had worn to the beach that day.

+1, cruises in Europe are far dresser than any cruise line in the Caribbean. 

• 1 month later...
On 4/23/2023 at 3:47 AM, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Just about every line is smart casual now except Cunard.  With Cunard we would need to take along a third suitcase!  

I was at a travel show on Sunday March 3rd and I was talking to one of the Cunard reps.  He told me that what I was wearing that day - dockers and a collared golf shirts would be fine in the dining room on any night except for the two formal nights.  On those nights, you would wear a sports coat or a regular suit as opposed to a tuxedo.

I want to take a transpacific to Japan and continue on to the Philippines and Singapore but I am not going to carry an extra bag all through SE Asia with all sorts of formal clothing.

• Like 1

On 3/5/2024 at 11:36 PM, jlawrence01 said:

I was at a travel show on Sunday March 3rd and I was talking to one of the Cunard reps.  He told me that what I was wearing that day - dockers and a collared golf shirts would be fine in the dining room on any night except for the two formal nights.  On those nights, you would wear a sports coat or a regular suit as opposed to a tuxedo.

I want to take a transpacific to Japan and continue on to the Philippines and Singapore but I am not going to carry an extra bag all through SE Asia with all sorts of formal clothing.

You need to meet my wife! 😂

On 3/10/2024 at 6:08 PM, saltshell said:

How many dressy nights on a 14 day HAL TA?

We had 4 "dressy nights" on our Holland America Line 14 day TA's. (2019 and 2021 & 2022).

But as mentioned, "dressy" is no big deal....I wear kaki pants & collared shirt.  Comfortable and Love it!

• Thanks 1