balcony light on at night

How much detail can you see on those balconies from a webcam someplace?

Another possibility:

I often enjoy sitting outside late into the evening, reading a book.  That is especially the case when the weather is nice and warm outside.  (If there isn't already a lounger on the balcony, we request one the first or perhaps second day.)

I've been known to fall asleep out there, and... no one disturbs me.  DH will leave me in peace if he's ready to turn out the lights, and I'm already "out". 🙂 

Sometimes I've just nodded off briefly and will soon start reading again.  Other times, I'm asleep for hours.

It's actually very nice to enjoy those warm breezes... it's a part of sailing that I love!

(I do this even when I'm in plain view of the Bridge - we like forward cabins - and the officers don't seem compelled to send someone to make sure I go inside and sleep in some more conventional way.  Or turn out the light.)

GC

3 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

Probably forgot that it's on. But with so many people with so many different ways of doing things can there really be a definitive answer?

Yeah how i said.. i´m just interested in. Forgot that it´s on... yeah it could be. But on 20 balconies... on many ships? Maybe. I don´t know if there is a definitive answer..

2 hours ago, GeezerCouple said:

How much detail can you see on those balconies from a webcam someplace?

Another possibility:

I often enjoy sitting outside late into the evening, reading a book.  That is especially the case when the weather is nice and warm outside.  (If there isn't already a lounger on the balcony, we request one the first or perhaps second day.)

I've been known to fall asleep out there, and... no one disturbs me.  DH will leave me in peace if he's ready to turn out the lights, and I'm already "out". 🙂 

Sometimes I've just nodded off briefly and will soon start reading again.  Other times, I'm asleep for hours.

It's actually very nice to enjoy those warm breezes... it's a part of sailing that I love!

(I do this even when I'm in plain view of the Bridge - we like forward cabins - and the officers don't seem compelled to send someone to make sure I go inside and sleep in some more conventional way.  Or turn out the light.)

GC

On the Port Everglades and Bermuda webcam there is a really good view to the balconies. 

And cause i m 6 hours forward i see these balconies at 3-4 am. (Ok in Port Everglades the passengers leave the ships.) And i dont see anyone sleeping on the balconie. 🙂 Maybe i´m blind? 

But i understand your chilling situation 😄 

1 hour ago, VMax1700 said:

Sometimes it is difficult to find the switch (maybe hidden behind curtain) and light may have been switched on by previous occupant. 

Same like before. Then there are many guys who didn´t find the switch 😄 Everything is possible. 

But again i´m just interested in. I dont want to insult someone... 

Just stayed at a nice hotel in the Rockies. The balcony light was on all night...looked all over the room, couldn't find a light switch. The drapes were very effective at blocking the light.

I have also wondered about this situation...we do generally live our drapes open on ships. A neighbor's balcony light can be annoying. Many cabins seem to have a number of lights with associated switches that get confusing...under counter lights, or over valance lights, for example. I think some people pull the drapes, then start flipping switches to get these accessory lights off, and don't realize they have left the balcony light on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Celebrity Liner said:

Yeah how i said.. i´m just interested in. Forgot that it´s on... yeah it could be. But on 20 balconies... on many ships? Maybe. I don´t know if there is a definitive answer..

On the Port Everglades and Bermuda webcam there is a really good view to the balconies. 

And cause i m 6 hours forward i see these balconies at 3-4 am. (Ok in Port Everglades the passengers leave the ships.) And i dont see anyone sleeping on the balconie. 🙂 Maybe i´m blind? 

But i understand your chilling situation 😄 

Same like before. Then there are many guys who didn´t find the switch 😄 Everything is possible. 

But again i´m just interested in. I dont want to insult someone... 

😉 !

GC

4 hours ago, Ashland said:

Balcony light should be turned off at night when you're not out there.

I agree.  (But as folks have pointed out above, it's very likely that some lights get left on or turned on unintentionally.) 

And while I have no personal experience yet on Celebrity's newest class of ship (the E-class), Celebrity solved the problem on the M-Class ships and S-Class by not having any lights on the balconies.  🙂 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

I agree.  (But as folks have pointed out above, it's very likely that some lights get left on or turned on unintentionally.) 

And while I have no personal experience yet on Celebrity's newest class of ship (the E-class), Celebrity solved the problem on the M-Class ships and S-Class by not having any lights on the balconies.  🙂 

I was trying to remember which ship we sailed that did not have light, and decided it was Solstice. Can’t remember it being missing on Summit and Infinity, but I use a balcony so little, I no longer book them.  EM

I was on one cruise where the person next door had their balcony lights on 24/7.  I like to sleep w the curtains open and it was annoying.  I called security who came and asked them to turn off their lights.  The did apologize to me and said that they didn't know that they were on.

DON

13 minutes ago, donaldsc said:

I was on one cruise where the person next door had their balcony lights on 24/7.  I like to sleep w the curtains open and it was annoying.  I called security who came and asked them to turn off their lights.  The did apologize to me and said that they didn't know that they were on.

DON

Why should your desire to sleep with the curtains open trump someone else's desire to have their balcony light on?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SPacificbound said:

That's interesting. Could it be the area you are cruising in they want the ship to appear dark at night?

The notice looks like it’s been there a while. The Westerdam has been sailing in various Asian locales since early 2023, I think…..

My peeve as an OOW was any lights that shone forward .. they were to be rectified. Lights astern of the bridge wing that were causing any issue with reflection from moisture in the air needed to be dealt with. One source of light pollution that couldn't be sorted was ' cats paws ' from the forward white navigation light. 

Passenger ships were a pain as there was so much light pollution that spotting the actual navigation lights could be difficult. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 4/14/2023 at 10:08 AM, Toofarfromthesea said:

Why should your desire to sleep with the curtains open trump someone else's desire to have their balcony light on?

They had no desire to have their balcony light on.

On 4/14/2023 at 1:08 PM, Toofarfromthesea said:

Sleeping with the curtains open allow you to see stars and the lights of passing ships as well as the sunrise - much of which is diminished by having a neighbors light on —- while your curtains being open has no negative impact on others.

Sleeping with your balcony light on might be one way of handling fear of the dark but serves very little other purpose — while having a negative impact on your neighbors. 

The difference is obvious.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mavrick_RN said:

They had no desire to have their balcony light on.

If the person who keeps their balcony light on is perhaps afraid of the dark they can get a small night light and leave it on in their cabin.  If I had my druthers I would always keep the shades in my house up even at night.  I like to be able to look outside even  when it is dark and there is nothing to see.  I admit that this makes no sense but that is how I feel.  My wife however insists on drawing the shades at night.  Guess who wins that discussion.

DON

I seriously think they just forget or don't know how it got turned on in the first place.  I don't want to believe people are being rude on purpose.

Au contraire, once your eyes adjust there is always something to see like the glow of a critters' retina looking back at YOU! Or stars that were essential to guide sailors.  Or ship lights in the distance. Or that one UFO everybody missed .......