Where did you stay on your first cruise?

Honolulu Blue

In what general class was the cabin on your first cruise?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. In what general class was the cabin on your first cruise?

• Interior
    • Ocean view
    • Balcony
    • Mini suite or higher
    • no cruises yet

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/04/2023 at 01:26 PM

Hi everyone!  It's time for another unscientific poll.  This was inspired by a post I read elsewhere.  I think the question is relatively simple and straightforward, though you guys have a habit of complicating things for me.  

For those who can't see the poll, the question is in what general class was the cabin on your first cruise?  Interior, Ocean View, Balcony, or Mini Suite and above.

Thank you for reading, replying, and voting!

First cruise was in a guarantee balcony. Husband respectfully declines to stay in inside or ocean view. I once sailed in a mini suite but have no desire to book anything higher than a balcony.

Edited by mammajamma2013
Was going to add something else but it wasn't relevant
  • Thanks 1

First cruise was almost all booked out so we went for the balcony as it was the cheapest option left. Anyway it turned out to be a great option since it was a ship that allowed you to keep the balcony door open. Never forget the experience of sleeping with the sound of the sea surging past the ship. 

Edited by ilikeanswers
  • Thanks 1

Our first cruise was in 1982.  My late husband and I took a Caribbean cruise on the NCL Starward. The ship was 17,000 tons.  We booked an inside cabin and I remember when I opened the door I was shocked at how small it was.  It felt like a walk-in closet.  I think I had visions of The Love Boat in my mind and this was NOT that.  Ha!   

• Thanks 1

Not wishing to quibble, Honolulu Blue, 😏 but the cabin class for my first cruise isn't included in your poll....................................

Dormitory class 😜

Back in 1961, on SS Dunera, one of three retired troop-ships which were converted to schools' "educational" (yeah, right 🙄) cruises.

About 600 of us, sailing the Baltic from Southampton. That's when St Petersburg was still Leningrad, and Yuri Gagarin had become the first man in space - posters of him everywhere.

Ship's brig had been converted to a self-service laundry (yes, we had to do our own), but the padded cell remained.

Bunks in the dormitories were three high, communal showers, no air-con (just the big Dorade vents & portholes), dining on long tables and clear your own plates.

So I don't understand why some folk complain that cruising standards have dropped 🤔

JB 🙂

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, John Bull said:

Not wishing to quibble, Honolulu Blue, 😏 but the cabin class for my first cruise isn't included in your poll....................................

Dormitory class 😜

Back in 1961, on SS Dunera, one of three retired troop-ships which were converted to schools' "educational" (yeah, right 🙄) cruises.

About 600 of us, sailing the Baltic from Southampton. That's when St Petersburg was still Leningrad, and Yuri Gagarin had become the first man in space - posters of him everywhere.

Ship's brig had been converted to a self-service laundry (yes, we had to do our own), but the padded cell remained.

Bunks in the dormitories were three high, communal showers, no air-con (just the big Dorade vents & portholes), dining on long tables and clear your own plates.

So I don't understand why some folk complain that cruising standards have dropped 🤔

JB 🙂

Cute!  Thanks for sharing.  Let's call the ones with portholes "ocean view" and the ones without "interior".

On 4/20/2023 at 4:52 AM, cruisemom42 said:

When I started cruising in the 1970s, there were very very few balcony cabins, and they were usually suites. Ocean view cabins were what most people had.

I didn’t think there were any balcony cabins in the 1970’s , first I saw was early 90’s.

my first cruise was to nowhere in 1975 in a inside cabin. 

• Thanks 1

Ocean view to Alaska in the late 80s.  The midnight sun almost did me in, I switched to inside cabins for many years.  I still use insides unless it is a crossing with many sea days when I get a balcony.  I have never stayed in a suite.  As long as a cabin is large enough to stow everything neatly I am  happy. 

• Thanks 1

We had a minisuite because at that time AmEx had a two cabin upgrade with the card we had. That didn't last very long! That mini was HUGE compared to nowadays. 

Edited by MJC
  • Thanks 1

On 4/20/2023 at 5:36 AM, Honolulu Blue said:

Hi everyone!  It's time for another unscientific poll.  This was inspired by a post I read elsewhere.  I think the question is relatively simple and straightforward, though you guys have a habit of complicating things for me.  

For those who can't see the poll, the question is in what general class was the cabin on your first cruise?  Interior, Ocean View, Balcony, or Mini Suite and above.

Thank you for reading, replying, and voting!

My first cruise was on a ship that only had portholes.

• Thanks 1

Our first was in 1972 around the Greek islands, in a porthole cabin aboard the MV Delos, then run by a now defunct UK travel company called Clarkson's Holidays.  The ship was built in 1951 as a ferry plying between France and Morocco, ran aground in 1987 and was cut up.

image.png.d1fd2564a73ec30ce1c5ebcf627fc47e.png

Edited by Sekhmet
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I booked my first cruise in 1996 for air miles.  At that time, going on a cruise for a Dane was not very common - very exotic.

Caribbean cruise from Miami with ‘Sovereign of the Seas’ - the offer was for an inside cabin on deck 2 but we got an outside cabin. A fantastic cruise which I now after 30+ cruises still remember as one of the best.

• Thanks 1