No solo cruise fares anymore

Ctlolo1

I would like MSC to remove the solo cruise fare sale from the site, it is not true that it is available on all itineraries and all ships, and the cruises it is available on are not 80% off.  I tried to look at a cruise from New York as a solo guest and it said sold out, but for two it is available, the balcony was quite inexpensive but not possible to book as a solo guest.  The solo guest sale is a lie now and I wish they'd remove it. 

• Thanks 1

I think you are confused about how single supplements work. While a single rate is available on all ships, it may not be available for all sailings on a ship.

On MSC (and other cruise lines), the single rate is normally the cost of the fare for two in the cabin and sometimes an additional amount  added to compensate for the loss of on board purchases that might be made by the second passenger.

I just looked at Meraviglia single rates for May and it is offered and available. The rates offered are  less than the price of the usually double cabin rate.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Ctlolo1 said:

I would like MSC to remove the solo cruise fare sale from the site, it is not true that it is available on all itineraries and all ships, and the cruises it is available on are not 80% off.  I tried to look at a cruise from New York as a solo guest and it said sold out, but for two it is available, the balcony was quite inexpensive but not possible to book as a solo guest.  The solo guest sale is a lie now and I wish they'd remove it. 

Thanks for your first post and welcome to MSC.  

Hello,

The single special supplement 'sale' went from the UK website weeks ago.

My April departure (booked with only a 20% supplement) is available in the UK to book now with a full 100% supplement. However it is available on the US website with a 62% single supplement  AND kids sail free.

Even if the offer was available on all ships and all itineraries it could not be available to all bookings as, in the extreme, the ships could theoretically be (half) 'full' of solo passengers.

Regards,

Cublet

I have tried to book as a single (Meriviglia) and they wouldn’t book me because that ship has some single cabins which were all booked, and they wouldn’t let me book any other cabin.  I investigated Divina and would have been able to book a few months out.  She does not have single cabins.  No discount on the supplement.  It’s frustrating.  EM

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Homosassa said:

I think you are confused about how single supplements work. While a single rate is available on all ships, it may not be available for all sailings on a ship.

On MSC (and other cruise lines), the single rate is normally the cost of the fare for two in the cabin and sometimes an additional amount  added to compensate for the loss of on board purchases that might be made by the second passenger.

I just looked at Meraviglia single rates for May and it is offered and available. The rates offered are  less than the price of the usually double cabin rate.

Personal opinion: A solo/single rate should be available on all sailings that have a cabin available for two passengers when the solo passenger is willing to pay the 200%

If they want to increase/entice that solo market with occasional specials (smaller supplements) then that's even better for that market, but it certainly can't be expected. To remove complete categories of dual-occupancy rooms from view when changing the number of passengers to be 1 is the choice of the cruise line, and often it's a foolish one. I happen to think the online marketing team at MSC is pathetic at best. It turns quite a number of people away before they have the chance to experience just the opposite of that while onboard some magnificent ships, that can offer superior onboard service.  

Regarding the rates you mentioned for Meriviglia . . . for May and beyond are you finding anything less than 200% being offered??

When I very recently spoke with the onboard personnel selling future cruises, that person admitted they are often 'kept in the dark' about most things related to solo passengers.  The individual was rather stunned by the number of solo cruises I've done on multiple lines and was open to my comments that my experience with MSC in planning was less-than-exceptional. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Ctlolo1 said:

It's called supply and demand. When demand for a certain cruise is good then the single supplement could go up. When  demand is lower then the single supplement would go down. When I cruise

MSC as a single, I normally pay a 20% supplement. It's a very good price. I never cruise if they advertise children FREE on any cruise line because demand goes up!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I understand supply and demand but it clearly states on the site a sale is happening until May 31, 2023 for solo cruisers, taking 80% off all itineraries and ships, so it is a blatant misrepresentation and it should be removed.  It used to actually be true because I took advantage of it in December..  If they do not have the sale advertised they can charge whatever they want and not seem shady.  The sale is found under best cruise deals, solo travelers.  It is a lie at this point so they shouldn't advertise it 

• Like 1

It is also probably why you think you normally get a deal for 20%.  It was the sale.  It isn't accurate anymore.  I also think it is shady to say a cruise is sold out for a solo traveler but not for two, that is also a lie and I couldn't even reserve it if I wanted to as a solo guest   It is what it is, but they should remove the sale advertisement from my point of view, as a customer.  I was hoping someone might catch wind of it but the chances of that are slim!

Edited by Ctlolo1
  • Like 1

Quoted from MSC site

Typically, solo guests must pay two times the cruise fare when booking a stateroom for themselves. With our limited-time offer, now you can sail solo and save 80% off our single supplement fee on all ships and itineraries. From meeting newfound friends to treating yourself to some well-deserved me time, there's plenty to discover with MSC Cruises. 
Make a new booking by May 31, 2023, and sail by May 31, 2023, to be eligible. In addition to saving 80% off our single supplement fee, guests can also receive a free 1-hour welcome cocktail, plus the flexibility to choose onboard dinner seating on a variety of cruises. Treat yourself to a relaxing beach vacation in the Caribbean or explore magnificent sites and architectural wonders of Europe and other breathtaking destinations. On board, enjoy countless activities, stellar entertainment, and a range of culinary choices aboard a choice of modern ships.  Book your cruise today and unleash your sense of discovery.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, IsanTom said:

It's called supply and demand. When demand for a certain cruise is good then the single supplement could go up. When  demand is lower then the single supplement would go down. When I cruise

MSC as a single, I normally pay a 20% supplement. It's a very good price. I never cruise if they advertise children FREE on any cruise line because demand goes up!

This isn't a case of supply and demand.  They are literally refusing to book a solo into a double occupancy available cabin at full fare with 100% supplement. Ludicrous.  And possibly discriminatory?

Edited by Steeler Nation At Sea

Thanks for reading. I do understand solo supplements but it is actually a sale they claim to have going.  I don't think there are a lot of solo cruisers so having a ship half full of them would be basically impossible.  So like I said, they can take down the sale because it isn't happening anymore.  None of the cruises are 80% off now, but previously, they all really were!

Edited by Ctlolo1

27 minutes ago, Steeler Nation At Sea said:

This isn't a case of supply and demand.  They are literally refusing to book a solo into a double occupancy available cabin at full fare with 100% supplement. Ludicrous.  And possibly discriminatory?

I think as a side effect of not handling the sale appropriately so they wouldn't let me reserve as a solo so that's why I mentioned that also.

Edited by Ctlolo1

1 hour ago, Ctlolo1 said:

Thanks for reading. I do understand solo supplements but it is actually a sale they claim to have going.  I don't think there are a lot of solo cruisers so having a ship half full of them would be basically impossible.  So like I said, they can take down the sale because it isn't happening anymore.  None of the cruises are 80% off now, but previously, they all really were!

It's a matter of their IT department being lousy.  For example they also don't update their "calendars" in their search.  There is still January 2023 (huh?) as a possible sail date.  You would think that there would be some dynamic programming that only allows searching for FUTURE sail dates, but no... Alas, on the solo offer that is no longer there, but no one has gotten around to removing it from the website. Between the long lunches, espresso breaks, afternoon siestas, their IT dept overseas hasn't removed it yet... 🙂

In a world where singles, divorcees and widowed individuals are growing up by the day it is pretty much understandable that cruise lines would need to adapt. Out of the mainstream, only NCL seems to have properly understood to an extent those growing challenges in our western societies by creating a proper singles area on their new ships. I'd bet MSC to rethink their policy on solos for the good of us all. They're losing a nice slice of the market, especially for out of season cruises. The World Class should have been a good opportunity. Seems they have loosen it...

3 hours ago, Nunagoras said:

In a world where singles, divorcees and widowed individuals are growing up by the day it is pretty much understandable that cruise lines would need to adapt. Out of the mainstream, only NCL seems to have properly understood to an extent those growing challenges in our western societies by creating a proper singles area on their new ships. I'd bet MSC to rethink their policy on solos for the good of us all. They're losing a nice slice of the market, especially for out of season cruises. The World Class should have been a good opportunity. Seems they have loosen it...

You're correct about NCL with their solo cabins but like I mentioned in my previous post, the World Class ships each have 22 solo cabins.  There are also solo cabins, even with balconies on some of the newer builds by both Celebrity as well as Royal.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

Both of the World Class ships each have 22 solo cabins available for sale for each and every sailing.  Of course, when they sell out, you're out of luck.

I'm not clear on what point you're trying to make.  On other lines with solo cabins, I can book those solo cabins OR I can choose to book any other cabin at 200% pp fare (or sometimes less).  Currently, solos are reporting that MSC is declining to book them at 200% pp fare in any cabin. 

I sail solo most of the time in regular cabins and have paid 200% fare, if need be.   If MSC thinks it's ok to deny solos booking outside of 22 solo cabins on limited ships, that's just really bad business.

Edited by Steeler Nation At Sea

1 hour ago, Steeler Nation At Sea said:

I'm not clear on what point you're trying to make.  On other lines with solo cabins, I can book those solo cabins OR I can choose to book any other cabin at 200% pp fare (or sometimes less).  Currently, solos are reporting that MSC is declining to book them at 200% pp fare in any cabin. 

I sail solo most of the time in regular cabins and have paid 200% fare, if need be.   If MSC thinks it's ok to deny solos booking outside of 22 solo cabins on limited ships, that's just really bad business.

The point I was making is that there are 22 solo cabins available on each of the world class ships for each sailing in case some people did not know.  Similar to solo cabins being available on all of the new builds of NCL and some of the new builds on Celebrity and Royal.  These are the options to avoid the 200% supplement. 

Regarding the snafu with the MSC promotion, one, since I cruise with my DH I don't have a horse in this race, and two, it's MSC, the home of bad customer service and a messed up website.  So what do you expect?

On 4/23/2023 at 8:12 AM, Steeler Nation At Sea said:

Not discriminatory! Their business - their rules. If you do not like their rules you are free to book elsewhere. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Nunagoras said:

Then you are more than free to book with NCL. Nobody is forcing you to book with MSC.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Earlier this month, I was able to book a deluxe balcony cabin on  Seascape in Dec for a friend's daughter to be in there solo.  Paid less than 200% and the rep didnt blink booking it when I called. The reservation would not go through online. But, it wasnt a problem when i called. Last month, I could have booked it online as the option was working then, but her dad wasnt ready to commit to the booking just yet. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AceDoc said:

A little trick, if you're willing to pay 200%, is to book the cabin with a dummy cabin-mate. Of course, you could probably also ask for volunteers here for an actual free cabin-mate. 😄

Wouldn't it be easier to go on Tinder, that way it could be someone local to you. 😁