Astoria Oregon Cruise Ship Shuttle

Hello, we will be porting in Astoria on May 3.  The port website mentions an all-day shuttle for $15 a person.  Has anyone taken this shuttle?  If so, do you have a map of the stops?  Thank you.

7 minutes ago, mbglib said:

Hello, we will be porting in Astoria on May 3.  The port website mentions an all-day shuttle for $15 a person.  Has anyone taken this shuttle?  If so, do you have a map of the stops?  Thank you.

Per the website it sounds like it only runs between the port and Downtown Astoria with no other stops in between.

https://www.portofastoria.com/Pier_Side_Activities.aspx

• Like 1

The Shuttle is operated by the Visitor's Volunteer Group.  It is a round trip loop that drops you off/picks you up at either a town location or the Maritime Museum.  There was a very knowledgeable volunteer on our bus to town.  He spouted lots of history and pointed out interesting things along the way.  

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

The Shuttle is operated by the Visitor's Volunteer Group.  It is a round trip loop that drops you off/picks you up at either a town location or the Maritime Museum.  There was a very knowledgeable volunteer on our bus to town.  He spouted lots of history and pointed out interesting things along the way.  

Thank you.  This is just what I was wanting to hear. 

42 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

I thought of another question, "Do you know how often the shuttle runs?"  Thank you.

4 hours ago, mbglib said:

Thanks, I saw that, but I also saw mention elsewhere of it going to the Maritime Museum, so it made me curious.

We walked and did not use the shuttle, but just want to say we thought the Maritime Musuem was very interesting. We stopped at a few local breweries on the way back to the ship. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Buckeye10640 said:

We walked and did not use the shuttle, but just want to say we thought the Maritime Musuem was very interesting. We stopped at a few local breweries on the way back to the ship. 

Thanks.  We would like to walk too, but trying to plan in case of rain.  

2 hours ago, mbglib said:

I thought of another question, "Do you know how often the shuttle runs?"  Thank you.

I think it ran every 30 minutes or so.  We missed a bus and had to wait about 10-15 minutes (when we were entertained by the volunteer).  There is a trolley that will also take you to town, when it is working.  It didn't go all the way when we were there last September.  

Great town to walk around.  No Diamonds Internationals....Get an early start. I think the last shuttle is around 3:30.  We saw lots of taxis show up after dark.

2 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

I think it ran every 30 minutes or so.  We missed a bus and had to wait about 10-15 minutes (when we were entertained by the volunteer).  There is a trolley that will also take you to town, when it is working.  It didn't go all the way when we were there last September.  

Great town to walk around.  No Diamonds Internationals....Get an early start. I think the last shuttle is around 3:30.  We saw lots of taxis show up after dark.

Thank you.  I saw the references to the trolley too if you are talking about the riverfront one, but I believe it didn't start operating until noon and might not operate in bad weather.  It did sound interesting though.

20 hours ago, mbglib said:

Thanks.  That looks like fun, but, if I am reading it right, the trolley doesn't start until noon and may not run during inclement weather.

It also suffers mechanical issues with very limited availability of volunteers with the skillset to maintain it - which I believe is the primary reason for the 'no running in dodgy weather'! We've managed to ride it once, on our first visit to Astoria many moons ago - every other time it's been unavailable or worthless to us for various combinations of 'broken for months and no idea when it will be back', 'broken for months but now we have repairs scheduled, come back next summer', 'trolley is fine but the tracks need fixed so it doesn't go as far as the Maritime Museum' or just 'it's raining, no trolley for you!' This is the only railway in the world that makes British Rail and their 'no trains because the wrong kind of leaves are lying on the tracks' look reliable! 😉

Frankly you can also walk along the entire route, likely faster than the trolley moves on average, so it really should be looked at the same as the wee trains at some zoos, Disney etc. - not as practical transpo to get somewhere, but just a fun experience as it is a cool thing to ride on.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 4/24/2023 at 11:06 AM, mbglib said:

$15 seems high, esp. if we want to just go into town and back to the ship once. How walkable is it?