Any one on Arcadia now

cruzadict

1 hour ago, jh1809 said:

I haven't seen a photographer on a cruise since before Covid. I imagine that, now that most people have smartphones and take their own photos, P&O no longer found that providing ship photographers was sufficiently profitable.

They're absolutely everywhere on Arvia with long queues on Celebration Night.  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, lindylooellalouise said:

Yes will do 

but there just not quite as good as one taken by a professional photographer 🫣

Last time I saw photographers on a cruise they looked like a bunch of students,not very professional!😙

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, snaefell said:

Last time I saw photographers on a cruise they looked like a bunch of students,not very professional!😙

Our daughters friend from uni was a photographer on one of our cruises. 

They seem to take graduates at the completion of their degrees, effectively their first full time job. 

Most of the ones we have encountered have been good. 

Andy 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, AndyMichelle said:

Our daughters friend from uni was a photographer on one of our cruises. 

They seem to take graduates at the completion of their degrees, effectively their first full time job. 

Most of the ones we have encountered have been good. 

Andy 

And Good luck to them all!  Young and enthusiastic at the start of their careers.

We all started somewhere! 

• Like 5

I’m quite conflicted when it comes to ships photographers. On the one hand, I find it an irritating intrusion when they come around the tables during dinner, delay people getting on and off the ship in ports and cause congestion in the atrium.

However, other than when the kids were very young (when we had some professional family photos taken), the best photos of our daughters as teenagers, and also my late Dad, are those taken on cruise ships on formal nights. I guess that the best balance is having photographers available, but you go to them in places that don’t cause snarl ups, rather than the hard sell approach. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Selbourne said:

I’m quite conflicted when it comes to ships photographers. On the one hand, I find it an irritating intrusion when they come around the tables during dinner, delay people getting on and off the ship in ports and cause congestion in the atrium.

However, other than when the kids were very young (when we had some professional family photos taken), the best photos of our daughters as teenagers, and also my late Dad, are those taken on cruise ships on formal nights. I guess that the best balance is having photographers available, but you go to them in places that don’t cause snarl ups, rather than the hard sell approach. 

Although they were on Iona in March/April, I only sae them taking photos in the Atrium. never saw them in a restaurant or getting off the ship.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I used to hate it when they set up in the atrium and on the 'grand' staircase.

There would be a delightful ambience with soft music, and everyone dressed up to the nines. And then, bam. A huge white reflector stopping you taking in the view, roped off sections blocking the natural flow and taking up valuable space where people were being encouraged to congregate, and people hopping about to avoid the trailing wires etc. Completely spoiled the atmosphere. 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

I hate them, always in your face, end of the gangway, intruding at dinner.  In this day and age, when most have a smartphone, why the need?

We just ignored them, never made any eye contact with them, found most of them went away. We have only ever purchased 2 photographs from them, both on formal nights, we wouldn’t buy any more, we would just get someone to take our photo with outer camera or phone, much cheaper and often much better photographs.

My wife has a keen interest in photography having a great great Grandfather and great grandfather and 2 uncles who were all professional photographers with their own studios, and she worked for 5 years as a photographer herself, she often watches the ships photographers at work and has said putting a camera in the hand of someone and paying them doesn’t make them a professional photographer. 

12 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

I hate them, always in your face, end of the gangway, intruding at dinner.  In this day and age, when most have a smartphone, why the need?

They don’t come round the tables at dinner any more, we always just used to say no thanks. They are still around the ship especially on formal night and I think we saw a few as you get off the ship in ports but not that many and they weren’t hassling people. What I haven’t seen, unless I’ve forgotten, is photos being taken as you board the ship for the first time. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Jazzytelly said:

What I haven’t seen, unless I’ve forgotten, is photos being taken as you board the ship for the first time. 

That is the one thing that has really annoyed us, being expected to wait to embark whilst photos are taken of other people.  I am sure most people just agreed to let themselves be photographed at that stage so as not to argue, but never bought the photos.

I can understand wanting photographers on a ship to take photos on special occasions, but who realistically wants their photo taken when they have been travelling and going through the embarkation process.

• Like 8

8 hours ago, tring said:

That is the one thing that has really annoyed us, being expected to wait to embark whilst photos are taken of other people.  I am sure most people just agreed to let themselves be photographed at that stage so as not to argue, but never bought the photos.

I can understand wanting photographers on a ship to take photos on special occasions, but who realistically wants their photo taken when they have been travelling and going through the embarkation process.

Well exactly I certainly never do. Do they still do them as you board? 

12 hours ago, tring said:

My mother! She always bought the photo package on a cruise, pictures wherever they were taken. At the time I thought she was insane but when she died I inherited them and now love looking at them to recall our happy times and the silly things we did for the photographer.  

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

My mother! She always bought the photo package on a cruise, pictures wherever they were taken. At the time I thought she was insane but when she died I inherited them and now love looking at them to recall our happy times and the silly things we did for the photographer.  

What beautiful memories for you to have, we always buy one photo when we’re on a cruise but we especially want a professional one taken for our next cruise on Arcadia next week.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, lindylooellalouise said:

Awe I must be the only person to be disappointed 😢 

I can see why you want a picture for a special occasion and do not believe you will be alone in your wishes, in fact I thought packages for special occasions include photos.  I know that is the case with Fred, but perhaps I just assumed it would have been the same on P&O as well.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, lindylooellalouise said:

What beautiful memories for you to have, we always buy one photo when we’re on a cruise but we especially want a professional one taken for our next cruise on Arcadia next week.

On Arcadia now. No photographers.

There were photographers on Britiannia on our last cruise in April. My wife no longer has her photo taken as she now uses a wheelchair . She says that "she doesn't want a photo with this ugly thing", hope she means the wheelchair and not me lol🤣

• Haha 6

2 hours ago, tring said:

I can see why you want a picture for a special occasion and do not believe you will be alone in your wishes, in fact I thought packages for special occasions include photos.  I know that is the case with Fred, but perhaps I just assumed it would have been the same on P&O as well.

Yes the packages do say they include a formal portrait photograph.

There may just be one photographer who is onboard to do these and for those who request them, rather than a whole team of them.

It might be worth sending P&O an email @lindylooellalouise to find out. You could also try calling, but you will be on hold for a very long time so email is probably quicker! 

1 minute ago, CarlaMarie said:

Yes the packages do say they include a formal portrait photograph.

There may just be one photographer who is onboard to do these and for those who request them, rather than a whole team of them.

It might be worth sending P&O an email @lindylooellalouise to find out. You could also try calling, but you will be on hold for a very long time so email is probably quicker! 

Thanks for the good advice will definitely email so fingers crossed, would really like a photo to celebrate our 50th anniversary, our original wedding photographs were mislaid during one of our numerous house moves.I think photos are  just wonderful memories.

• Like 1