Explorer 2 On Ship Questions

Hi all,

We are new to cruising and going on our first cruise in August. A two week back to back (Adriatic Affair and Sail Three Seas). Staying in a mid ship balcony cabin on deck 9. Doing plenty of research on ports and excursions/exploring on our own but just have a few questions regarding the ship.

I'd imagine the ship is likely to be at pretty much full capacity. Will getting a sun lounger be an issue, particularly on a sea day. We aren't bothered about being around the pool and would be happy on the decks above. Don't really want to be having to get up at silly o'clock to get one though.

In terms of bars are they all waiter service or do you go to the bar? are there often big queues? is the Indigo lounge popular later of an evening as having two sea days we may well plan on having a couple of later nights the night before and also on a couple of days where we are just going to have a wander around the local port. What time does Indigo actually stay open until?

Dining in the main dining rooms (Latitude/Vista) will we be able to get a table for two easily enough or have to share with others? we wouldn't mind waiting if need be. We like to sit down to eat around 8-8:30pm which I'd imagine is the popular time. Is it easier to get table in Nonas of a night? and also is the Mediterranean Tapas Taps restaurant section still within the market place buffet? 

We (me and my wife) are both mega excited. So excited in fact that our first cruise wasn't supposed to be until next July (on Explorer 1, Aegean Shores) but we decided a couple of weeks ago we couldn't wait that long so decided to book for this one in August.

Any info much appreciated.

Mark 

Hi Mark.

the majority of sun loungers are reserved usually before breakfast finishes, The British thing of putting a towel and book on them and then disappearing until noon is very apparent.Tui say they will remove towels if they are unoccupied for more than fourty mins but this is very rarely carried out🤷🏻‍♂️

Ther are sun loungers on the higher decks which are sometimes less busy.

All bars are waiter service and the staff are pretty good. When I embark I usually let one of the waiters know I am onboard for whatever duration and promise them a tip at the end of my trip. The service goes from good to amazing.😉

The indigo is open til late but not sure if it’s one or two o clock.

Tables for two are plentiful but if there is a wait they will give you a pager that lets you know when your table is ready.

Book yourself a meal in the surf and turf it’s chargeable but well worth it.(if you like steak)

Anything else that you need to know just ask away, they are a pretty good bunch of people on this forum with decades of knowledge.😂😂

• Like 1

Thanks @Brummijam. Is there an issue with sun loungers even on non sea days? we thought we'd be okay if happy to go on decks above the pool deck but it seems not.

We were wondering when it would be best to tip but seems a good idea you letting it known how long you are on for and promising a tip.

I assume you are from Birmingham, we are from Birmingham as well 🙂 

• Like 1

Hi Brick1, there are usually plenty of sunbeds to be found around the higher decks.  Personally we prefer to find somewhere a bit quieter as it can get a bit noisy by the pool with music and quizzes.  We also sometimes move as we can't sit in the sun all day and like to find a shaded area. It's also nice to sit on the balcony with a drink for a bit of quiet.

You don't need to tip but it is nice if someone has gone above and beyond, usually the cabin staff.  I once tipped a toilet attendant who was always there keeping everything spotless,  I was convinced she lived in the loo!

Please let us know how you go on, it's always good to hear what others think.

• Like 1

Thanks @dronnygirl that is reassuring about us likely being able to find a lounger on the higher decks. We'd prefer it be quieter anyway. Also looking forward to getting on the cabin balcony when there is a bit of sun on it.

We know tips are supposedly included but still plan on tipping.

Will definitely post how we got on although it is still 4 months away so sure I will be posting a few more questions prior to then 🙂 

Mark 

1 hour ago, Brick1 said:

Thanks @Brummijam. Is there an issue with sun loungers even on non sea days? we thought we'd be okay if happy to go on decks above the pool deck but it seems not.

We were wondering when it would be best to tip but seems a good idea you letting it known how long you are on for and promising a tip.

I assume you are from Birmingham, we are from Birmingham as well 🙂 

I assume you are from Birmingham, we are from Birmingham as well 

Yes Mark.

English by birth,Brummie by the grace of god.😉👍

• Haha 1

Hi, we are on Explorer 2 in a fortnight, I will let you know about the sunbed situation!  We love Marella and were on Discovery 2 in September.  Generally as someone has said above, people are so selfish with towels on beds and leaving them empty, it drives me mad!  My tip is find your space and move a bed, sometimes what looks like a good spot is really windy and the best places are to be behind something.  The dining room is really accommodating if you want to just sit on a table for 2, however we like sharing it's great to meet new people, the people sharing with us might not agree!!!  It's really good to look on some of the port info on itineraries, but also other websites, I think trip advisor also might have some info.  I'm a total geek in doing research, but it pays off, we have had some amazing finds and recommendations for doing that! When people are well travelled they know the less touristy places, the best views, best food and drink and most importantly "what to avoid".  Your interties are the absolute best, you couldn't have made better choices in my opinion, the sail in to Kotor is like the sailing into the Norwegian Fjords! Venice is spectacular, but equally Trieste is lovely if you don't want the trip in.  I will answer any questions you have if I can about the Sail Three Seas when we are back and equally I've done the Adriatic a couple of times.  I think you will love it.  It's great to do your research, for me it's all part of the holiday and the excitement leading up to it! In terms of tipping, I always tip the cabin stewards they work so hard (for not a lot of money, generally have families back home) and they keep your cabin spotless.  Bar and restaurant staff is more of a choice, depending on the relationships you make and the service you get I think. 

• Like 2

Thanks @JATeesside. I will definitely keep in mind what you have said about moving the sun loungers. You are right about people being selfish with sunbeds and putting a towel on and going off for half the day. We have experienced loads of that on land holidays but were hoping it may have been different on a cruise but it was probably just wishful thinking 🙂 

We have been told a few times we have picked two great cruises in terms of locations. I have done a fair bit of research and it has pretty much taken up all of my spare time since we booked it and we don't go for 4 months! I will definitely tap into your knowledge though as you have visited the same places.

Have a great time on your cruise in a couple of weeks. I look forward to reading about how you got on so make sure you post.

Mark 

Hi Brick1, you can usually grab a lounger on the promenade decks as well on sea days (make sure you get the sunny side)

Loungers are usually plentiful on days when in port, don't forget the ship is your holiday as well, make use of the facilities, if you don't fancy getting off somewhere, enjoy yourself on the ship. (Bars / Pools / hot tubs etc / have a leisurely lunch or a couple of beers in the sun)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Brick1 said:

Thanks @Tony1878 there is one port (Ravenna) that we are going to on a Sunday and everything is apparently closed and the excursions we don't really fancy so we may well stay on the ship that day and just chill out/use the facilities. 

I believe the mosaics are open Sundays if you want to see them.  Also the Italians all go out for Sunday lunch so the cafes and restaurants will be open. We find it interesting to people watch so would definitely go ashore if only for a short time 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dronnygirl said:

I believe the mosaics are open Sundays if you want to see them.  Also the Italians all go out for Sunday lunch so the cafes and restaurants will be open. We find it interesting to people watch so would definitely go ashore if only for a short time 

Thank you. A lot of what we had read on the FB pages etc was that it would be really quite being a Sunday but now you have said this then we'll plan differently and may well get ourselves into Ravenna. 

On 4/28/2023 at 3:40 PM, JATeesside said:

Hi, we are on Explorer 2 in a fortnight, I will let you know about the sunbed situation!  We love Marella and were on Discovery 2 in September.  Generally as someone has said above, people are so selfish with towels on beds and leaving them empty, it drives me mad!  My tip is find your space and move a bed, sometimes what looks like a good spot is really windy and the best places are to be behind something.  The dining room is really accommodating if you want to just sit on a table for 2, however we like sharing it's great to meet new people, the people sharing with us might not agree!!!  It's really good to look on some of the port info on itineraries, but also other websites, I think trip advisor also might have some info.  I'm a total geek in doing research, but it pays off, we have had some amazing finds and recommendations for doing that! When people are well travelled they know the less touristy places, the best views, best food and drink and most importantly "what to avoid".  Your interties are the absolute best, you couldn't have made better choices in my opinion, the sail in to Kotor is like the sailing into the Norwegian Fjords! Venice is spectacular, but equally Trieste is lovely if you don't want the trip in.  I will answer any questions you have if I can about the Sail Three Seas when we are back and equally I've done the Adriatic a couple of times.  I think you will love it.  It's great to do your research, for me it's all part of the holiday and the excitement leading up to it! In terms of tipping, I always tip the cabin stewards they work so hard (for not a lot of money, generally have families back home) and they keep your cabin spotless.  Bar and restaurant staff is more of a choice, depending on the relationships you make and the service you get I think. 

Hi, I’ve been to Dubrovnik, Split and Kotor which are all fine with shuttle buses or to just wander, you don’t need trips. I’ve been lucky enough to sail into Venice so not done a trip. My only concern is apparently the Italian trains are notoriously bad for cancellations, if you book with the ship, they have to wait for you! Even just book something like “Venice on your own”, then just the transport there. Venice is so accessible to do on your once you are there.