COVID PASSES

JoJo1947

Is Saga still requiring guests and crew to be fully up to date with vaccinations, and it's just that we no longer have to give evidence of this?

If this is a sign that the threat of Covid on Saga ships has significantly reduced, then that in itself is good news.

15 hours ago, Vivaldi said:

Is Saga still requiring guests and crew to be fully up to date with vaccinations, and it's just that we no longer have to give evidence of this?

If this is a sign that the threat of Covid on Saga ships has significantly reduced, then that in itself is good news.

We have to take Covid passes for our cruise which departs this Saturday.  Whether they will check them is another matter.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Vivaldi said:

I think that most countries, in Europe at least, have come to the conclusion that Covid is not going to go away and is now a disease which we are now going to have to live with, like influenza. I am going to Germany next week on a river cruise and like the UK Germany has dropped all Covid restrictions. And there is no mention of it in my joining instructions other than general advice re good hygene. Saga is no doubt going with the flow, albeit at a slower pace than some.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Vivaldi said:

Always a threat anywhere however other cruise lines have ditched the need to show covid passes

We've just paid the balance on a forthcoming cruise on the SofA and have been told that Covid passes are still required. 

As a separate point, we only have one smart phone between us and it is a lot smarter than we are, so we have no clue about how to use it beyond the very basics. Consequently we downloaded our Covid passes from the internet on to our PC and can print them out from there. Since we've now had six jabs and each has a separate page of Covid pass, that means that there are six pages for each of us to print out. We asked Saga  if they really needed to see all six pages but they didn't know the answer, so we'll bring the lot. I bet they don't even look at them when we are boarding. It was all so much simpler when I was young, and the only technology I had to grapple with was crystal sets with cat's whiskers. Anyone remember those?

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Vivaldi said:

We've just paid the balance on a forthcoming cruise on the SofA and have been told that Covid passes are still required. 

As a separate point, we only have one smart phone between us and it is a lot smarter than we are, so we have no clue about how to use it beyond the very basics. Consequently we downloaded our Covid passes from the internet on to our PC and can print them out from there. Since we've now had six jabs and each has a separate page of Covid pass, that means that there are six pages for each of us to print out. We asked Saga  if they really needed to see all six pages but they didn't know the answer, so we'll bring the lot. I bet they don't even look at them when we are boarding. It was all so much simpler when I was young, and the only technology I had to grapple with was crystal sets with cat's whiskers. Anyone remember those?

Install the NHS app on your phone - you can get it here: https://www.nhs.uk/nhs-app/

Create login id's for yourself and the other person.

When these are created, login and select Get Covid pass

Select Travel

This will bring up a screen with your name, date of birth, a 2d barcode, the expiry date, which vaccine, which dose and date of vaccine.

You may need to scroll the display a little so that all this info is visible. Take a screenshot, which will be saved to your photo gallery (this is on an Android phone - an iPhone may  possibly be different).

Repeat for 2nd person.

Hope this helps (it's not as difficult as it sounds!).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks LondonLad60 - I might give that a try if I can summon up sufficient courage. Saga seem to be happy with paper versions of the passes and I've already printed them out, so might stick to those if I can't overcome my terror of modern technology. It's very good of you to help, and I do appreciate that.

2 hours ago, Vivaldi said:

Logic says that all you really need is the final page which shows how many doses you have had and the details of the most recent one. But logic does not always rule where cruise companies are concerned .........

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Tothesunset said:

You can never have too much paperwork... 

Knowing someone who is clinical level 9 and who carried a cancer card and who also carries a digital message to any medic concerned that they must be given anti-covid medication immediately if they show symptoms of covid.

They welcome the fact that so many folk have the charity and generosity to put up with a little inconvenience at times... to prevent others being isolated, ghettoised and treated like medieval lepers.

Generosity, charity and respect for others is one of the really inspiring things that make us caring, considerate, civilised society where we respect, care and lookout for other who, by no fault of their own, aren't so fortunate as ourselves.

The mark of civilised humanity is to show consideration and respect for others in our society. Indeed... it's a duty enshrined in law. Perhaps that's why some cruise-lines adopt/retain certain policies.

But there again,,, the vast majority of people show consideration for others as a matter of course. 

• Thanks 1

On 5/2/2023 at 12:37 PM, JoJo1947 said:

Discovery departing yesterday and Adventure's next cruise no covid passes required.  However they could be reintroduced 🤔

Have you got confirmation for your source for that? If so, please post your link.

I'm due to sail on SoA in August, and I have been hoping that Saga would remove the need for Covid passes by then.

Our vaccinations protect us from serious illness, but doesn't stop anyone passing on the virus, so as long as I'm up to date with my vaccinations I'm not too bothered about other passengers vaccination status.

I had imagined that Saga had continued longer with the need for Covid passes to reduce the risk of having seriously ill older passengers on their ships.

I'll be making efforts to keep my distance, to keep to well ventilated areas, and wear a mask if I feel it's appropriate - all of that is my choice to do so. The only thing I'd appreciate from other passengers is, if they get symptoms, report it, and isolate if required, and no keep roaming the ship, infecting other passengers  

1 minute ago, Dermotsgirl said:

Have you got confirmation for your source for that? If so, please post your link.

I'm due to sail on SoA in August, and I have been hoping that Saga would remove the need for Covid passes by then.

Our vaccinations protect us from serious illness, but doesn't stop anyone passing on the virus, so as long as I'm up to date with my vaccinations I'm not too bothered about other passengers vaccination status.

I had imagined that Saga had continued longer with the need for Covid passes to reduce the risk of having seriously ill older passengers on their ships.

I'll be making efforts to keep my distance, to keep to well ventilated areas, and wear a mask if I feel it's appropriate - all of that is my choice to do so. The only thing I'd appreciate from other passengers is, if they get symptoms, report it, and isolate if required, and no keep roaming the ship, infecting other passengers.

Yes I have from someone who boarded Discovery last week! Also next cruise neither will Adventure. Whether Saga are experimenting or not and would reintroduce the showing of passes you're guess is as good as mine.However if one has a NHS app Covid vac certs are in it Saga guests are well vaccinated anyway and I'm not going to get wound up by going back in time with masks,distances unless instructed to do so.  We have to move one and as covid is no longer a pandemic if we don't like new procedures don't go 

We boarded Discovery on May 1st having been told we needed the information in their email.   We turned up with the six pages each and were surprised they were not then asked for.  In fact we were not asked for anything other than our names and our passports.

9 minutes ago, david05 said:

So, if I have understood this correctly, everyone should still have their covid pass but you probably won't need to show it before being allowed to board.

Looks that way. 

On 5/13/2023 at 12:44 PM, Medeba said:

We were told to take boarding passes for SoD on 6 May but we were not required to show them. A week into the cruise and no one has asked to see them

That's correct

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/5/2023 at 3:07 PM, Vivaldi said:

Thanks LondonLad60 - I might give that a try if I can summon up sufficient courage. Saga seem to be happy with paper versions of the passes and I've already printed them out, so might stick to those if I can't overcome my terror of modern technology. It's very good of you to help, and I do appreciate that.

I have all our covid passes stored in my Apple wallet on the iPhone. (Only one phone between us.) Android has a similar system.

Easy to access without the need for WiFi.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/13/2023 at 4:44 AM, Medeba said:

We were told to take boarding passes for SoD on 6 May but we were not required to show them. A week into the cruise and no one has asked to see them.

When I boarded SoA on 14 May, I asked whether they wanted to see my Covid vax documentation and was told they are only asking randomly. In other words, you will want to make sure to have it "just in case."

• Like 2