Flying into fort lauderdale with 4 year old. Help!

Awilliam

Ok so I am sure that I am stressing out about nothing but next February we are going to take our 4 year old her first flight and go on a cruise out of fort lauderdale. Anyone that has flown and then made transfers from airport to hotel and hotel to cruise have any tips? Should we bring our own car seat? Or just plan on using shuttles that won't require her to be in a car seat? We are flying in the day before and then will book a hotel. Any tips on hotels that have shuttle services in the area to and from the hotel? Also anyone have any favorite web sites for booking shuttles in advance since I am sure we will need to do that for at least the trip back to the airport post cruise. Or are there shuttles/taxis that we could utilize once we get off the boat that will just be lined up and ready to go? Sorry for lots of questions but I figured I might find some parents on here that have some relevant tips. 

Bring your own car seat/booster seat - the airline will check it for free if you choose not to use it on the flight.  With your own seat - that you know fits and has been properly maintained - you have the flexibility to use any cab, Uber, Lyft or shuttle you want.

I would choose a hotel in the downtown/17th street area of Fort Lauderdale, with lots of nearby dining and shopping options.  Embassy Suites is popular, but there are many others in the vicinity.

Post cruise just grab a taxi - the ride from Port Everglades to FLL takes about 10+ minutes (and the fare shuould be under $20 on the meter).  YOu might tip a little extra to account for the time spent installing and uninstalling the car seat.

Welcome to the boards and have a great cruise! 

One of the nicest hotels that we go to is the Hyatt Place Cruise Port on S.E. 10th st. It is one block off of 17th street and is very close to the port and airport. They have a shuttle that is only $5 per room each way to and from the hotel from the airport. Hotel is modern, clean, free breakfast, friendly staff, and close to many paces to eat within 2 blocks walking distance. They have shuttles to the port for $8 p.p.  We have been to well over 10 hotels in this port and like Hyatt Place the best. Stay away from Embassy Suites on 17th. St. Its run down, huge and busy.

• Like 1

Take a look at inflatable booster seats that meet or exceed federal safety standards for 4 year olds (40 pounds) and older.  We've used one for our now 8 year old granddaughter since she was 4 1/2. 

This is the one she uses:  https://a.co/d/9cClEgL

This one has also been recommended on this board:  https://a.co/d/9ONNNOI

Thanks for the recommendations everyone! Definitely appreciate the input. The booster seat situation is a little more complicated because our daughter has always been in the lower 5% for weight. She recently turned 4 and is about 31 pounds so it has narrowed down our options quite a bit. 

20 hours ago, nhraformula00 said:

One of the nicest hotels that we go to is the Hyatt Place Cruise Port on S.E. 10th st. It is one block off of 17th street and is very close to the port and airport. They have a shuttle that is only $5 per room each way to and from the hotel from the airport. Hotel is modern, clean, free breakfast, friendly staff, and close to many paces to eat within 2 blocks walking distance. They have shuttles to the port for $8 p.p.  We have been to well over 10 hotels in this port and like Hyatt Place the best. Stay away from Embassy Suites on 17th. St. Its run down, huge and busy.

I agree completely and a car seat won't be necessary if using Hyatt Place and their shuttle. Book as a member for a better rate. 

Just to give you another option to think about,  we have cruised out of FFL several times and used Budget Car Rental to rent a car at the airport.  This gives you a little freedom to drive to a restaurant, grocery store, etc. the night before the cruise.  The kids always forget something (its never me I swear!) ;so its nice to be able to get out to a store if you need to.

I take the luggage over to the ship early and drop it off while the family hangs at the hotel.  I then go back and pick up the family.  Budget and a few other car rental agencies have locations right at the gate to the port where you can return the car and they have a shuttle that will drop you at the ship.  If you have pre dropped the big luggage and just have your backpacks and a car seat I have found that it works pretty well.

Have a great cruise!