Opinion - FLL or MIA?

dvan68

The best airfare for a Sunday MIA departure cruise, is to arrive on Friday night into FLL with a noon departure on the Sunday return.  The flight does not get in until 9:40pm.  Which gives us all day on Saturday to relax before departing on Sunday. 

Question 1 - 

Realizing that it is about an hour drive between the Miami port and the FLL airport, has anyone had experience in making a noon flight for the Sunday return home?

Question 2

Any opinions on whether to stay in FLL since we will be arriving so late, or just suck up the drive to MIA and be there already.  Just going back and forth in my mind as to which plan would be less stressful.

Estimating an hour for the trip from Miami Cruise Port to Fort Lauderdale airport with car service gives you a comfortable cushion of time.  But, basic airport TSA lines can be considerable as Sunday morning congests with cruise travelers heading home. Pre-Check / Global Entry will help.   I would be comfortable booking a  12 N departure (plane begins boarding about 11.20, clear TSA around 11, arrive FLL around 10.15, leave cruise port around 9.30).

However, my wife would not be comfortable...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A 9:40 arrival, I would stay at the cheapest and safest place near FLL. We booked Rodeway Inn based on price, proximity to FLL. You can stay near FLL if you want or head to Miami for Saturday. It really comes down to what you want to be around and spend. Las Olas in Fort Lauderdale is probably better than Miami.

We have an early departure out of FLL as well. We will do self assist, passport, Uber, and TSA Precheck. Many, many people make it to the airport well in time for flights before noon. You just have to be open that there is a chance you could miss it. Several a few weeks ago had an 11:30 flight out of FLL, had it changed to the 1:30PM flight, they were at the airport at 9AM watching their original flight go out waiting an extra 2 hours. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As others said, a noon departure is feasible, but dependent on everything running smoothly, including the ship arriving to port on time. If you miss the flight, will you have feasible options? How much more money would a later flight cost?

Arriving in FLL, I would stick with a hotel near FLL.  I think that's too late to have to deal with transportation to Miami.  There are plenty of hotels near FLL that have free shuttle service; book with one of them. We're staying at the Hyatt Place on 18th Ave in Dania Beach. Free shuttle, free breakfast. Do check to make sure the shuttle service runs late at night, though.

Morning of the cruise, there's lots of transportation options to get you to the port from FLL area hotels. It really isn't any more complicated than a Miami area hotel, just a somewhat longer drive.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you want to stay in Miami then book a hotel in Miami. I don't agree that it makes sense to go to a Ft. Lauderdale hotel to then go to a Miami hotel on Saturday. So if you want to stay in the Miami area then go there. At night the ride will be around 30-40 mins max. Port Miami to FLL will also be around the same on a weekend, should not be an hour, but budget for an hour. If you want to stay in Lauderdale then stay in Lauderdale. But pick the hotel you want to stay in for the two nights. Picking an airport hotel for a 9:40 p.m. arrival to then check into another hotel makes no sense. 

I would not let flying into FLL make the decision for you. FLL is not far from Miami. 

12:00 p.m. flight might be a little tight if there is a delay getting off. But if you do a good job getting off early you should be fine.