tips on drinks?

jenniferCP

I really don't like the fact that there is a 15% tax(tip) on every drink purchased. When I go to a bar and order 3 bottled beers for $12 - I give the bartender a $1 tip which it more then enough tip. All they are doing is opening a bottle for you. Is the 15% tax(cause thats what it really is) just a way for the ship charge inflated drink prices. Cause I have a hard time believing those bar tenders actually get the 15% tip since they would be making hundreds of dollars a day and we all know that those hard working ship workers don't make that.

The 15% is pooled into a pot and split for all of the bartenders and the waitstaff. The bartenders/waitstaff are also making next to nothing a day to begin with (remember, this is not the US of A and there is no minimum wage on cruise ships unless it's flagged as a US Ship). Their pay basically IS their tips.

Do the math as well a $6.00 drink x 15% is only $0.90 USD. So you begrudge giving $1.80 instead of $1.00 for 2 drinks?

If you find a bartender that has done an exceptional job for you during your trip give them something extra. Unlike some people we don't do that at the beginning of the trip then expect perfection. We wait and see who will really try to do their best and who will be the very best at their job that they can be....At the end of the cruise though an extra $40-$100 (depending on length of trip) is slipped to each of those people who have truely shown what guest service should be.

I really don't like the fact that there is a 15% tax(tip) on every drink purchased. When I go to a bar and order 3 bottled beers for $12 - I give the bartender a $1 tip which it more then enough tip. All they are doing is opening a bottle for you. Is the 15% tax(cause thats what it really is) just a way for the ship charge inflated drink prices. Cause I have a hard time believing those bar tenders actually get the 15% tip since they would be making hundreds of dollars a day and we all know that those hard working ship workers don't make that.

$100s a day :eek: Not really. They make about $1000 a month draw against their share of the tips. If they fail to serve enough drinks to cover the draw thier contract is not renewed. Not to worry they will never make enough money to book a cruise like you. :D

so if people don't drink enough on the ship, the employees loose their contract. that makes alot of sense.

I have no problem tipping but I do not like being forced to pay 15%.

another place where they force tipping is in restaurants when there is a larger group. and its normally more then 15% and guess what, that service always sucks since they have one server trying to accomodate a table of 12.

so if people don't drink enough on the ship, the employees loose their contract. that makes alot of sense.

another place where they force tipping is in restaurants when there is a larger group. and its normally more then 15% and guess what, that service always sucks since they have one server trying to accomodate a table of 12.

I don't find this to be true at all. Maybe it's the group that sucks? Just something to consider...

When exactly are you cruising on NCL? What ship? What itinerary? Have you cruised before? I ask because that would let us know if you're familiar with how money is handled onboard. It's a cashless society for the most part. Everything is done on your room card. Also, is it that you don't have a problem tipping but you don't want to tip 15%? Is it that you usually tip less and you'd rather do that? Have you researched NCL at all? The tip is added to drinks and the regular tipping is added automatically at the end of every day on all NCL ships (not sure about NCLA ships though.) Have you looked into other lines that don't auto tip? If you're that put off with auto tipping of any kind, it might be better to find a cruise line that doesn't do that. Cruising can be a great vacation for you. It's just a matter of finding the cruise line that best fits your needs.

Have you looked into other lines that don't auto tip? If you're that put off with auto tipping of any kind, it might be better to find a cruise line that doesn't do that.

When it comes to bar drinks (alcohol and soda), don't ALL mainstream lines automatically add a 15% gratuity? That's my understanding, but I could be wrong.

I have been on the Jewel. Great ship. And no I don't tip 15% on over priced drinks at bars on land or like to at sea if I had a choice. I tip 15% minimum at restaurants because they serve you for hour or more. Bartenders serve you for 3 seconds and sometimes a little longer yet expect a 15% tip and get it on cruiseships. That is my point.

Also I eat in large groups a few times a month and no no no, its not the group. It is physically impossible to serve 12 people as well as one person could serve 4-5 people. And yet an automatic increased tip is applied most of the time.

When it comes to bar drinks (alcohol and soda), don't ALL mainstream lines automatically add a 15% gratuity? That's my understanding, but I could be wrong.
I think you're right but I didn't want to say there wasn't a line out there that doesn't because I don't know for sure. It's been that way on every cruise I've been on and on every line. Well, it wasn't that way on the Norway in 1984. Sodas were free then but it's been that way on every cruise I've done since 1999.

No, I am NOT rich! Whatever that is?

I always tip (land or sea) 20%.

DH tips 15%

A constant argument,

Our daughter worked as a waitress during her college years..she relied on those tips!

On land, menus usually state..."15% automatic gratuity for parties over 8".

I assume they have been burned..hence the auto gratuity?

For the first time, we are planning a wedding.

ALL menus add a 15.5% gratuity (per person)...for the reception and cocktail hour.

I assume the waiters in the reception (serving the meals) work much harder than the cocktail hour waiters. Most likely, the same waiters.

Again, remember, the wedding tables can be tables of 8-14 guests.

I also tip at weddings that I attend, if I feel the waiter has gone above and beyond.

We have never sailed NCL when the bar staff or wait staff have not gone "above and beyond".

I tip accordingly and hope DH does not look at the bill;)

Most waitresses/ waiters only earn on average $2.80 per hour. The reason restaurants add gratuity to larger parties is for a few reasons. There are many people that will tip $2 per head. When waiting on a larger party, the server cannot pick up many other tables and have to devote their attention to the larger party so that party's tip is their main earnings for that night. When the bill gets to say $1000 on a large party that should be a $150 - $200 tip and if the party only gives $2 per head the server is left going home with about $10 probably less after they tip out 10% to the bus person and another 10% to the bar.

People that have never worked in that industry have no idea what a server endures with the public and unless they totally suck, they really deserve the tips!

I eat in large groups a few times a month and no no no, its not the group. It is physically impossible to serve 12 people as well as one person could serve 4-5 people. And yet an automatic increased tip is applied most of the time.

I think you made a point here. It is physically impossible for a server to serve a large group as well as they would a small group. Why should the server be penalized because a large group of people choose to eat together. You will find that most of these people on the ship will work their butts off to accomodate you. By your standard of tipping, if you order 60 drinks, 2 at a time over the course of the week. It will cost you approx. 24 dollars over a week. $24.00 split between 100s of servers doesn't go too far.

Last I heard a tip was for good service. Has that changed?
What's the point you're making? Yes, a tip is given in exchange for good service. What are you saying in relation to the discussion? Are you assuming that service will probably be bad and you don't want it auto? Why not think that the service will be very good and it's a convenience to have it already on the bill? Again, not sure what your statement is saying about this discussion.

Also I eat in large groups a few times a month and no no no, its not the group. It is physically impossible to serve 12 people as well as one person could serve 4-5 people. And yet an automatic increased tip is applied most of the time.

jenniferCP

What type of restaurants are you dining at with large groups where you only have one wait person? When there are 8 or more of us, we have the main wait person, another for cocktails and one or two bus people (who help serve the food). The auto tip of 20% makes it easier for us and there are times when service was so outstanding that we added more on top of the 20%. Perhaps we are just dining at different types of restaurants or perhaps it is because you are known to tip 15%.

As for the auto tip on drinks on a cruise ship: I found the service to be exceptional. The crew worked very hard and long to make my cruise the excellent experience it was. There was only one wait person who was "merely" competent (known as acceptable in the real world); the only reason he stood out was the truly outstanding service provided by all others. To begrudge crew what amounts to less than a $1 on a $6 drink seems petty to me.

When you order they give a reciept that has area for a extra tip. Lets say I have a great server should I add more to the reciept or give cash? Also should "large" tip in the beginning and the end or spread it out in small amounts?

Cash is king :) If you add it to the check it may not go in whole to that server. If a bar server as an example does not make their minimum that month non of the extra tips are paid out they go against the shortfall.

I have been on the Jewel. Great ship. And no I don't tip 15% on over priced drinks at bars on land or like to at sea if I had a choice. I tip 15% minimum at restaurants because they serve you for hour or more. Bartenders serve you for 3 seconds and sometimes a little longer yet expect a 15% tip and get it on cruiseships. That is my point.

So if you were to go to a restaurant in say NY would you also lower the tip below 15% because the food is overpriced?

If you think the drinks are overpriced don't buy them. You are getting awfully worked up over a very small amount of money.

Bill

I don't know where I recall reading this, but recently I read that NCL employees are also required to pool their cash tips. Is this correct? It sure doesn't seem fair.

Only if they choose to or if the passenger is removed from the auto tip. It would not be fair for them to keep the cash plus get a full share of the pool that the passenger who gave the cash was not contributing to.

Some teams elect to pool like in the Bistro. It promotes teamwork and everyone making sure every customer is delighted not just thier own table.

Freestyle will not work without the service charge. Nobody is going to carry enough small bills to tip at the point and time of service. Keep in mind you may only see a member of the wait staff one time.

I always find it curious that posters are so concerned about whether their tips are pooled or not. Do these same people get upset when their land-based tips are pooled in restaurants or at bars? My understanding is that pooling occurs quite often on land, except that the policy isn't publicized to their patrons. To me, pooling does exactly what shoreguy pointed out - it engenders teamwork. Peer pressure can be a great motivating force.

Well, you know in advance that dems da rules. So if ya don't like it you have options: 1)not drink, 2)not go to spec. dining rooms 3)not cruise. No one is forcing you to do anything, select what works best for you.

jmo

-Monte

I always find it curious that posters are so concerned about whether their tips are pooled or not. Do these same people get upset when their land-based tips are pooled in restaurants or at bars? My understanding is that pooling occurs quite often on land, except that the policy isn't publicized to their patrons. To me, pooling does exactly what shoreguy pointed out - it engenders teamwork. Peer pressure can be a great motivating force.

That's a good point, but there is a flip side.

When I was in college, I worked as a waitress. I was extremely good at my job, worked hard, was polite and pleasant, and made outstanding tips, usually much better than other servers. I earned every penny of those tips. I would have been really ticked to have to pool my hard-earned tips with some of the others who did the bare minimum and didn't make as much. I didn't mind in the least giving a share to the busboys (buspersons?) and other "support" staff though because that's an entirely different thing. Without their help, I wouldn't have been able to do as good a job.

As always, JMHO.

beachchick

Archived