tips on drinks?

jenniferCP

The OP did exactly what they wanted to do. Get you all riled up and just sit back and watch.

PE<---thought Shoreguy would have seen right through this... :eek:

I did but I was tired of booze and jeans. The new menus are settling in. The kids in the speciality restaurant treads got no rise so it was time for tips again. Things have been to quiet even DrVal enjoyed her cruise.:)

Time for a new ship or a good old disaster cruise. There is hope spring break cruises are coming:D

i still say the main reason that people seem to have a real problem (on these boards) with the tipping thats added on is this....it takes away their decision making on what happens with their own money. most of us are adults and used to making our own decisions and when it gets taken out of our hands,well it can be frustrating for some. now for me when i sit down at a bar and i know im gonna be there for...oh i dunno...lets say 2-5 drinks....i duke the guy a hefty tip right out of the gate and then i know im gonna get good service and he or she knows im not gonna nickel and dime them either. and if the bartender has a few good jokes or a tip on a good place to eat nearby and the service was good then i give some more. these people work hard and deserve tips and live on tips. so i dont think they come to expect it as much as they depend on it. just my 2 cents

If a bar server as an example does not make their minimum that month non of the extra tips are paid out they go against the shortfall.

Wow, I wish I knew this a few weeks ago... Shoreguy once again comes through with the inside scoop!

I worked at a bar for a few brief months a couple years ago, and since then I never tip less than a dollar per drink. So as far as I'm concerned, 15% is being stingy. There's a bar near me that sells 75 cent domestic beers on Fridays - if you tried to tip 15% on that, they would never every serve you again. The bar/wait staff aren't doing any less work whether your drink cost you 75 cents or 6 bucks.

I spent most of my recent Jewel cruise drinking corona, which is $4.50 with a 68 cent autogratuity, bringing the total to $5.18. Since I ordered the same thing every time (to the point where they opened a bottle for me if I was anywhere near the bar in Spinnaker, whether I'd asked for it or not! :p ), I got in the habit of tipping 82 cents extra. I felt as though I was rewarding the excellent service and when I got my bill at the end of the week, it was a nice even number. :D

On my last night, a certain crew member was buying my drinks for me. Out of curiosity, I made a point to see if and how much he was additional-tipping. He tipped a buck extra on top of the 15% for each drink. Of course, he could have been trying to impress me...

BishCruiser

Relax I am sure the bartender in Spinnakers is covering the minium, Some of the servers have a hard time depending on ship, location, and weather. A few rainy weeks and the pool service staff could easily be in shortfall.

I felt bad for Roberto on the Jewel transatlantic. A great bartender but had to open the The Great Outdoors Bar everyday. Not going to sell much beer when it is cloudy, 50 F, and windy. :D

What I usually do since you know by day 2 or so where you will be drinking and your favorite bartender (The one without the shot glass) is hit him/her with $10 cash. If service and consumption remains high I may repeat as needed. I have been told over and over any extra tip is wonderful but cash is great. It does not show up in the paycheck that most send home.

426249784_JewelTARoberto.jpg.12d41b5be27375875eab49e8a71dc29f.jpg

I felt bad for Roberto on the Jewel transatlantic. A great bartender but had to open the The Great Outdoors Bar everyday. Not going to sell much beer when it is cloudy, 50 F, and windy. :D

Don't feel bad Roberto Santos. He is in a very senior position and extremely high on the food chain when it comes to splitting up the tip pool. He told me he is usually the one to take these type of assignments because others don't want it because they HAVE to make certain tip quotas. He is pretty much immune from the standard tipping quotas.

PE

Don't feel bad Roberto Santos. He is in a very senior position and extremely high on the food chain when it comes to splitting up the tip pool. He told me he is usually the one to take these type of assignments because others don't want it because they HAVE to make certain tip quotas. He is pretty much immune from the standard tipping quotas.

PE

That makes sense. But I woud not want to be the server running drinks out there. :D

... Are you assuming that service will probably be bad and you don't want it auto? ...

In many cases that is exactly the problem. It the staff knows their tip is insured, then they have less incentive to work hard to impress the customer. For that reason, and because I want to tip appropriate amounts as I deem them, I don't like automatic tipping.

With that said, almost all of the people I saw working my recent cruise deserved the tip. There was one particular instance where I would have left nothing if possible, but there was nothing I could do about the problem since the tip was out of my control.

In many cases that is exactly the problem. It the staff knows their tip is insured, then they have less incentive to work hard to impress the customer. For that reason, and because I want to tip appropriate amounts as I deem them, I don't like automatic tipping.

With that said, almost all of the people I saw working my recent cruise deserved the tip. There was one particular instance where I would have left nothing if possible, but there was nothing I could do about the problem since the tip was out of my control.

The staff also knows there are thousands of people around the world that would very much like to have their job so, if they don't do it right and start getting complaints, they will be replaced.

They also know that if they do it right they will keep their jobs and those assured tips instead of working where they might get stiffed on tips like they do on other cruise lines.

It the staff knows their tip is insured, then they have less incentive to work hard to impress the customer. For that reason, and because I want to tip appropriate amounts as I deem them, I don't like automatic tipping.

Why do you assume that their tips are ensured? Just because the tips are automatically charged doesn't mean that every server automatically gets a certain share of the pool. And it absolutely doesn't mean that every server gets an equal share of the pool. My understanding is that a specific employee's share of the pool is dependent on many factors: written assessment by passengers (on end-of-cruise questionnaires), performance observed by supervisors, verbal remarks by passengers to supervisors, verbal remarks by peers, and seniority.

In addition, keep in mind that the written passenger assessments are major factors in whether a person gets promoted or receives better assignments. Those are strong incentives for performing well.

I've said it before but I'll say it again - there has been good and bad service both before and after automatic tipping was instituted. In general, I don't believe that automatic tipping is the direct cause of bad service that is encountered. If a particular employee performs poorly, he/she probably would have been a poor performer regardless of the tipping process. JMHO

I think that 15% actually works out cheaper for me than at home. I see the op's point that to give x-amount for simply opening a bottle of beer may not be warranted but I also agree w/ Rumncoke that 15% should at least be tipped. IMO, is 15% adequate for opening a bottle of beer? Yes. But when I ask someone for a Miami Vice, well it's a pain the neck to make compared to opening a bottle of beer so I think they deserve more. But w/ automatic tipping they only get thier 15% (unless one gives more). So for me it actually works out cheaper (couldn't say how much since it's not worth comparing the <$15 over the course of a cruise). When at home I usually tip 20% for good, standard service so going by NCL's 15% I'm ahead (though I do add additional to make it at least 20%).

Off topic but what's up w/ bagel shops & Dunkin Donuts having tip jars on the counter. I am often tempted to ask if 1) I am supposed to tip someone for turning around & throwing donuts in a box & 2) do these counterfolks work for tips? If so my "tip" would be to find another job. I hope theses workers don't have to rely on the 15% - 20% tip they get on a 38 cent donut or $1.50 bagel.

I did but I was tired of booze and jeans. The new menus are settling in. The kids in the speciality restaurant treads got no rise so it was time for tips again. Things have been to quiet even DrVal enjoyed her cruise.:)

Time for a new ship or a good old disaster cruise. There is hope spring break cruises are coming:D

LOL. When I saw DrVal's post, I thought oh boy, here we go!

I agree, things have been quiet around here, but please no disasters or nightmares on my upcoming spring break cruise. I already paid my dues on the "Animal House at Sea" Cruise last year. Plus, I was also part of the "Star missed Glacier Bay, how could NCL do that to me on my trip of a life time blah, blah, blah cruise".

Geez, do you think there's a theme here? People are going be afraid to be on the same cruise as me; twice in one year "nightmare cruises"; what's up with that? Judy, Lisa and others from my roll call, I hope you're not reading this.

Off topic but what's up w/ bagel shops & Dunkin Donuts having tip jars on the counter. I am often tempted to ask if 1) I am supposed to tip someone for turning around & throwing donuts in a box & 2) do these counterfolks work for tips? If so my "tip" would be to find another job. I hope theses workers don't have to rely on the 15% - 20% tip they get on a 38 cent donut or $1.50 bagel.

I feel exactly the same way! There are jars everywhere! I think it is bad behavior on the part of the company who wants to assure their employees that minimum wage is ok because they will get tips from the jar. I also rarely see people tip at these places so it would be totally unfair for them to have to rely on those tips.

I was also part of the "Star missed Glacier Bay, how could NCL do that to me on my trip of a life time blah, blah, blah cruise".

OH MY GAWD! You mean they can actually not go somewhere they said they would go? I'm booked for the Star this Sept and hope that whatever the reason you didn't get into G. Bay has been corrected. How can I find out if we'll go there? Should I email Mr Veitch? What's his phone number? I must find out now if I should cancel! If we don't go there will the cruise be free?

;)

-Monte

OH MY GAWD! You mean they can actually not go somewhere they said they would go? I'm booked for the Star this Sept and hope that whatever the reason you didn't get into G. Bay has been corrected. How can I find out if we'll go there? Should I email Mr Veitch? What's his phone number? I must find out now if I should cancel! If we don't go there will the cruise be free?

;)

-Monte

Well, your cruise won't be free but you can have your auto tips removed from your on-board account and make all the staff suffer because the ship's azipod system broke down. And of course, you can come back here and entertain all of us loyal NCL fans with your nightmare cruise, class action lawsuit posts.

I already paid my dues on the "Animal House at Sea" Cruise last year.

It could be back in 07 with the brand new Pearl doing 5 day / 9 day cruises from Miami. Run and hide from those 5 day cruises during spring break in FL:eek:

It could be back in 07 with the brand new Pearl doing 5 day / 9 day cruises from Miami. Run and hide from those 5 day cruises during spring break in FL:eek:

I thought the same thing when I read that. Trust me, there's no way DH and I will ever get on a 5 day cruise again from Miami during spring break.... never, never, never. Did I say, never. O.K. well maybe if the price is right! The nine day sure sounds great though.

Why do you assume that their tips are ensured? Just because the tips are automatically charged doesn't mean that every server automatically gets a certain share of the pool. ...

I made that assumption because they know that it's being charged. You may be correct that somehow the manager realized how poorly they were performing, but my guess is that he did not. Either way, I paid for bad service. If the tip was not automatic, then I would not have been forced to do so.

What is also interesting is that if you write in an additional tip on the invoice you sign, that money too goes into the pool and not to the server. We just elected to give certain servers that went out of their way an additional thank you.

Hi Monte,

Won't hear any complaints about cruising from me. I've been doing it since I was 19 years old. Have cruised all around the world. Not everywhere of course!

I have no problem with tipping. I know these people don't make a lot of money and if I can help them out - why not? If I can afford to go on a cruise I can afford a measly 15% tip for a hardworking person. I get drink cards and still tip extra. But hey, that's just me.

No cruise is perfect, nothing is perfect. But I've never, ever had a bad time on a cruise. We went on a Spring Break cruise last year with our then 10-yr old and are going on the Dream out of Houston on another on 4/8. We love cruising! Tips and all! We don't stop in Cancun. Big Deal. We'll party on anyway!

Well, your cruise won't be free but you can have your auto tips removed from your on-board account and make all the staff suffer because the ship's azipod system broke down. And of course, you can come back here and entertain all of us loyal NCL fans with your nightmare cruise, class action lawsuit posts.

Gee, I get the feeling you missed the wink at the end of my post.

LOL

-Monte

Hi Monte,

Won't hear any complaints about cruising from me.

I like your attitude mousey! Personally, I don't think I've ever been on a "bad" cruise (or a perfect cruise-I just try to roll with any punches that might come up). My only complaint about cruising is that I didn't start doing it at a younger age.

-Monte

I made that assumption because they know that it's being charged. You may be correct that somehow the manager realized how poorly they were performing, but my guess is that he did not. Either way, I paid for bad service. If the tip was not automatic, then I would not have been forced to do so.

I'm not disputing whether you should feel that it was unfair that you were forced to tip since you received bad service. You have every right to feel anyway you wish. What I am disputing is the assumption that bad service is the direct result of automatic tipping. Too many people (IMO) have the knee-jerk reaction that if they receive bad service, then it must be the fault of the automatic tipping. I don't believe that's true because of the points I made in my earlier post.

Wow a tipping Grinch :)

On every cruise we have been on there have been 1 or 2 special bartenders that we have migrated to because they provide better service that kinda makes you want to come back! These people get extra cash at the end ( I never understood tipping ahead of time either). They have a family to support too!

Those that do not agree with the 15% automatically added tip possibly were never on a cruise where all tips were paid cash at the end. This is definitely better.

Wow a tipping Grinch :)

Those that do not agree with the 15% automatically added tip possibly were never on a cruise where all tips were paid cash at the end. This is definitely better.

In some cases it could be that they just prefer to stiff the help, and this way they can't.

;)

-Monte

Archived