Train from Anchorage to Seward?

barkleysmom

Hi: I just booked NCL Jewel Seward to Vancouver, leaving 9/11/23!  I am very excited!

I want to take the train from Anchorage to Seward because I love trains!  I see that Alaska RR has a train at 645 AM.  But I've also heard that sometimes the cruise line offers a train transfer as well.  When I log into my NCL, I don't see this as an option, and when I called they were unable to help.

Does anyone know if NCL still offers this?  Not sure if it is discontinued, or maybe just discontinued for my cruise since I'm going late in the season, or maybe just not an option yet and will show up later?

2nd question: once I get to the Seward train station, how do people recommend getting to the ship?  Walking with bags?

Any help would be appreciated!  Thank you.

I booked the NcL transfer as 6;45 AM is too dam early for me and with the excursion credit and latitude credit it was cheaper

It should be listed under excursions for Seward 

image.thumb.png.da7651e856181c26413de922ec267d93.png

Edited by njkate
  • Like 2

The Alaska Railroad morning train is an excellent option. The scenery is beautiful, and you get to go through a valley that cars do not traverse. It’s also relaxing and much more comfortable than the bus. Upon arriving in Seward, you can either walk to the cruise terminal or take f

the free school bus town shuttle.

FYI - the train also sells out, so book early!  I'm going 2 weeks before you and according to the Alaska Train site, there are only 5 tickets available for the early train on the day before my cruise, everything is sold out the day of.

I'm still trying to plan, so have a hotel in Seward reserved (those sell out also) and the NCL pre-cruise train booked - just have to decide which I'll be using.

Thanks everyone for your help!  I called NCL this morning that they said there's no train for my cruise because it's late in the season.  So, I booked the Alaska RR at 645 am.  I'm sure it will be worth the early wake up!  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, barkleysmom said:

Lucky!  

Actually, you are the lucky one as you will get to embark early and can either enjoy the extra time on the ship before many others embark or can use the time to explore Seward. Since it looks like you are coming from the Eastern time zone, 6:45am is 10:45am in your time zone unless you plan to come in several days prior to adjust to the time change. You can get some breakfast options (not great but okay) on the train.  It is worth the early wake up.

14 minutes ago, Seas2mountains said:

Actually, you are the lucky one as you will get to embark early and can either enjoy the extra time on the ship before many others embark or can use the time to explore Seward. Since it looks like you are coming from the Eastern time zone, 6:45am is 10:45am in your time zone unless you plan to come in several days prior to adjust to the time change. You can get some breakfast options (not great but okay) on the train.  It is worth the early wake up.

Thanks!  I am really looking forward to it and early wake up should be fine.

I was going to take the NCL train but have decided to fly in super early the day before - flying in from Seattle, arriving at 3:30am.  Taking the train, then booked on an excursion in Seward for the afternoon, will probably do another the next morning before getting on the ship.

16 hours ago, barkleysmom said:

Thanks everyone for your help!  I called NCL this morning that they said there's no train for my cruise because it's late in the season.  So, I booked the Alaska RR at 645 am.  I'm sure it will be worth the early wake up!  

If someone else on your ship was able to book the cruise contracted train, I'd call NCL again to verify. 

Perhaps the agent you spoke with was mistaken.  Definitely worth another call, or 2. 

We travelled down to Seward from Anchorage downtown (not airport) at 6:45am two days before our 5/31 Spirit cruise. We bought the GoldStar dome tickets and it was fantastic! The train arrived at Seward train depot. A short walk to our hotel Harbor 360, and our luggage were transported to the hotel by train/hotel staff, not us 😃. Our hotel room wasn’t ready so we went out and had lunch and visited the Sea Life aquarium which was very good. 

Please somebody correct me if I’m wrong, but I don’t think the NCL chartered trains (that go from Anchorage airport to the ship terminal in Seward) have the GoldStar dome option. 

Edited by bluesea777

19 minutes ago, bluesea777 said:

We travelled down to Seward from Anchorage downtown (not airport) at 6:45am two days before our 5/31 Spirit cruise. We bought the GoldStar dome tickets and it was fantastic! The train arrived at Seward train depot. A short walk to our hotel Harbor 360, and our luggage were transported to the hotel by train/hotel staff, not us 😃

Please somebody correct me if I’m wrong, but I don’t think the NCL chartered trains (that go from Anchorage airport to the ship terminal in Seward) have the GoldStar dome option. 

I believe you are correct and I also do not believe a NCL option is the earlier train.   We wanted both, the earlier train and the GoldStar Dome option so purchased directly with Alaska Railroad.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bluesea777 said:

We travelled down to Seward from Anchorage downtown (not airport) at 6:45am two days before our 5/31 Spirit cruise. We bought the GoldStar dome tickets and it was fantastic! The train arrived at Seward train depot. A short walk to our hotel Harbor 360, and our luggage were transported to the hotel by train/hotel staff, not us 😃. Our hotel room wasn’t ready so we went out and had lunch and visited the Sea Life aquarium which was very good. 

When we took the NCL chartered train from Seward to Anchorage a few years ago there were no dome cars.  As I recall, the consist was four or five coaches and one cafe car.  The coach seats were arranged with half facing forward and half backward, with a table between each pair of seats.  That made it great for families of four or two couples traveling together.  You could pick up something from the cafe car and enjoy your meal or beverage at your seat.  The NCL train only runs between the port terminal and the airport in Anchorage.  Those who want to stay over in Anchorage catch a bus at the airport into town.  The regular ARR train runs between Seward and the Anchorage train station, which is several blocks north of the center of downtown.

19 hours ago, barkleysmom said:

Now that your early train is booked, your next booking should be the Kenai Fjords cruise that departs Seward at 11:30.  I may be the best wildlife and glacier viewing of your entire trip.  You will be back in plenty of time to board the ship.  Major Marine or Kenai Fjords.  Both great companies.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, vacation44 said:

I believe you are correct and I also do not believe a NCL option is the earlier train.   We wanted both, the earlier train and the GoldStar Dome option so purchased directly with Alaska Railroad.

Yes, we also booked it directly with AR. 

42 minutes ago, quack2 said:

Now that your early train is booked, your next booking should be the Kenai Fjords cruise that departs Seward at 11:30.  I may be the best wildlife and glacier viewing of your entire trip.  You will be back in plenty of time to board the ship.  Major Marine or Kenai Fjords.  Both great companies.

Since we arrived in Seward 2 days prior to cruise, we booked and went on the 7.5 hr Kenai fjords and glaciers cruise with Major Marine the day after we arrived in Seward. It was a magnificent excursion!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mapleleaves said:

If someone else on your ship was able to book the cruise contracted train, I'd call NCL again to verify. 

Perhaps the agent you spoke with was mistaken.  Definitely worth another call, or 2. 

I called again today and this agent said the NCL train was running this sail date, but already sold out.

7 minutes ago, barkleysmom said:

I called again today and this agent said the NCL train was running this sail date, but already sold out.

Personally I'd prefer the timing of the regular train to Seward; gives you the afternoon to explore !  And you won't have your luggage to drag around; it's delivered to your cabin regardless of which train you take.

It's about a 10 minute walk to the cruise pier or you may be lucky to catch the free town shuttle bus as it comes by. 

3 hours ago, The Traveling Man said:

The NCL train only runs between the port terminal and the airport in Anchorage.  Those who want to stay over in Anchorage catch a bus at the airport into town.  The regular ARR train runs between Seward and the Anchorage train station, which is several blocks north of the center of downtown.

I booked the NCL train from Seward to Anchorage Hospitality Center.  It sounds like that means transferring to a bus at the airport.  Do you think there would be any problem with just getting off at the airport and not taking the bus?  For example, do they automatically load your luggage on a bus for you?  

Looks like my hotel is just as close to the airport as it is downtown, so it would save me time to just take an Uber from the airport.

2 hours ago, barkleysmom said:

Wow, glad we booked when we did.

It would have been nice to have a few hours in Seward but...a well rested wife makes my life sooooo much better...and safer 🙂

Edited by Brian V

2 hours ago, singleflyer said:

I booked the NCL train from Seward to Anchorage Hospitality Center.  It sounds like that means transferring to a bus at the airport.  Do you think there would be any problem with just getting off at the airport and not taking the bus?  For example, do they automatically load your luggage on a bus for you?  

Looks like my hotel is just as close to the airport as it is downtown, so it would save me time to just take an Uber from the airport.

If you book the trip with your destination at the Hospitality Center instead of the airport, your bags will be delivered to the Hospitality Center in downtown Anchorage.  As I recall, they use trucks, one to take bags to the airport and another to downtown.  It's been several years, so my memory on that point may be a bit shaky.  Whatever method they use to deliver your bags, though, they tag them according to which destination you have chosen.  Since you have selected the Hospitality Center as your destination, if you skip out at the airport and take an Uber to your hotel, you'll still need to pick up your bags at the Hospitality Center.  You may want to change your train reservation to end at the airport.  That way your bags will be available for you at the airport.

• Thanks 1