DS too tall and skinny help!

My DS will be 12 in May. We are cruising in December. This month he out grew the 18S pants I just bought him at Christmas. He is 5'8" has 26" waist and 31" inseam. I can not find him jeans anywhere. His dress pants still barely fit him. When I asks store clerks for help they just laugh at me. I've searched on the internet as well. I'm afraid by the time the cruise comes he will have out grown his dress pants as well. Boys pants are to short and mens pants are to big in the waist by at least 3 inches. Right now I have him living in sweat pants. Anyone with a suggestion??

I'd wait until next November to look for any of his clothes, who knows how much he'll grow by then!

My son was 6'3" by the time he was 13, but he's also got a large build. He's now 6'4" at 17 (I was worried when he was 13 that he'd be over 7 ft. by now :eek: ). I have a hard time finding not only pants, but shirts, as he needs a tall cut.

Lands End does have many sizes available, I've also had good luck with JC Penney. It's kind of funny, because I hadn't shopped at JC Penny for years and now I have to!

If you want him to look good on formal night you might consder buying or renting a tux. My DS is still a little guy, about 4'9", and we bought him a tux from a store that was going out of business. The owner put him in a men's size 32 pants, with the adjustable waist all the way in and an 8 inch hem.

I was thinking with the adjustable waist on the tux pants you might be able to cinch them in to fit him, or the tailor could even take in the back seam to fit.

It might be easier to rent with the customer tailoring, than it would be to buy with him growing so much and so fast.

Good luck and have a great cruise.

J.C. Penny's has the Arizona brand in jeans and docker type pants that have waistband that can be adjusted from the inside. My son wears the 20R and the length is good and he is almost 6'

I was browsing J.C. Penny's mens shop and they now have a brand of "slim cut" shirts and slacks/jackets as well. I don't remember the name of the brand but it sounded European.

DS has the same problem. LandsEnd does do boys slim up to size 20S with custom inseams.

For our cruise last spring, we went to Men's Warehouse for everything. Lots of alterations necessary, but they basted everything so we can have them re-altered as he grows even taller.

It's an unfortunate sign of our time that there is lots of selection in "husky" sizes and minimal selection for slims.

Archived