Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

margaritawoman

Review of Coral Princess 3/4-3/14/06

This was our 5th Princess cruise, second time to the Panama Canal. We stayed pre-cruise at the Embassy Suites in Ft Lauderdale. I highly recommend this hotel. Great location, free shuttle to port, we left our car there charged us $8 per day. The port charges $12 per day. We had no problems getting on board we arrived at the port about 1:00 pm and were on board by 1:15. We had a balcony cabin on Baja, near the back of ship. Cabin steward was great very attentive. We ate all breakfasts & lunches in the Horizion buffet. My DH ate at the grill about 1/2 the days. We thought the food was fine. The dining room food very good but our servers not so good. I really feel the service in the dining rm has suffered over the last few years. We ate in the Bayou Cafe one night in MHO it was not worth the extra $$. It is not anything like food that I have had in New Orleans. We felt the food in the dining room was much better.

The entertainment on the cruise was some of the best we have seen in 15 cruises. Princess production shows great! The other entertainers very good also.

Ocho Rios was the only port we did a Princess tour. We did the White River tubing. This is a wonderful tour the guides made this tour so much fun and enjoyable. They really watched out for everyones safety as well as helping us have a fun time. The river is beautiful try to do this tour.

We did not do a tour in Panama stayed on the ship. In Cayman we shopped and went to Senior Frogs. Costa Rica we walked around Limon and shopped alittle in an open air market. We had been on the rain forest tour when we were there before. In Cozumel we went to Paradise Beach and shopped, it was a nice day. We had a great time and a wonderful cruise. If anyone has questions I will be glad to answer.

Hey Margaritawoman,

Thanks for the info on the Coral. You mentioned a few highlights and a couple of areas you thought had slipped abit since your last Coral cruise.....How would you rate the entire cruise, 1-10 ? We will be on the Coral next Month....2nd time on Coral in two years...CAN'T WAIT ! Thanks again!!

BillyBoat

Thanks for the review. We will be on her for the 2nd time in May doing the repo from FLL to S.F.

Marilyn

margaritawoman: Will be my first time on the Coral in May. I was looking forward to trying the Bayou Cafe. Never been to New Orleans so I would be able to compare the two. Why exactly did you think it was not worth the money?

I would rate the cruise a 9. The main thing I was disappointed with was the Bayou Cafe. This was supposed to be better than the food in the dining rm,you are paying $15 a person for the experience. I realize $15 is not alot of money but the food IMHO was not as good as the dining rm. We were with friends and they felt the same way we did. You would have to judge for yourself. The comment I made about the serivce in the dining rm was due to the fact we have been cruising for 20 years and we have noticed over the last 3-4 years service has declined in some areas.This is not to say it was bad just not the special treatment it used to be. I really feel it is due in part to the fact they now add tipping to the sail & sign cards. We like that we can add tips to the card, but I still feel service in the dining room has suffered. Someone asked if we had anytime dining or traditional. We had traditional late seating it is what we prefer. We have never had anytime dining and would not want too. We love cruising and enjoy Princess very much. We booked another cruise for next year while on board this cruise for a 14 day on the Sea Princess. These small problems would never keep me for cruising (IMHO) it is the best vacation anyone can take.