Hotels in Barcelona

We are a family of three planning to spend an extra day in Barcelona after our cruise with RCI. They are telling us that the three of us can not all stay in the same room at any of their hotels!?!? Has anyone else had this problem, and how did you get around it?:mad:

Thanks,

CW

A lot of hotels who have contracts with either airlines or cruise lines do not offer triple roomms.....normally because the hotels don't have a large number of them and the lines want to have a guarentee of a certain number of rooms allocated to them per night. Your best bet is to book something outside of the cruise line...either with the hotel directly or on any of the numerous web sited out there. As far as the last post of it is the Hotel Continental right on Las Ramblas I've stayed there before and am staying there this summer pre cruise with RCCL in June. It's a cute hotel, yes it has pull out bed under one of the other beds in the room. It's location can't be beat and the owners are really nice. Good luck and have a great trip!!!

You might try checking with the Hotel Colon. This is an older European style hotel perfectly located in the heart of the Gothic Quarter within easy walking distance of many attractions including the Ramblas. Since it is an older hotel, I suspect they have some triples.

Hank

For those of you who have available Starwood Preferred Guest Starpoints, Le Meridien is now accepting reservations. Just reserved 2 nights for 20,000 starpoints for our pre-cruise stay in Barcelona. Now we can save our Euros for the excursions!

We are staying 3 nights pre-cruise with our two teenage daughters in one large room at the Continental Palacete. They are bringing in two extra beds. It may be crowded but we don't plan to be in our room too much. The hotel has some great amenities and a super location. Check it out on www.tripadvisor.com. Keep in mind there are 2 Continental Hotels...this is the Continental Palacete.

KathiB

Thanks for all the ideas and suggestions. Has anyone ever heard of or stayed at the Jazz Hotel? Also, has anyone ever been reimbursed by either the cruise line or the travel agent for transfers to a hotel that's not part of RCCL's package plan because of the problem I explained in the first post?

We stayed at a Citidines in Paris and they have 1-br apartments with a separate bedroom (full bed), and kitchen, dining area and living room (with a pull-out bed) that's very comfortable for a family of 3 - that's all they'll allow. However, I don't know about location in Barcelona - we didn't stay there but I did check out their prices - they weren't great but it is awfully nice to have your own kitchen.

Also, we stayed with 4 of us in two rooms at 120E and 130E/night at the Continental Palacete - the Continental was booked up - it's a little cheaper. It's in a great location with hot and cold food available all day - that includes bottled water and canned soft drinks and beer and wine on tap. We had several meals there and saved a ton of money on food that way.

As for getting the cost of transfers back from the cruiseline, I'd bet you're out of luck. One thing to keep in mind, taxi from the airport to hotel (Palacete) was about 30E for 4 of us. Taxi for hotel to cruise ship was about 25E and taxi from cruise ship to airport was about for a total of about 85E for all transfers. Cruiselines typically charge $30-$50/pp for round-trip transfers just between the airport and the cruise ship. Probably more is added to that when you add the hotel in between. And, they price the hotels outrageously too - $200-$300/night when you look at the per person cost. So, I'd recommend you cancel ALL the cruiseline hotel and transfers and just take taxis. It works out much cheaper and you don't have to wait for a bus to fill or later, arrive at the airport with 40 other people.

Is it the Jazz Hotel....Hotel Capacity:

Total Number of Rooms: 108

Total Number of Floors: 8

Introduction:

The Jazz Hotel is located in the heart of Barcelona, in the area known as Triangulo de Oro close to Paseo de Gracia, Plaza Catalunya and Rambla. All of the bedrooms are contemporary in style with modern furnishings. The hotel has a delightful bar and rooftop pool.

3 Pelai Street

BARCELONA

If so I have heard pretty good reviews of it. I work for British Airways in the Holidays department and have not heard any problems with it. It's a good location, right in the heart of everything.

Thanks for all the ideas and suggestions. Has anyone ever heard of or stayed at the Jazz Hotel? Also, has anyone ever been reimbursed by either the cruise line or the travel agent for transfers to a hotel that's not part of RCCL's package plan because of the problem I explained in the first post?

The Jazz Hotel gets excellent reviews on trip advisor. We are staying at the Hotel 1898 Pre and Post Cruise, it just opened in October and has received good reviews on trip advisor. It is from the same group that developed the Jazz Hotel.

We got a great rate through Venere.com when we booked it in November.

Has anyone heard of the DuQuesa de Cardona hotel in Barcelona? I've got a "not bad" price for a triple room facing the marina. The room size is about 30 sq. m. so shouldn't be too crowded. There are some comments about this hotel on Trip Advisor but not a lot of feedback.

You may want to try an apartment hotel ... all the hotel features but also has the advantages of an apartment (full kitchen, dishes, fridge, dishwasher MORE ROOM, etc.)

We've booked into the "Hispanos Siete Suiza" in May and its semms to have good reviews. They have 2 bedroom , 2 bath apartments (65 sq. meters - 700 sq feet) and a 3 bedroom 2 bat suite (130 sq meters - 1400 sq feet).

The best part is that its a lot cheaper than the cruise line hotel rooms !!!!

We're a family of four and have run into the same problem. We found that if you can book the "Versailles Lounge" at the Continental Palacete you're in tall cotton! It will accomodate four. You have to ask for the extra bed. Here's their web. http://www.hotelcontinental.com/home_palacete.htm

Happy cruising!

we are also a family of 4 staying in barcelona 3 days before and 1 after. had same problem as others. most won't accomadate 4. do you know if they speak english at hotel? to be able to call and ask for extra bed and check rate? any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks

Yes, they speak english and we were able to handle everything over the computer and was able to print out the reservation form. For three days you may want to consider an apartment (we are actually staying three days post-cruise). We went to barcelonarents.com or rentsinbarcelona.com and found really good rates and you are able to see the apartment you will get (they have a great selection). It's not as simple as a hotel reservation (little more involved) but worth it. We are dealing with Eva Marzal and she really seems to be on the ball. Anything else we can help with just let us know!

having looked for days, trying to accomodate 4 in one room, 2 in another and trying many suggested hotels continental palacete etc. we booked with hilton diagonal mar barcelona. we requested 3 in each room rather than 4 and 2. we are also looking for a hotel by the airport with airport shuttle for post night. if anyone has suggestions, i'd appreciate them. i would assume a hilton is a hilton, but if anyone has their personal review that would be great.

As someone mentioned in a previous post, you can look up reviews of the hotel you just booked at tripadvisor.com. That is where I always look before I book anything and so far I have not been disappointed.

I booked The Hotel Jazz for our stay in Barcelona. Many good reviews on that website.

• 3 weeks later...
We are a family of three planning to spend an extra day in Barcelona after our cruise with RCI. They are telling us that the three of us can not all stay in the same room at any of their hotels!?!? Has anyone else had this problem, and how did you get around it?:mad:

Thanks,

CW

We stayed in the torre catalunye in Barcelona and we had three people in our room without any problems. We also booked with Alpharooms. They had great rates and this hotel is absolutely beautiful.

Cruiseinthemed, when we first went to Barcelona in 2000, the reviews of the Hilton were NOT good!!! It was one of the hotels included in your stay on the Orient Lines Crown Odyssey (which is now NCL's Crown). The people who booked there were disappointed in the location (it is about a 10 minute cab ride to Las Ramblas). The room size was also an issue. There are so many great hotels, it might pay for you to do a bit more research. My parents were with us for a pre cruise stay at the Apsis Atrium Palace and my dad to this day says it was a highlight of his trip and he was amazed at the rate I got. We had three in our lovely room there. You even got tooth brushes and razors in the bathroom!

If you're stuck with the Hilton, not to worry...but if you can change it, you might try.

we did change, several weeks ago. we chose the spa senator in barcelona. it is a 4* a lot less, a spa, and accomodates 4. it is a little way from las ramblas, but we will just have to cab it. it is right by the football stadium, if you know where that is.

Cruiseinthemed, when we first went to Barcelona in 2000, the reviews of the Hilton were NOT good!!! It was one of the hotels included in your stay on the Orient Lines Crown Odyssey (which is now NCL's Crown). The people who booked there were disappointed in the location (it is about a 10 minute cab ride to Las Ramblas). The room size was also an issue. There are so many great hotels, it might pay for you to do a bit more research. My parents were with us for a pre cruise stay at the Apsis Atrium Palace and my dad to this day says it was a highlight of his trip and he was amazed at the rate I got. We had three in our lovely room there. You even got tooth brushes and razors in the bathroom!

If you're stuck with the Hilton, not to worry...but if you can change it, you might try.

Archived