Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Thomas7

Just Off the Mediterranea!

We just got back from a long travelling day. We flew in from Canada and were booked through Sunquest/Skyservice. I don't think I would want to fly Skyservice again. The seats were very tight.

As for the cruise, I would say it was a good overall experience. However, there were some parts of it that were frustrating. Here are some of my pet peeves:

-The opening/closing times of the buffet are very confusing. The buffet is spread out into different parts and sections, and while you're eating, they usually close one or more sections of it, so when you go back to get more food, it may be closed, so you think the buffet is over, but it's not - they just keep certain sections of it open at different times

-Getting on and off of the ship is sometimes a hassle since you have to carry your ID (passport) and your cruise card with you. Also, finding your way to get off the ship on Deck 1 is confusing. You have to walk through hallways of passenger cabins to get off the ship

-The ship layout/design is a bit confusing. As mentioned above, there are a lot of hidden areas you may not be aware of. For example, the art auctions take place at the very front of the ship, however, to get there, you must walk through a hallway of passenger cabins.

-the mattresses were very thin and uncomfortable, but I was already aware of this from reading these boards, so when I did get on the ship at around 3:00pm I asked the cabin steward for extra mattresses or pillow tops right away, and he just kind of looked at me funny and said, "ok, I will check", and he never mentioned it again. So needless to say, I am glad to be home and sleeping in my bed

Although these were some negative points, there were also enjoyable parts of this cruise. If anyone has any questions, please feel free to ask.

THomas

what type of cruise was it? eastern or western carib or another?

how long were you on the ship, 1 or 2 weeks?

This cruise was eastern caribbean for one week, and yes, you still needed to bring your passports off the ship with you each time. Costa does not take your picture for your cruise card when you board like other cruise lines do

I thought the food selection/variety was very good. The cruise staff/director were very funny and entertaining. The buffet restaurant usually offered the same menu that the fine dining restaurant did.

This cruise was eastern caribbean for one week, and yes, you still needed to bring your passports off the ship with you each time. Costa does not take your picture for your cruise card when you board like other cruise lines do

I thought the food selection/variety was very good. The cruise staff/director were very funny and entertaining. The buffet restaurant usually offered the same menu that the fine dining restaurant did.

Will a driver's license not work? Costa's site says that will be fine. I don't have a passport and I leave Sunday.

If you are an American citizen you do not have to carry your passport when in port in the Caribbean....your ship card and a photo ID is all that is necessary, and all ships have that requirement. Loved the buffet and had no problems with it

Well we just spent 2 weeks 3/5-3/19 of this ship with our Canadian friends & we ALL only took our costa cards & drivers license on & off the ship--now to get off at the end or to come on at the beginning YES we also showed our passports--now those Americans only need their birth cert. this year instead of passports. Now we DID have to disembark between cruises (everyone off the ship) so we DID have to bring our passports & we went on a Jungle Queen excursion--it was FUN.:D :cool:

Kehl...When you did back to backs, was the entertainment the same or did the shows change?

Children need birth certificates or passports when you get back on the ship after an excursion. Drivers license was fine for adults.

Kehl...When you did back to backs, was the entertainment the same or did the shows change?

Children need birth certificates or passports when you get back on the ship after an excursion. Drivers license was fine for adults.

Sorry I just saw this to me...our back to back was March 5 & March 12th--the 12th we had 350-400 kids--although it never seemd there were that many on board--excpet to see them in the pools & hot tubs & find the ice cream...:D --I was always able to get ice cream but may have had to hunt for one open. We had no children so didn't pay attention to that part, sorry about that. The entertainment was the same mostly..for the main shows--although anything that had anyone from the guests would be different--but the questions were pretty much the same..we just never went to many shows the first week. Sure loved the light show tho. Seems they added a new song to one of their shows on the 80's from the first week to the 2nd..we thought perhaps they had been practicing it & were ready to now add it.