Will NEVER use HAL again!!

mheal

I was on the Zuiderdam during a cruise March 4 through the 11th. My husband and I had a wonderful time - except at the end. We purchased 4 bottles of liquor on board and unfortunately, did not leave with them. When the box was delivered to our stateroom we put it out with our other luggage to be taken to the pier. When we arrived at the pier we saw lots of other boxes of liquor - but not ours. I spoke to a supervisor who said they do not make claims for liquor, but I insisted on the claim being written up. Reluctantly, she wrote up the claim as a "courtesy". She said we are supposed to carry the liquor off the ship ourselves and that we should have been told that in the disembarkement meeting. Well, I attended this meeting as well as many others on the ship. This was not mentioned to us. (As I said earlier there were many other boxes of liquor on the pier waiting for pick-up - if this was mentioned about 100 other people did not hear it either.) When I called HAL I was told they will not be responsible because I cannot prove it was placed outside our stateroom. Well, how many of you take pictures of your baggage placed outside your stateroom? I must not have heard that in the disembarkment meeting either. This liquor was purchased on the ship for $60 and HAL refuses to accept responsiblity or even credit me the $60. It is now a matter of principle and not the fact that I did not receive my baggage. You would think that when you spend over $4,000 on the cruise and then another $800 on board - they would put customer service first and refund the difference. Obviously, HAL is not the top notch line I was lead to believe they are. Based on this experience, I will NEVER use HAL again. They lost a customer, and as many potential customers I can tell about this, over $60. Sorry HAL but you are not the best. Stand behind your customers please - satisfaction is not your goal.

.........................................................................................

SIMPLE SOLUTION: HAL COULD PRINT THESE WORDS ON A 5"X7" OF ADHESIVE, BRIGHT, FLUORESCENT PAPER: PLEASE KEEP ALL ALCOHOL IN YOUR ROOM OVERNIGHT, AND CARRY IT OFF THE SHIP AT DISEMBARKATION! We have all kinds of Luggage Tags to get "on and off" the ship, so why not one more for our Precious Booze?

I just have to chuckle. So many posters on this thread start with "I'm sorry about your loss". If someone started reading with out reading the original post they'd think someone died, not that 60 bucks worth of liquor was lost! LOL!! Really, I know it must have been frustrating and disappointing, but geez, put it into perspective won't you? You just took a cruise, you even said you had a wonderful time. Why ruin your good feeling with so much anger about this? And blaming HAL is just silly. There were 2000 passengers on that ship! How can HAL be responsible for the integrity of each of them!? This might be out of line.. but you could afford a cruise (okay, even if you scrimped and saved and sold your mother-in-law to take this cruise) so you can probably just pop into a liquor store when you get home, and go on with your life! Why draw out the disappointment by harping on it and posting about it and making it your reason never to sail with HAL! I'd like to hear more about what you said in your opening line (not your title) - the part where you said you had a wonderful time!! Let THAT be your story!! :)

Moriah

I just have to chuckle. Really, I know it must have been frustrating and disappointing, but geez, put it into perspective won't you? You just took a cruise, you even said you had a wonderful time. Why ruin your good feeling with so much anger about this?:)

Moriah

It has already been mentioned above, but I'll try to emphasize the point for anyone else thinking of replying to the OP.

This thread is from MARCH 2006. 2 - 0 - 0 - 6. The OP has not posted another message in 2 1/2 years and is long gone. Ergo, it is pointless to address a response to the OP. Of course, feel free to comment on the thread in general, but it is just silly to address a reply to someone who won't see it.

:confused:

This seems to be a "recurring problem"! How about a HAL employee in the Liquor Store STICKING a 5"x7" sheet of paper in a BRIGHT, Fluorescent Orange On Each Box:

"PLEASE KEEP ME IN YOUR CABIN OVERNIGHT,

AND CARRY ME OFF THE SHIP

WHEN YOU DISEMBARK IN THE MORNING"!:D

;)End of problem!;)

If folks knew that they would have to lug the box every where with them, they probably would not buy the liquor.

And yep since this was in 2006 before the liquor as a carryon was a no no, we are wasting our time and steam. It has to be checked now so sooner or later it goes into checked luggage with mostly fees attached. I bet that too is hurting the sale of the liquor.

I am not trying to be contrary or to minimize what MAY have happened, but has anyone (other than myself) considered that the OP was a troll and the posting was just meant to start a flame war? It does seem to have backfired as not many people have taken the side of the OP.

If, indeed, it happened as the OP stated, then they have no-one to blame but themselves and not to expect any type of compensation from HAL. That sounds harsh, but it is an economic fact that the cruise lines/ airlines/ hotels would go broke (or more broke) if they compensated for this type of incident every time.

I agree....Something Smells In Denmark..... The orginal tread just does not holded water....I think that we all have been Duped!:eek: It reminds of an earlier post/thread last week entitled...."So Sad...Our flights were Cancelled" and that one really got the ball rolling, just like this one....now it is no longer up for veiwing on the board....as I can tell. If we all think about it....it does seem very strange...I have to agree with aaerobear ......SOMETHING IS VERY FISHY...;)

I'm a fairly new Cruiser and I would never be so DIM as to leave my booze out in the passageway with my luggage to tempt someone to nick (BOOZE) that is. You might as well put a sign on it saying..."PLEASE STEAL THIS, THANK YOU"!!!!! :eek: All it takes is a little Common Sense....but I'm afraid that ability has gone by the way of the Dinosaurs. JMHO!

Cheers!!!

It has already been mentioned above, but I'll try to emphasize the point for anyone else thinking of replying to the OP.

This thread is from MARCH 2006. 2 - 0 - 0 - 6. The OP has not posted another message in 2 1/2 years and is long gone. Ergo, it is pointless to address a response to the OP. Of course, feel free to comment on the thread in general, but it is just silly to address a reply to someone who won't see it.

THAT IS WHAT I THOUGHT FROM THE VERY BEGINNING>>>SOMETHING STANK HERE WITH THE ORGINAL THREAD!!!!!!:mad:

THE ORGINAL TREAD WAS AND IS BOGUS......IT'S AN ACIENT TREAD!!! OLD!!!!! YEARS OLD!!!! THE PERSON OR PERSONS THAT POSTED IT ARE MAKING FOOLS OUT OF US!!!!!! :mad: I'M SURE THEY ARE LAUGHING AT THE WHOLE THING THAT THEY STARTED!!!!! :mad:

Why are you shouting?:( And why are you so angry?:mad:

Please don't jump to conclusions...This thread is almost three years old...In the past 15 years & on many cruises we've seen people put their liquor out for pickup on numerous occassions...It's not a smart move, but some people really don't think..

FYI..It's against Cruise Critic guidelines to call original posts bogus.. As a fairly new cruiser & poster you might want to review these guidelines.. http://www.cruisecritic.com/community/guide.cfm#top

Cheers..Betty

THE ORGINAL TREAD WAS AND IS BOGUS......IT'S AN ACIENT TREAD!!! OLD!!!!! YEARS OLD!!!! THE PERSON OR PERSONS THAT POSTED IT ARE MAKING FOOLS OUT OF US!!!!!! :mad: I'M SURE THEY ARE LAUGHING AT THE WHOLE THING THAT THEY STARTED!!!!! :mad:

I'm not the OP, or the Zombie-master from Post #347, but I'm laughing now. ;) :D

I think anyone who puts their licquor out with the luggage is not too wise. It is just too big a temptation for someone to "borrow it" and who would be courageous enough to return the bottle empty? Recently I was on the Zaandam and in the disembarkation talk the CD advised against it. It is just too easy to steal.

Why are you shouting?:( And why are you so angry?:mad:

Please don't jump to conclusions...This thread is almost three years old...In the past 15 years & on many cruises we've seen people put their liquor out for pickup on numerous occassions...It's not a smart move, but some people really don't think..

FYI..It's against Cruise Critic guidelines to call original posts bogus.. As a fairly new cruiser & poster you might want to review these guidelines.. http://www.cruisecritic.com/community/guide.cfm#top

Cheers..Betty

Hello Betty,

Sorry if you thought I was mad in this post....I only typed LARGE because I could not find my glasses to see the fine type print.....I also don't undersand what I said that was so upsetting? I had also read the guidelines....I was referring about poster #347 and what it stated. I'm sincerely sorry that I upset you and I apolgize.:) Oh, well....:o

I'm not the OP, or the Zombie-master from Post #347, but I'm laughing now. ;) :D

So does this mean that we're all writing to AIR? :confused::D But everyone has made very good points about not leaving Booze or any valuables outside your stateroom door that you don't want to be pinched...;)

Archived