Star Princess going or not?

flyguy404

I just called them and got nowhere, too. I am getting very frustrated. :mad:

Its sooooooooo obvious that it will be no fun to be on that ship in less than 10 days. What do they expect? Make repairs in a week or while the ship sails (imagine the noise, dirt, etc...). - pathetic. Even the biggest idiot can see that there was quite a bit of damage done (just look at the missing balconies!). As and engineer, I am also worried about substantial structural damage to the ship due to the heat from the fire.

All I want is my money back for the cruise leaving on 4/2, so I can book something else and enjoy my first vacation in a year, but they refuse to help me.

Yeah, well that is not right, even if they Are positive they can get it done and ready to go, they should still give you the option for making other arrangements in light of the fire. Even if they get it fixed and structurally sound, I would have a hard time believing they will completely have a handle on the smell of smoke. Even with Chemicals, Smoke smells tend to remain fairly strong for some time, fading only with time. And for me, even if everything else looked nice, if you could still smell burnt plastic and heavy smoke, it just wouldn't be the most relaxing vacation. Not for me anyway.

They should absolutely give everyone the choice to get money back and make other arrangements.

I also just contacted Princess and they assure me the 04/02 sailing will occur. If indeed they are aware the ship will not sail on this date it is cruel and unprofessional to not allow us the weekend to make other arrangements. I understand their delimma but it is situations like this that can either build or destroy customer loyality. Having worked for an airline for 17 years I understand how travel disruptions occur, albeit primarily on a smaller scale. Just let us know Princess and we will all deal with it. We are all adults here. The stalling tactics dont sit well in the age of the internet and instant information...and occasional misinformation.

Cheers:)

There is no way that the 4/2 sailing will take place,no way. There are areas of the ship that aren't stable. The ship smells horrible. The black soot that we dragged on our clothes and feet after being in our burned cabin trashed carpets throughout the ship. 150 cabins are gone, gone.

A crew member told us they were all being sent home, that's it.

See, this is all I want, too. I don't want any compensation etc., I just want to be released from the contract. Thats it.

I am glad to hear you are ok. I take it from your post you were on the ship. You seem to be echoing what many of us suspect. Any aditional thoughts?

After seeing the photos, I can't imagine the ship sailing for quite some time. Cosmetic issues aside, I'm not sure the ship would be considered habitable with all those melted balconies, and I'm sure there is a smokey smell throughout the ship.

Now having said that, I would be totally bummed if I were booked on one of the upcoming sailings. But I think the reason Princess is not releasing complete information right now is that they are probably trying to figure out what type of compensation would be appropriate and for how many sailings into the future do they offer it. Let's say they cancel cruises for the next 8 sailings. Do the people 8 sailings from now get the same exact compensation as someone who was due to sail this coming weekend? Those are probably the nitty gritty issues they have to settle on before they can make a public announcement. Once they make an announcement, there is no going back. And I'm guessing they have to go through insurance companies for compensation issues as well as awaiting assessments by whoever clears ships to be okay to sail (like when you get a Certificate of Occupancy for a house).

I don't want compensation... I just want a refund so I can move on... I don't blame them for this accident but I will blame them if they continue to blow me off and completely ruin my vacation. I don't expect compensation for an accident that happened a month before my cruise.

Is it just me... or are half the people on here idiots?

Half is very generous cruisingmen!! Most of the posts to this thread seem somewhat reasonable but some of the others are suspect at best. If this hulk sails (Char princess that is) I would love to buy you a drink!!

Here's a thought, y'all. Maybe Princess is trying to figure out if they have room aboard other Princess ships sailing on that same date, so they can slot you in in one of those and perhaps, not have to "eat" your booking and give you your dough back. Just pure speculation on my part, so let's not get carried away here.:)

We have sailed on Princess twice--on Star and on Diamond--both times to the Mexican Riviera and when the ships were brand new. We enjoyed them both and Princess treated us very well. In fact we're thinking about doing Hawaii and Tahiti on them in 2007.

Judging by the photos, Star is going to have to go to the shipyards before she sails again. Those balconies are really hurtin'! And if you've ever been around a house that burned, the smell of smoke doesn't just blow away. I feel sorry for all those aboard who lost all their belongings.

BTW, despite stong denials by some posters and by some cruise news web sites, I'm goin' with the smoldering cigarette theory. I've watched smokers below and around us flailing that thang around and if they are as careless as their land-bound counterparts who fling things from cars, I can see how easily this could happen on a ship. Sailing at 20 knots, with the wind whipping, a butt landing on a deck chair could easily turn into a major conflagration. I don't buy the electrical malfunction theory. All circuits are protected by breakers, so they cut off the flow of current the second something goes awry (like a short). Furthermore, most of the new ships have monitoring systems that can detect problems pretty quickly.

Hope you get to cruise somewhere soon.

Half is very generous cruisingmen!! Most of the posts to this thread seem somewhat reasonable but some of the others are suspect at best. If this hulk sails (Char princess that is) I would love to buy you a drink!!

Same here! Lets keep in touch, and if this thing sails we'll definitely be at the bar! We'll just need to coordinate!

Yes there is a lot of damage,yes not all parts maybe availabe. In 28 days these shipyards can cut a ship in half add a section ,put back together. While this is going on, the entire ship is being refurbished. It takes a while to inspect the damage and know which repair facility is best. It could be the Bahamas or it could be Italy. I think Tuesday is a reasonable time for Princess to know how long the ship will be out of service. Remember also that most of their efforts to this point have been on getting 2600 passengers home. Not an easy task. They cannot move the ship to FLL yet because all the docks are being used. It most likely will be there on Monday.

Star was scheduled to be in Fort Lauderdale on Sunday, so there is an open berth..but more then likely it doesnt wish to sail into a mjaor cruise port with all the traffic there will be for cruisers trying to board their respective cruises AND the curious ones that might venture down there to try to glimpse the ship. Then again it might not even go to FLL, who knows

Marlene

Yes there is a lot of damage,yes not all parts maybe availabe. In 28 days these shipyards can cut a ship in half add a section ,put back together. While this is going on, the entire ship is being refurbished. It takes a while to inspect the damage and know which repair facility is best. It could be the Bahamas or it could be Italy. I think Tuesday is a reasonable time for Princess to know how long the ship will be out of service. Remember also that most of their efforts to this point have been on getting 2600 passengers home. Not an easy task. They cannot move the ship to FLL yet because all the docks are being used. It most likely will be there on Monday.

The staff is being released and sent home. The interior damage is more than you think. Areas on deck 14 are unstable and suffered damage. You are all forgetting that it will take a while for them to determine the amount of damage and go through anyone's belongings. The cabins areas that are left are a mess. Door locks melted, carpets are ruined throughout the one side of the ship from people dragging charred belongings in plastic bags dripping foul

water and covered in soot around the ship. I really don't think that the pictures do justice as they were taken from a distance away. AFter walking in our room in about a foot of black water I then had to walk our and whatever was on my feet and legs then went down the stairs. The ship smells horrible and I don't think that's going to leave. It took many showers to get the smell out of my hair.

I am supposed to be on the sailing that leaves tomorrow! Princess notified me by e-mail on Thursday evening at 7:30 pm. I normally would not have looked at my e-mail but I already knew what was going on. My DSIL said he heard about it at 9 am thursday morning. There was still time to book something else. I found out at 4:30 when I got home from work. We did get a room on rccl but it was the last one and I was on the phone for 5 hours trying to get something. Keep pestering princess and have other cruise numbers available. don't go thru the internet it wastes too much time. Have someone else call another line on a cell phone. Be persistant. Even if they say they are all booked up try back a few hours later. Some people will put rooms on hold and keep trying for something better. When that room is released hope that you are first in line to get it. Good luck and hang in there. Princess came thru with all expenses returned. It will work out.

Its at these times if you booked with a Travel Agent its a little less stressful because they are there to help you you are not alone. A good Travel Agent is always doing the in between dirty work when things like this happend or hotels do bumpings its part of the job...

I just wanted to throw a thought out. I am not sure if the 4/2 passengers have been released yet but another option for you to not loose your vacation is to get on a miami ship even if you fly to ft. laud. We are on the NCL Jewel on the same day. I don't know if they have cabins but we got ours thru vacations to go but I think I would call NCL directly. Their phone number should be on their web site. I would think Princess would be working like crazy to get you all on any ship so they don't have to loose any more money than they have to. Good Luck Also there is a high speed rail that goes from the ft. laud. airport to the miami airport in 30 min. and then just hop a 20 min. cab to the port.

Even if one's cruise is insured, it's risky business to book another cruise until one is officially notified by Princess that one is released. As unlikely as it sounds that the 4/2 sailing will go, there is an outside chance that it will. If it does, and one took another cruise, one will not see a refund from Princess nor get reimbursed by travel insurance.

I would imagine that Princess would rather offer to put as many passengers as possible on their other sailings before they release everyone carte blanche. Of course, easier said than done to notify thousands of people at once.

I think that it would be appropriate of Princess to allow its customer service reps to authorize full refund without additional compensation to anyone who phones in and wants to switch to another vacation option, at least for the next one or two weeks.

For those of us who have booked airfare, and who vacation once a year, please let us make alternative options without worrying that we won't get our refund. Let us be responsible for our own vacation choices!!! This is a very unusual situation, not a normal "oh I changed my mind". Its spring break / Easter - there aren't many choices left!! Many of us have tied up a year's worth of savings on this cruise and need the cash back before we can book elsewhere.

From what I read here, that is not occurring.

From what I read here, Princess is sticking to its refund policy for the April 2 sailing, instead of saying, "yep - whatever you want - we appreciate your need to book an alternate vacation given that you have flights etc booked and don't want to lose any more money - here is your refund, your cabin is given up - don't try to come back if we decide to sail!! No we have not decided if we are sailing or not, and it'll take us awhile to decide that - but if you want a full refund, here it is. We will decide other compensation later too, after all, we have all our customers on the database and can always send you compensation later once we decide"

Come on. There is NO reason why Princess can't do this. Just authorize refunds for the next sailing or two for those who don't want to wait. Why not? Especially for those in the 150 cabins where it is clearly obvious !!! We have our tickets - we know our cabin numbers.

We are booked for April 16 and would love to have the option to make a decision otherwise, but our money is tied up. But given its 3 weeks away, we can wait a bit longer. (our cabin is ok) For those on April 2, why not let them get out? Its the weekend now, and most working folk can't take all of Monday or Tuesday off work, after the next press release, to book something else. They could however, use the weekend to do so.

Seems like a reasonable option to me. But thats just my opinion.

If it were not so tragic for so many people this thing would really be a bad comedy. I called Princess again this morning to see if they had come to their senses and was repeatedly assured the 04/02 sailing was still a go and that the Star was enroute back to FLL. All this babble while I am watching live shots from the bridge cam with the ship still docked in Jamaica!!! FYI to Princess...if you insist on lying to us..at least make the lies plausaible.

You are so right Jayne. I would rather not sail on a ship in that condition right now. But all I really want is to be released from the 04/02 sailing. No discounts etc. just give me my money back and I will be happy.

Good Luck All!!;)

That being said would you not think that for those scheduled on the char princess in 10 days would at least be given the opportunity to cancel that sailing due to obvious circumstances? Honesty and credability are always the best way to deal with people..this instance is no different.

Cute, flyguy. I caught that name change. It reminds me of the time we renamed our captain "Crash Nash" after he crashed into the pier in Victoria. Keep your sense of humor even if it is hard to do right now.

Just curious as to whether or not one of the Carnival ships used to house evacuees from Katrina are available? I understand they have left New Orleans. That would make everyone happy and I am sure none of us would mind the substitution...LOL:D

P.S.

Just trying to add some levity to the situation:)

Just curious as to whether or not one of the Carnival ships used to house evacuees from Katrina are available? I understand they have left New Orleans. That would make everyone happy and I am sure none of us would mind the substitution...LOL:D

There's nothing quite like sailing on a Carnival evacuee ship.

"The Sensation was "detained due to deficiencies in their fire-safety systems, specifically some of their fire screen doors, fire station valves - which are like a fire hydrant - and watertight doors," Nash said. "

http://www.floridatoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060323/BREAKINGNEWS/60323008

Archived