Kusadasi, Turkey

We are sailing RCCL in a couple of months with a stop in Kusadasi. We would like to see both Ancient Ephesus and the Temple of Artemis, but none of the excusions offered by RCCL include both. Could anyone reccommend which one to see if we had to make a choice between the two. Thanks!

CW

i am a bit confused by the OP. The Temple of Artemis is part of Ephesus (these ruins are quite extensive).

Hank

My question would be the same to the Op... the Temple is part of Ephesus so you should be able to see both,and hopefully be able to spend time there and not just a quick run through.Be sure to take water with you as it does get very hot.Enjoy your trip.

Hank,

I'm just going by the description of the excursions. The Temple of Artemis is never mentioned in the Ancient Ephesus trip, and vice versa. I just assumed they were in different locations. BTW, my dad grew up in New Cumberland. (Market Street) I live in Lancaster County.

CW

The temple of Artemis or what is left of it is only a few miles from Ephesus. When we did an Ephesus tour in 2003 with Princess the tour included Ephesus, Mary's House and shine and St John's Bascilica. The remains of the temple of Artemis or as it sometimes known the temple of Diana could be seen from the Basilica site but there are only a couple of columns still standing. Everything else was destroyed many years ago. Some of the columns from the temple are actually part of San Sofia in Istanbul.

The ruins of Ephesus are much much more interesting and extensive. The theater and library are a couple of the highlights there.

As mentioned above you probably can get a private tour that will take you to both sites but I suspect you will spend a lot more time at Ephesus than at the Temple.

Here is a link to a site with a picture of the remains of the temple.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temple_of_Artemis

and here's another.

http://www.turkeytravelplanner.com/WhereToGo/Aegean/Ephesus/Artemision.html

Have a great next cruise.

Archived