2 1/2 Hour Power Failure on Liberty 3/22

mfs2k

no doubt, because you had a balcony? i've sailed through the canal before. it is awesome. i would be disappointed, too.

I believe that if you carefully read what auntpam said it was that she missed her excursion in Panama to see the canal, not that they did not sail where they were supposed to sail. Big difference IMHO to miss an excursion (Panama Canal Ferry boat tour) as opposed to sailing through the canal.

We went out to the Lobby, and out on the outside promenade area. There were people in the main lounge. The first thing we noticed was the ship was not moving. We couldn'f feel the vibrations of the engines. That was eerie.

That also made me a bit more nervous. It wasnt just the lights, but the propulsion too...

Maybe the ship had to stop moving due to the repairs they were making. It's possible that more systems had to be shut down in order to fix what was wrong. It's hard to repair the engine of a car when some one's driving it down the street.

Anyway it's just a thought.

I agree.... That was probably the case...., although, they said it was more like a circuit breaker that tripped. Not engine failure.

We were bothered however, that in all the announcements, they only addressed that the electric was out, never the fact that the ship was not moving. As I said before, we were concerned more about what they were NOT telling us. In hindsight, our concern was unnecessary, but we didn't know that at the time.

I agree.... That was probably the case.... We were bothered however, that in all the announcements, they only addressed that the electric was out, never the fact that the ship was not moving. As I said before, we were concerned more about what they were NOT telling us. In hindsight, our concern was unnecessary, but we didn't know that at the time.

Everytime the power has gone out on a cruise I was on... the ship immediately stopped... it got very quiet... I've never really thought about it... but the ship definitely stopped. I guess I always thought they were run by computers (isn't everything these days??? :p) ... but I truly know ZERO about ships, which is why I never speculated :D

22km? puleeze. 13-14 miles per hour?

I meant to write we were travelling at 22 "knots" per hour on the way back to FLL, not 22 km per hour.

Similar mistake on our way to Panama... We were traveling at 10 knots for several hours after the power was restored, not 10 km/hour...

<I think I need to retake my boating course... Stupid mistake for a boater to make.>

Well, one thing's for sure...if the lights go out & the ship stops, this lil chubby chicky & her decorative bright orange life vest with the lights & whistles attatched securely strapped to said chubby lil body will be the first one at her muster station!!!:eek:

If the ship wasn't moving, why would you need an announcement to tell you that? :confused:

It is also possible, it is SOP to stop the ship during a power failure, because some of the Navigation systems may be out.

Right or wrong, there was a feeling by the people in my group, that they didnt want to address the fact that the ship stopped. That they were hoping few would notice.....

Right or wrong, there was a feeling by the people in my group, that they didnt want to address the fact that the ship stopped. That they were hoping few would notice.....

LOL, well at least an announcement of why the ship was stopped.

Funny how a little noise and vibration goes from being annoying to quite soothing and comforting in a situation like that. I sure do appreciate the low roar you hear on a jet when your flying at 20,000 feet. I believe I'd have to be in line for a full refund if it stopped and the pilot didn't tell us, hoping no one would notice.

A few years ago we had a similar experience on the Destiny. except the power was out for 8 hours (and it was during the day)!!! It is kind of scary when you hear that eery quietness of no engines at all and you are kind of drifting with no land in sight!! Some people got stuck in elevators for a while; there was no air conditioning of course indoors and in the dining rooms; others in inside cabins came out into the hallways to see what ws going on (not knowing if it was day or night)!! Some people were getting nervous and having visions of "Titanic".

At least it was during the day and beautiful weather, so we could spend the day out by the pool. We had to miss the port of Aruba, since we lost so much time, and there was almost an uprising in the lobby because people were so upset about missing that port! It was crazy!

I think we got maybe a $25 or $50 pp shipboard credit. They definitely had a major problem though with the whole computer system on the ship - apparently they were working with the engineers on land, but it took about 8 hours for it to finally be fixed . . . .

I've never experienced a power outage on a ship where the the engines didn't go out also. The generators that power the engines also power the other stuff.

Last time was on the Grand Princess a few months ago. we were lucky that an emergency light was directly above our dinner table. Many others were eating in the dark. Waitors kept coming over to our table to read their notes as to who ordered what at the other tables and in general not having a good time.

WOW! This thread is way out of hand. From who built the generators to the Captain's at fault.

I can understand the frustration of the OP after paying what seems to be an exoribant amount. Looking forward to a cruise is a lot of fun and expectations are high but come on don't blame the Captain or the generators or the computers if you missed your excursion.

I think I read somewhere on this book being written that they were re-imbursed for the missed excursion. And I really understand some of the problems that they experienced when the lights went out. Getting to a restroom would have been awful and that's a justified gripe.

But to gripe about the biggest reason to take that cruise was for the excursion in Panama and missing it, well I would have suggested they take a flight down there and do the excursion. Might of been less expensive, but oh gawd, heaven forbid anything go wrong with a flight.

2 1/2 hours without propulsion and electricity with no inclement weather around annh, no big deal unless you gotta go to the head! Some gripes legit, others frustration. I understand it all and if it relieves them from a heart attack or upset stomach then welcome to the board. Not everything goes as it should, they voiced it now move on.;)

From all the comments about past experiences with power outages, it appears that they are not all that uncommon. Sure, it's an inconvenience, but for a 2 1/2 hour outage I'm confused as to why anyone thinks that is refund-worthy.

You missed your excursion, it's unfortunate, but it's a part of cruising.

I can understand the frustration of the OP after paying what seems to be an exoribant amount. Looking forward to a cruise is a lot of fun and expectations are high but come on don't blame the Captain or the generators or the computers if you missed your excursion.

She wasn't the OP, she was a hijacker.

Getting to a restroom would have been awful and that's a justified gripe.

But in the OP's post, the emergency lighting came on in seconds. The person that was doing the screaming was not the OP... and they were upset because they were in a jazzy and the elevators weren't working, so they couldn't get to the bathroom...

As I said, the power failure began at approximately 10pm. We were just finishing our coffee in the Golden Olympian Dining Room (830pm seating) when all the power went out, and within a few seconds, the emergency lighting went on.

steer·age http://cache.lexico.com/dictionary/graphics/AHD4/JPG/pron.jpg ( P ) Pronunciation Key (stîrhttp://cache.lexico.com/dictionary/graphics/AHD4/GIF/prime.gifhttp://cache.lexico.com/dictionary/graphics/AHD4/GIF/ibreve.gifj)

n.

1. The act or practice of steering.
  2. Nautical.

1. <LI type=a>The effect of the helm on a ship.
    2. The steering apparatus of a ship.
    3. The section of a passenger ship, originally near the rudder, providing the cheapest passenger accommodations.

Now it's called Category 1A or 4A. The name has changed but the concept has stayed the same....... It's not derogatory, it just refers to the cheapest accomodations.

WOW! This thread is way out of hand. From who built the generators to the Captain's at fault.

Please dont confuse me (the Original poster) withe the woman blaming the Captain who claims she paid an exhorbitant amount and the experience ruined her trip.

As the original poster, i was not complaining, blaming, or looking for anything in terms of compensation, I was merely informing and telling what happened. I had a great cruise and my stop in Panama was not disrupted in anyway.....My excursion went just as planned, it just started a few hours later.

Power outages are - and better be - uncommon.

Emergency lighting is just that - much of the ship is still in darkness. The common areas will have some, but I've never seen any in passenger cabins, for example.

I believe auntpam was just providing information - not asking for a collection plate to be passed. You can stop squeaking, now.

Now it's called Category 1A or 4A. The name has changed but the concept has stayed the same....... It's not derogatory, it just refers to the cheapest accomodations.

1. steerage thumbsup.gif 1 thumb up thumbsdown.gif

Derogatory term for the lower classes. Or someone who is a bit rough.Rank. Pikey. Like in Titanic when the posh bird asks Leonardo Di Caprio what is it like down in steerage, and he says something like "Fine, hardly any rats at all, Ma'am". Steerage is quite literally the cheapest accommodation on a passenger ship, but also describes so well someone who is a bit scummy!!!

(Muttered under ones breath when passing youths in bad clothes etc on the street), "Steerage".

Sorry, I didn't find any Titanic references on your dictionary for the word "derogatory"... I found the following:

1.derogatory: A statement intended to damages the mind of another; a hurtful statement

Student 1 - Hey! Quit eating the twinkies fat-ass!

Student 2 runs off sobbing

Teacher, who saw everything, rushes over to student 1

Teacher - I will be reporting you to the disciplinarian!Derogatory statements like that are completely inappropriate in this instititution and anywhere else. Come with me immediately!

I still dont believe "steerage" is a derogatory term, depsite what Auntpam says.

Brings up a good point, how do people in jazzys, wheel chairs, etc get to the lifeboat deck if the ship is sinking and the power goes out? There's got to be a plan for some kind of crew assistance (strechers, carry the chair etc). Why didn't they implement that to get her to the bathroom?

Archived