What time to get to the port...?

K.T.B.

Simple enough question. :) What time should I get to the port, in this case Canada Place, for a cruise that leaves at 5:30pm? I'm definitely one of those who believes getting there as early as humanly possible to avoid the crowds and to get onboard ASAP.

If you want to avoid the "crowds" then early isn't the answer, actually has the largest crowds, since the line isn't moving and just stacking up and up. :) But this would get you on the ship the earliest, you will just be spending time in line. Usually they start by noon, overall, no guarantees. I am a late arrival, plenty for me to do in Vancouver that is just wonderful. Easy to drive down and drop off the bags about 9am, and then I return about 2pm- never any significant waits then.

If you want to avoid the "crowds" then early isn't the answer, actually has the largest crowds, since the line isn't moving and just stacking up and up quote]

Fully agree. You will be waiting at the front of the line that is not moving, and a crowd will form behind you. If you need to be on board one hour before the cruise, then two hours before the cruise is about the safest planning with minimal crowd.

If you want to avoid the "crowds" then early isn't the answer, actually has the largest crowds, since the line isn't moving and just stacking up and up. :) But this would get you on the ship the earliest, you will just be spending time in line. Usually they start by noon, overall, no guarantees. I am a late arrival, plenty for me to do in Vancouver that is just wonderful. Easy to drive down and drop off the bags about 9am, and then I return about 2pm- never any significant waits then.
I can understand that! :) The only place I really had any problems with crowds was when we sailed out of New Orleans. I don't care if it's a 100% free cruise, I will never sail out of NO again..... I love the city, hate the port.

Anyway, I'm one of those who'd much rather get there early, get on board as soon as possible, and then relax. Most of the crowds then are leaving, not arriving. ;)

I can understand that! :)

Anyway, I'm one of those who'd much rather get there early, get on board as soon as possible, and then relax. Most of the crowds then are leaving, not arriving. ;)

If you are talking about passengers disembarking rather than lining up to board, not at Canada Place, I see plenty of people waiting to get on when I am getting off the ship even before 9am. :)

If you are talking about passengers disembarking rather than lining up to board, not at Canada Place, I see plenty of people waiting to get on when I am getting off the ship even before 9am. :)
Then I'll be among them! :D
Wow! I can't believe people would be waiting in line at 9AM to get on a ship leaving at 5! Don't they usually not allow people on board until around 11 or 12?
Well based purely on my experiences at other ports, I usually arrive around 9:30-10:00. By that time, there's barely 20 people waiting to board. I have no idea what to expect in Vancouver though.... Anyway, they do start the boarding process by about 11 and you "jump through the hoops" of paperwork, etc. For all 3 of my cruises, we were on board by 12:15 at the latest. :) Just in time for lunch on the Lido deck.
Easy to drive down and drop off the bags about 9am, and then I return about 2pm- never any significant waits then.

So Canada Place lets you check your bags that early? That is a sweet deal! We normally arrive to our cruise ports between 11:00-11:30 so that we can check out the ship and eat lunch. We like to get on early because we consider that an extra day on the ship. Arriving later would cause us to rush to get situated before dinner (early seating)... Also, I am a scrapbooker and I like to take some pics of the ship before too many peoople board... I suppose we will try that time frame again in Vancouver... just bringing a book to read.

Archived