Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

angel41

looking for cheap advice

We had planned on going to Key West, having our wedding on a sail charter, then cruising out of Miami or Fort Lauderdale in May of '07. Long story short, we just bought our house (YEA!!!) instead of waiting as planned until this time next year so we are really unsure how much we can spend on a wedding. We are now looking for a cheaper alternative. We still want to do the cruise (7 days minimum) but aren't sure where to do the ceremony. We want something different, I don't think we want to do a beach. Anyone have any wonderful suggestions? We are not locked into a date but want to avoid Spring Break, summer, hurricane season and we also can't get off work in December.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Been married 13 years now. Truly owning a house is better than the wedding was. You did a FANTASTIC thing!

Well the cruiselines will almost all arrange weddings on board before you sail. A lot of people do it and love it. You don't have to have tons of people with you and I know this does not sound romantic but.. I had a situation. I was married before and my ex kept promising to send my birth certificate (He was holding it hostage) well turns out he was mad at me and ripped it up and tossed it out. Gee thanks.

We had a huge "fake" wedding here because without a BC I could not get a liscense (adopted, it takes a little longer and this was RIGHT before the wedding). So we eloped after the wedding. That's right, we had two. The one with the 300 of my husbands and my closest friends and one in Las Vegas with just us. You know which one I remember? Which one was so perfect it brings me to tears? That's right, that little chapel in Vegas.

Not because it was Vegas rather we had one another and a minister who was a great guy, Elvis was our witness and that was fun. Is it for everyone? Heck no!!! BUT there is something to be said for a small wedding in a small venue.

Disney does lovely weddings for about 3 grand. They are held in several venues and not one of them are chessy and filled with 6 foot rats (Sorry MIckey but you know it's true. I love you anyway).

There are several lovely venues all over Florida. I know several hotels in Ft. Lauderdale and Naples will put an intimate wedding together too.

You can always have a really tiny wedding and a fun reception once you get home too.

NO matter what the wedding is just one day. I know people say that and then a lot of people want a big, fun wedding but in the end it's waking up with my husband every day for 13 wonderful years that has been the greatest gift. OK i'm crying, we are about to have our anniversary and I always get like this.

NO matter what the wedding is just one day. I know people say that and then a lot of people want a big, fun wedding but in the end it's waking up with my husband every day for 13 wonderful years that has been the greatest gift.

OMG...you're making me cry, that is so sweet :)

OMG...you're making me cry, that is so sweet :)

Thank you. Please save it on your harddrive and e-mail it to me the next time I want to bury him the backyard for doing something dorky. *I* never make mistakes :rolleyes:

Thanks for the tips. Honestly, I would be happy just taking a trip with just the two of us and do something small. I actually prefer it, but he wants something people can come to regardless of where it is. I'm still thinking something at the departure port b/c we definitely want to take a cruise but anything through the cruise lines seems so over priced to me. We know alot of people who have been married on a beach and want something a little different or with an added twist. I guess I'm still wanting to do a charter just maybe not in Key West.

By the way, congratulations on your 13 years.

Last Sept, DW and I had a stop at Half Moon Cay and watched a wedding on the bluff overlooking the beach. Beautiful day and great backdrop. Not too many people but nice.

Later that day I ran into the bride - She was horsebacking riding

- still wearing the princess tiara from her wedding.

J

If Carnival says they don't do weddings there the couple probably used their own coordinator on the island. Or perhaps it was a different cruise line?